UEFA Nations League 2020–21 (France Champions)

Remove this Banner Ad

He's playing a Liverpool style game without the quality players. That's why Grealish isn't starting

Do you reckon Grealish regrets not following Foden & Greenwood in shagging Icelandic worldies rather than sitting on the bench behind the likes of fecking Rice & Dier?

France 4-2 Croatia
Belgium 5-1 Iceland
Sweden 0-2 Portugal
Denmark 0-0 England

Well that was 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Rubbish by England and it was all Southgate's fault. Got the system wrong and the personel.

Don't play three central defenders plus wing backs if your left wing back is a midget right back. The two wing backs were taking up space that Sancho and Sterling like to play in. Phillips was poor at first then grew into it but why have two holding players? Having Phillips next to him detracted from Rice's game. Neither has much creativity. Dier is B grade.

Southgate takes Sancho off for Mount. Later, Philips off for Grealish. Mount told to play as one of two holding midfielders. Grealish was looking at Southgate like - are you sure? Grealish looked dangerous when he came on but only had a few minutes.

Coady was funny - making his debut and bossing everyone around. Typical scouse gobshite lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

165 games 101 goals Ronaldo what quality strikes they were once in a lifetime player.

Well that was 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Rubbish by England and it was all Southgate's fault. Got the system wrong and the personel.

Don't play three central defenders plus wing backs if your left wing back is a midget right back. The two wing backs were taking up space that Sancho and Sterling like to play in. Phillips was poor at first then grew into it but why have two holding players? Having Phillips next to him detracted from Rice's game. Neither has much creativity. Dier is B grade.

Lol, Phillips is literally the creative force of Leeds, he is plenty creative if he's utilized correctly, in the right position.

Southgate is no Bielsa that's for sure.

He needs to play as a DLP with an advanced midfielder in front of him, if anything Rice was detracting off of Phillips. Rice has never played as deep playmaker in his life.

It should have been Phillips with Mount/Grealish.

Give Phillips some room to operate in front of the defense and he destroys sides.

Lol, Phillips is literally the creative force of Leeds, he is plenty creative if he's utilized correctly, in the right position.

Southgate is no Bielsa that's for sure.

He needs to play as a DLP with an advanced midfielder in front of him, if anything Rice was detracting off of Phillips. Rice has never played as deep playmaker in his life.

It should have been Phillips with Mount/Grealish.

Give Phillips some room to operate in front of the defense and he destroys sides.

Southgate was all over the shop with this game. Two holding players wasn't merited, then he failed to fix it when it obviously wasn't working. Having two wing backs when he didn't have the personnel. Initially, not even selecting Grealish in the squad then only giving him a few minutes.

When I have watched Phillips he has usually played a similar role to what Rice does for West Ham. Defensive mid, breaking up the opposition play then retaining the ball by moving it on to a team mate. If you are going to pick one of them Rice definitely has points on the board compared to a player with only Championship experience.

DLP position is interesting. I reckon you use it instead of a deep defensive midfielder. But if you do, at the top level, the guy has to be world class like Pirlo or Busquets. It needs elite retaining and passing ability, because if that guy gives away the ball you are ****ed. See Billy Gilmour dragged by Frankie at Chelsea.
Scholes and Rooney did it towards the end of their careers but there is no one at that level right now for England. I don't think Phillips made a forward pass in the first half and gave the ball away a few times. He might well prove himself but right now I don't think he should make the squad if Henderson and Winks are fit.

Southgate was all over the shop with this game. Two holding players wasn't merited, then he failed to fix it when it obviously wasn't working. Having two wing backs when he didn't have the personnel. Initially, not even selecting Grealish in the squad then only giving him a few minutes.

When I have watched Phillips he has usually played a similar role to what Rice does for West Ham. Defensive mid, breaking up the opposition play then retaining the ball by moving it on to a team mate. If you are going to pick one of them Rice definitely has points on the board compared to a player with only Championship experience.

DLP position is interesting. I reckon you use it instead of a deep defensive midfielder. But if you do, at the top level, the guy has to be world class like Pirlo or Busquets. It needs elite retaining and passing ability, because if that guy gives away the ball you are f’ed. See Billy Gilmour dragged by Frankie at Chelsea.
Scholes and Rooney did it towards the end of their careers but there is no one at that level right now for England. I don't think Phillips made a forward pass in the first half and gave the ball away a few times. He might well prove himself but right now I don't think he should make the squad if Henderson and Winks are fit.

He plays nothing like Rice at West Ham really. Who either plays a game at CB or as a pure DM.

They play in round about ways similar positions, but definately different role

Like I said, Phillips has been one of the best players in the championship and forced his way into the England side playing as a DLP.

He will be playing as a DLP against Liverpool on the weekend. He was complete s**t as a box-to-box english style midfielder before Bielsa came along.

When we aren't in possession he often drops into the center of our back 2 to form a back 3.

League A upcoming fixtures.

Group 1

11 October 2020 Bosnia and Herzegovina v Netherlands
11 October 2020 Poland v Italy
14 October 2020 Italy v Netherlands
14 October 2020 Poland v Bosnia and Herzegovina

Group 2

11 October 2020 England v Belgium
11 October 2020 Iceland v Denmark
14 October 2020 England v Denmark
14 October 2020 Iceland v Belgium

Group 3

11 October 2020 Croatia v Sweden
11 October 2020 France v Portugal
14 October 2020 Croatia v France
14 October 2020 Portugal v Sweden

Group 4

10 October 2020 Spain v Switzerland
10 October 2020 Ukraine v Germany
13 October 2020 Germany v Switzerland
13 October 2020 Ukraine v Spain

League A upcoming fixtures.

Group 1

11 October 2020 Bosnia and Herzegovina v Netherlands
11 October 2020 Poland v Italy
14 October 2020 Italy v Netherlands
14 October 2020 Poland v Bosnia and Herzegovina

Group 2

11 October 2020 England v Belgium
11 October 2020 Iceland v Denmark
14 October 2020 England v Denmark
14 October 2020 Iceland v Belgium

Group 3

11 October 2020 Croatia v Sweden
11 October 2020 France v Portugal
14 October 2020 Croatia v France
14 October 2020 Portugal v Sweden

Group 4

10 October 2020 Spain v Switzerland
10 October 2020 Ukraine v Germany
13 October 2020 Germany v Switzerland
13 October 2020 Ukraine v Spain
*n mouth watering

Giroud with a brace, Havertz a couple of assists and Kepa with a clean sheet. Surprised he started over de gea

They were all just friendlies chef. UEFA insisted on every country playing a friendly as well as the two Nations League games.

England play Wales this morning but we will probably see experimental line ups and plenty of subs.

The Nations League games start at the weekend.

3 CBs and two holding mids!?! What was Southgate thinking?

He did it again against Wales. The wing backs didn't push on until late in the game so it was pretty much a 5-2-1-2 formation against a fairly weak opponent.

The good news is that Grealish started and was probably England's best player. Ings and DCL also had good games. But wouldn't be surprised if they all drop to the bench v Belgium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back