Review Good vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Managed to get to the game tonight.

Something that really stood out to me was winning the contest and then giving lightning handballs out of stoppage. A lot of those were Laird.

Not sure how it looked on TV but we monstered them at the stoppage and contest. Nicks brand.
I havent seen us use our hands that well for a while. We actually handballed to advantage instead of passing to flat footed players in a worse position. I dont remember our guys hitting their team mate on a half volley either.

For all our dominance in the game, we still suck kicking into the forward line. Two best kicks were Sholl and ROB.
Still too much bombing the ball and rushed kicks to their loose man. Fog is such a good lead up we need someone giving a lead.

Great to see Stengle, MacAdam aka Birdman2 and the Big Easy really starting to gell as a forward group.

Matt Crouch has been enormous in the past two games. 12 tackles tonight. Unless we can get compo pick 2 for Brad he stays. Great to see us winning some clearances after the smashing we were getting a month ago.

Picked us this week as you could see the change last week, plus having 7 days break to their 4 is a big advantage. Good chance against Carltank.

Good to be ending the season with some hope.

Loved everything, well done club!

...... except.........

David ****ing King. Seriously, he did not shut up about that Sloane goal foe ages, and was trying to will bloody GWS to a win for the entire game.

Made me sick listening to him, he offers absolutely nothing in terms of commentary or analysis. He should be sacked from all football media roles.
1998 still bothers him.

Agree. They looked possessed. Mackay was being a bad boy tonight. Arguing, dangerous head bumps, attitude. Something is brewing down at West Lakes, and I like it!
It truly looks like nicks mantra of playing for each other has really taken hold now. Playing group looks tight and what I’ve noticed is that it’s young and old 👍

I’m happy for the coach and the boys because now they see the hope. Can you imagine the thought of a winless season. It is something that would play on their psyche forever - oppositions would use it during games to sledge etc.

Now we have equaled Carltons number of wins from 2018 so let’s do it again this week against the same side and make it three on the trot.

We will still finish bottom however 3-14 is a whole lot better than 0-17.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are far from the worst team in the comp.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
We really need to nail our draft because I doubt we’ll be getting pick 1 in 2021.
2020 Probably the worst year in the history of the universe, for having pick one unfortunately.

Good

Turned it around, think we've been foxing all season

I was wrong on Rob and Berg

Macadam and Stengle giving more than Eddie and Mudguts

Bad

Not much...maybe not hitting their percentage

Ugly

This needs to be called out as unacceptable from the commentators. At 1/4 time, Himmelberg slots a goal from 40 after the siren and David King said " Himmelberg kicks the goal...and his mum loves it" Seriously, that is 90s blokey humour at its worst and something that should have been left behind in those North Melbourne locker rooms when he and Carey played. Whether Himmelbergs mum "loves it" or not should not be brought up, it is disrespectful to Himmelberg, his mum and dad, who were just trying to watch a game of football without captain smut, David King making disgraceful suggestions
I can’t for the life of me understand your issue with this. Why wouldn’t his mum love her son kicking a goal. Please explain the smutty part to this.

Really good:
--- seeing a Nicks' plan, finally. GWS consistently forced to go down the line = planned and executed with discipline, with Sloane often playing General.
--- solid win on the back of 4-quarter effort and pressure, finally. LOVED that!! :D
GWS are not Flag-standard but they're no bunnies, either.
Good:
--- Himmelberg's marking!/blocking/second efforts, he looked like a good player tonight (now, if only someone will show him how to kick when 20m out and under no pressure :grimacing:)
--- McAdam, not as silky as our most famous #23, but strong mark/good hands/kicks goals and getting tougher by the week.
I'm happy to be wrong about both of the above
--- Laird, loved his game tonight.
--- RoB, his work around the ground is excellent and his tap-to-player improving (the fact that our mids are moving and calling better helps)
--- Sholl & Schoenberg will be very good players
--- Keays, Mr. Consistency, great evasion skills
--- Brouch, I hope he stays tbh. Mrouch still burns the ball a bit (misses teammates, finds opponents), but is twice the player of 4-5 weeks ago and 12! tackles!!

Not-so-good (avoiding 'bad') --- goalkicking and disposal skills still need work. Many examples. At one stage in 2nd quarter Talia intercept-marked, paused, looked --- while he was looking I said aloud, "Don't kick it to a player in white" three times, then I said "Watch this" to my flatmate. Sure enough, Talia picked out the only GWS player among 4 Crows 45m away, for an uncontested mark.
--- still too many bombs I50 but Himmelberg has learned to bring some of them to ground.

Needed: Innovative forward Coach to add structure and bring out the best in McAdam/Stengle/Himmelberg/Fog/ Murphy.
Bin Ben.

Made the comment to my mate tonight at the game, Bunji was a Rolls Royce, smooth and classy but McAdam could well be a Ferrari, exciting and dangerous.

Meanwhile here's what you said about Elliot Himmelberg just 2 months ago.

You were wrong about him like you are wrong about everything, lol.
Settle down. Your history of posting on this forum is a bumbling set of disasters, so you don't need to do a drive-by on me.

Literally every human watching football thought that about Himmelburg. Saying "unlikely to be a useful footballer" is hardly bagging the kid, who had been on our list for 4+ years before showing anything.

And I've certainly said I was wrong IN THIS THREAD.

Nice pull of a two month old post, too. That's a bit creepy, if I'm honest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good
- Kids have the keys to the kingdom
- overhead marking
- Sholl doing that thing where he kicks the ball and it goes exactly where he wants it to. Wizardry perhaps?
- feelings of happiness

Bad
- Me wanting Berg to be put through the wood chipper. I'm sorry, I was wrong. Now just sort out the kicking for goal

Who would have thought this to be a headline a few weeks ago

'Our midfield let us down': Cameron fumes after shock loss

Leon Cameron has slammed his underperforming midfielders after the loss to Adelaide
Cameron said the Crows "obliterated" his under-siege onball brigade in the opening term, when they grabbed the lead and never let it go in eventually winning by 12 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back