Autopsy Rd 16 Blues pull off comeback victory from 7 goals down

Who played well in Round 16 vs the Swans?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Iamcarlton

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2015
Up North
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cubs , Penguins
Really disappointed with the the McGovern hate. Sure, he hasn’t been good at all in the last two games, but it’s edging toward McKernan territory when he was booed by our own fans back in 2002. McKernan won the B&F that year.

I’m as scathing toward the team as anyone, but when mob mentality goes after an individual it’s pretty distasteful.
Maybe send the messaging to the match committee because theyve set him up for his latest failure .
Has he ever played a reserves game at Carlton after his injuries and breaks ?
After a 5 or 6 week break he walks straight back into the side off very questionable form .
Some players need continuity looks like he's one wouldnt be easy to come into our forwardline at the best of times yet he comes straight in .
Imo his form is a failure of his management and not being made to earn his place .
Will be very interesting what they do with him next game .

90N90S

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Walsh best on, just a gun.

TDK continues to impress.

Cripps did some good hard body work.

SPS belongs in the middle, will keep saying this every time we don't play him im the middle.

Should we just leave McGovern in the square and tell him to stay there, clear everyone out and play big H near the 50?

Plow was good on Papley, Papley wants to come to Carlton.

Weits is just a star, AA easliy in my books. Would go close to the Brownlow if they weren't obsessed with center players.

Another week and more of the same.
Win or lose, I'm buoyed for being able to see what is coming about; The good and the bad.
We have a good platform to launch from, leading into next year.....players, coaches, memberships, sponsorships...and supporters

The form of De Koning is a highlight. He's just what we needed and the timing is perfect. Could be our #1 ruck as soon as next year.
Williamson coming on and staying in good health will prove to be very important for us, also.

It's also good for the lesser lights to have had a bit of a look in, whether they're on the books next year or not.
I did not expect all of Cottrell, Honey, Philp, Owies, Moore and Polson to have been granted games this year...not at all.

skadoosh

Premiership Player
May 26, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Let's get one thing clear, SPS didn't play as a mid. He followed his opponent to the edge of stoppages

Was it a shift in tactics by Teague to allow him to take the highest forward? Let's hope so

Clubs can counter that, so looking forward to how that plays out next game
If anything, I hope it makes it clear that SPS isn't and shouldn't be played as a lock-down defender. He should be given the licence to roam as far as his tank allows and where he can get his hands on the ball to distribute.

Yep, but umpire should also bow his head in shame. What a disgraceful decision. So sick of their sub-par performances this year. Another very poor decision that could have changed a game.

Surely the umpire saw him throw his head back. Such a poor call given the state of where the game was.
Just a very bad call.

Blue Chip Pass

All Australian
Apr 20, 2017
Warrandyte
AFL Club
Carlton
OK, I'm a bit late with my review on SPS.
Before I start that. The only thing more amazing than our win last night, is this footy thread.
28 Pages by 8.30am the next day. We surely must have the biggest forum in the league.
You guys are as crazy as Cotrell.
Anyway on SPS, I think my Avatar is very apt for SPS. There were lots of Blue Chip passing.
Early on, he missed some tackles, he slipped over and I thought, please no.
But he kept putting his body on the line, second efforts were great.
The smothered kick was fantastic. It was well noted he spent more time in the middle.
I think he links up play really well, can play with more freedom.
Was a very good game overall from SPS.
Great games from Walsh, Weitering, Plow & TDK.

Those points swings are still very much a concern, reduce that and we are definitely a finals side

Agree. I've said previously we can match it with the best for extended periods of games. We just need to cut out these run ons teams get on.
As you say, stop these and we are very much a finals team.

Sheephead

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2009
In a good paddock
AFL Club
Carlton
Owies gave away a few free kicks for in the back, couldnt kick over a jam tin twice, but you know what, I really like what I saw, his speed and game sense for a Cat B rookie, we may have a winner. TDK is a good looking rooster, but damn he has good ground skills and can jump fences running away from angry fathers. SPS was Yarran-esque in the wet

haveago

lovethegame02
Apr 29, 2015
north west Melb.
AFL Club
Carlton
I nominate WALSH to captain the Mars project after his career is over ... him and 20 of the finest female of our species. The Mars colony only needs his males genes. Guy is a mans man! At bloody 20!
Not until he has played 300 games, and he can have one female for every Cup we have won by then......Twenty sounds about right :thumbsu:

haveago

lovethegame02
Apr 29, 2015
north west Melb.
AFL Club
Carlton
thought he was a little audacious on abc radio after the game suggesting taylor's free kick didn't look much like a free kick......what do I know........
I know eggs dont bounce......

My 21 y/o son called it in last few minutes.......Watch em duck their heads and stage for a free...... From the mouths of babes :D

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
It’s probably the 17-game season, but I rarely think I’ve seen the ladder so accurately reflect where we are at.

We’ve beaten everyone below us except Hawthorn
We’ve lost to all the top eight except Geelong

On reflection, the 8-point games were against St Kilda, Collingwood, the Dogs, Melbourne and GWS. We won one of those games and were close in three others.

The task for the club in the off-season is to finish ahead of the ledger in those sort of games. Then we play finals.

Earls Smother

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
We play so much better in wet conditions suits out contested style.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
We need a ground that is wet in the back two thirds and dry up forward :)

What we gain in the middle, we lose in ability to take contested marks up forward. Game on Sunday is at 1:05pm so we might finally see what sort of dry weather footy we can play.

It’s probably the 17-game season, but I rarely think I’ve seen the ladder so accurately reflect where we are at.
We’ve beaten everyone below us except Hawthorn
We’ve lost to all the top eight except Geelong
On reflection, the 8-point games were against St Kilda, Collingwood, the Dogs, Melbourne and GWS. We won one of those games and were close in three others.
The task for the club in the off-season is to finish ahead of the ledger in those sort of games. Then we play finals.

True, but he point is that we've been more than competitive against just about every team, but had lapses in just about every game.

Compact those lapses. That's what e have to do. Learn how to shut things down, when things aren't going our way.
It's not such a huge issue and at least we know where we are and these things are 'fixable'

I know it's probably been mentioned but Cottrell reminds me so much of Robbo.

Pretty sure you're the first :)

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Was so close to turning off at quarter time. Felt like another game where we just didn't show up, minimal pressure, poor disposal, opposition with a tailwind could do no wrong.

Bloody glad I stuck it out.

Walsh is incredible, and what we're seeing now is the reason he went at number one - he goes all day long. In an interrupted season with incredibly short recovery times, he's still motoring along better than most players in the comp.

Much better game from Crippa - played his role well and that was it. Nice change from him trying to do too much, or looking fatigued and doing very little. Find the balance, Skip, there are 21 other blokes out there.

Backline were fantastic as a collective. Towelled up early due to some poor pressure up the field, and Sydney seemingly couldn't miss even in heavy rain. Fought back and blanketed the Swans after that.

Special mention to SPS. What a difference it makes when he actually takes the ball for a bit of a run! People seem to think he was playing midfield. He wasn't. He was getting the ball at HB and then actually running forward with it. Kind of like...you know...every other HB in the comp. His 30m passes are genuinely damaging when they're 45 degree kicks inboard, forward of centre. Message seems to have gotten through - hopefully he maintains it.

De Koning was good in the middle (being honest, he was up against Sinclair and Aliir, so you'd expect him to be), but his work around the ground was super impressive. Flew for a few marks, and seems to have good instincts when the ball is on the deck. Should persist, but also be sensible about it and make sure he gets a spell when he needs it.

That goal from Fisher deserves it's own paragraph. Guided it to his foot with one hand, out of the air. Never actually took possession. Incredible stuff. Probably needs to improve his defensive game a little more, but he can certainly carve out a role in the forward line the way he's playing.

Passable debut from Owies. Felt he was a bit unlucky with some of the frees paid against him. One in the back that wasn't in the back, another where he'd already caused an incorrect disposal before falling into the back (thought in that case that the first free should be the one that gets paid). Would have been great to see him slot the goal when he worked hard to create space for himself. Definitely something to work with there.

Gov was disappointing, but I do understand why he played. TDK sole ruck, meant Casboult would have to go in there when TDK had a rest on the bench. Without Gov, that would have left Harry as the only target up forward. Going to be interesting to see how selection goes next year when Charlie is back. Charlie + Harry is a given. Gov balances them out better than Levi I think, but he'll need to start hitting the scoreboard a bit more often. Begs the question as to who plays as secondary ruck though. Big preseasons could even see guys like JSOS and Kemp in the mix for that third tall spot.

Cottrell. Redeemed himself after a very ordinary performance. Disposal needs a lot of work, doubt it will ever be spectacular but he'll need to learn his limitations and play within them. Just disappointed that the circumstances (short turnaround, tiny crowds) will limit how much he can really enjoy it. Seems to be a popular young lad though, and is the type of personality our club needs to fire up the more stoic crowd we've cultivated.

Overall, a good example of why we probably won't play finals. Inconsistency within games is a killer against good opposition (not to mention poor opposition), and when we're off we're awful. The upside is that in future, when we're 6 goals down at half time, this group won't be giving up. Any game is winnable. The downside...opposition know it too. When we're 6 goals up at half time, we can't relax at all because the other side will know that they can be back within reach with just 15 minutes of good play.

Back