No Oppo Supporters Essendon* - 6900 & Beyond - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Possibly but he was not exactly an efficient user by foot..

Don't think he is a big loss for * myself.
Think we get it wrong with some of these Irish imports. We train them all to be Tadhg Kennelly, and we as fans look at what they do and think, "It's a lovely kicking action and a long kick, and he's fast, but he doesn't read the play particularly well nor does he really give it to the person in the right spot."

What a lot of them are as HBF's is the ball 80m closer to your goals in less than 3 seconds. That's the value. Sure, you don't get what you'd get from someone like Saad or Whitfield, but Whitfield once kicked 16 goals as a midfielder in a game of football and went at pick 1.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
What a circus it's becoming at * Land. Daniher will likely leave, Hooker and Hurley on their last legs to be honest and Mosquito is out for next season as well. Rutten hasn't really done anything to prove his worth yet.. WHAT WAS SHIEL THINKING??? They have a lot more pain to come before they contend for anything
I reckon we should offer a 2nd rounder for him, just to take the piss.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rustica

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Bull Racing F1
I reckon we should offer a 2nd rounder for him, just to take the piss.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I wonder if he has sleepless nights lmao.. he has f'ed up so badly imo. Got first class treatment from our recruitment team, let alone had the opportunity of bigger bodies (Cripps, Setterfield and Curnow) doing all the hard yards for him to use the ball uncontested.

Could be his or Mark Williams fault but * don't have any big bodied midfielders to shoulder the burden of the inside ball. Shiel is not a contested player but he is almost always in that centre square. Spewing, could have had him and Walshy/Murphy on the wings with Crippa, Setters and Ed playing the inside ball.

His loss at the end of the day. But it sucks seeing potential players who could have made a difference to our team make mistakes like that.

I see the Bombers as a bottom 5 side next few seasons.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
This is not going to be a popular post, but I see 2020 Essendon similarly to how I saw 2016 Richmond. I see them doing something completely different, working in a weird direction compared to the rest of the comp, and it won't make sense what they're doing until they 'finish'.

For a team that doesn't have any true inside mids, they don't struggle to get the ball the way Richmond does. For a team that doesn't tackle, they don't struggle to get their opponents to kick to their intercept defenders, which almost all of their defense can do. They have a number of problems - of which allowing their opponents to take the ball from one end all the way to the other without any pressure is one, and their scoring when Daniher is not out there or performing is another - but they aren't insurmountable by any means. Sure, they'd need 4-6 players standing up and having career best years and they need to add 1-3 more players to their midfield rotation, but their problem is structural and gameplan related rather than personnel related.

It's like their coaches want to play a completely different brand to what they're telling Dodo to build the list for, or someone higher up in the club is interfering with the football department. In either case, I hope they don't get their act together, but I'm going to be unsurprised if things manage to click.

Now, someone go get a mod and red card me.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
This is not going to be a popular post, but I see 2020 Essendon similarly to how I saw 2016 Richmond. I see them doing something completely different, working in a weird direction compared to the rest of the comp, and it won't make sense what they're doing until they 'finish'.

For a team that doesn't have any true inside mids, they don't struggle to get the ball the way Richmond does. For a team that doesn't tackle, they don't struggle to get their opponents to kick to their intercept defenders, which almost all of their defense can do. They have a number of problems - of which allowing their opponents to take the ball from one end all the way to the other without any pressure is one, and their scoring when Daniher is not out there or performing is another - but they aren't insurmountable by any means. Sure, they'd need 4-6 players standing up and having career best years and they need to add 1-3 more players to their midfield rotation, but their problem is structural and gameplan related rather than personnel related.

It's like their coaches want to play a completely different brand to what they're telling Dodo to build the list for, or someone higher up in the club is interfering with the football department. In either case, I hope they don't get their act together, but I'm going to be unsurprised if things manage to click.

You rang!

thumb_COLOURBOX3898426.jpg

Hey Aphrodite, can you please issue me with a temporary Mod licence so I can red card this post?

Happy to hand it back immediately thereafter. TIA

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton

Don't think so. Hooker and Hurley are just about done. Without Joe their key forward stocks are Stewart, mckernan and Townsend. Read those names again and weep. No inside midfielders.their spine looks like like it will be the worst in the AFL shortly.
Ridley looks good, draper could be o.k. McGrath and saad are good footballers. Shiel and Merritt are over rated but passable. That's it. More holes than a sieve.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Don't think so. Hooker and Hurley are just about done. Without Joe their key forward stocks are Stewart, mckernan and Townsend. Read those names again and weep. No inside midfielders.their spine looks like like it will be the worst in the AFL shortly.
Ridley looks good, draper could be o.k. McGrath and saad are good footballers. Shiel and Merritt are over rated but passable. That's it. More holes than a sieve.
... all of which could be true, because it reflects conventional wisdom. I'm terribly afraid they're doing something ahead of the curve, and it's going to work.

Feb 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Celtics, AC Milan

Richmond had Dustin Martin, Cotchin, Riewoldt and Rance as their pillars and added in Prestia, Caddy etc. Essendon don’t have a Dustin Martin, nor a Rance, you would say Cotchin has been better than all of their midfielders so far. Daniher wants to leave and probably will. Not sure what they’re trying to do but reality is there list is very unbalanced. Doesn’t have key position forwards of note apart from Daniher and limited key backs coming through once Hooker and Hurley and they’re not far off that. But who knows their best is decent when they click.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Richmond had Dustin Martin, Cotchin, Riewoldt and Rance as their pillars and added in Prestia, Caddy etc. Essendon don’t have a Dustin Martin, nor a Rance, you would say Cotchin has been better than all of their midfielders so far. Daniher wants to leave and probably will. Not sure what they’re trying to do but reality is there list is very unbalanced. Doesn’t have key position forwards of note apart from Daniher and limited key backs coming through once Hooker and Hurley and they’re not far off that. But who knows their best is decent when they click.
Essendon doesn't have and answer to Martin, but Cotchin wasn't the player then that he is considered to be now, and nor (to a certain extent) was Riewoldt. In 2017, Riewoldt was a colossal part of why they won that breakthrough flag by playing the most threatening dummy full forward in history, being used as a bluff as often as he was used properly. I rate Hurley higher than I do Rance; he's done about as well with less help.

Richmond looked unbalanced until it clicked, and no-one saw it coming because their game is if not completely new is built around repeat sprinting and sustaining pressure in a way that simply wasn't possible before them.

It's like hearing a song I'm familiar with but can't quite remember; I'm reaching for the words but the song just won't come. Essendon's list is built for speed, then outside accumulation, then burst power, then disposal quality, then proper structure; their priorities are strange. As I said, I hope they don't get their act together, but I've an unsettling feeling they might just shove it up everyone.

ajb72

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Essendon doesn't have and answer to Martin, but Cotchin wasn't the player then that he is considered to be now, and nor (to a certain extent) was Riewoldt. In 2017, Riewoldt was a colossal part of why they won that breakthrough flag by playing the most threatening dummy full forward in history, being used as a bluff as often as he was used properly. I rate Hurley higher than I do Rance; he's done about as well with less help.

Richmond looked unbalanced until it clicked, and no-one saw it coming because their game is if not completely new is built around repeat sprinting and sustaining pressure in a way that simply wasn't possible before them.

It's like hearing a song I'm familiar with but can't quite remember; I'm reaching for the words but the song just won't come. Essendon's list is built for speed, then outside accumulation, then burst power, then disposal quality, then proper structure; their priorities are strange. As I said, I hope they don't get their act together, but I've an unsettling feeling they might just shove it up everyone.
Their game plan is unsustainable IMHO.
Their defence has been better this year, but their offense has been worse.

They rely on turnovers, speed and overlapping through the midfield, getting uncontested possessions up forward and easy goals. They play ETIHAD or whatever it is called, well because it suits fast precision football. They struggle against contested teams, like carlton, because we are happy to make it a slog and a contest after another. This is where their weakness, their lack of inside mids gets found out, as they dont win enough ball.

But, even going well they struggle the longer the year goes as the running at speed is taxing, and the lighter running players get smashed into and sorer as the year goes on.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Their game plan is unsustainable IMHO.
Their defence has been better this year, but their offense has been worse.

They rely on turnovers, speed and overlapping through the midfield, getting uncontested possessions up forward and easy goals. They play ETIHAD or whatever it is called, well because it suits fast precision football. They struggle against contested teams, like carlton, because we are happy to make it a slog and a contest after another. This is where their weakness, their lack of inside mids gets found out, as they dont win enough ball.

But, even going well they struggle the longer the year goes as the running at speed is taxing, and the lighter running players get smashed into and sorer as the year goes on.
Richmond's pressure in 2017 was considered to be unsustainable, because no-one had done it to that point. Fast forward to the finals in 2019, and they were still ******* doing it. Geelong's take risks game was considered to be unsustainable due to how risky each use of the corridor is; they only stopped when Scott became coach, after 2 flags.

Beyond this, I don't disagree with you. My problem is that so many are looking at why Essendon won't succeed, instead of looking at what they do and have done well. Perhaps this isn't the thread for serious consideration of Essendon's game or list, but they're underperforming. I am going to wait until they genuinely start playing terrible football for a season before I declare them the busts that everyone has suddenly determined they are.

hoddo22

Club Legend
Jan 22, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills
If Daniher still is weighing up between Sydney and *, it's no contest. Sydney has some promising looking youngsters, gives effort and will be better coached.

20% drop in membership as well. Off field starting to get messy as well. They'll blame Covid but 5 other teams had increases whilst the tigers and eagles topped 100k.

On SM-A530F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back