Autopsy Rd 16 Blues pull off comeback victory from 7 goals down

Who played well in Round 16 vs the Swans?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We need a ground that is wet in the back two thirds and dry up forward :)

What we gain in the middle, we lose in ability to take contested marks up forward. Game on Sunday is at 1:05pm so we might finally see what sort of dry weather footy we can play.

Our forward line setups are all wrong. On too many occasions we are kicking long to either a pack of multiple talls or none at all. The connections (correct terminology these days :rolleyes: ) between the midfielders and forwards is a mess or more importantly our deliver into the F50 is a mess. Fix this up and not just finals ....

I really wish the commentators hadn’t mentioned the Mitch Robinson comparisons with Cottrell cause you know that when we play Brisbane in 2 weeks that Robbo will go after him now and I hope he doesn’t go to far and hurt the kid.

reckon mitchy would be more likely to embrace it and help the kid.

I really wish the commentators hadn’t mentioned the Mitch Robinson comparisons with Cottrell cause you know that when we play Brisbane in 2 weeks that Robbo will go after him now and I hope he doesn’t go to far and hurt the kid.
I really do not think Robbo's that vindictive.

Our forward line setups are all wrong. On too many occasions we are kicking long to either a pack of multiple talls or none at all. The connections (correct terminology these days :rolleyes: ) between the midfielders and forwards is a mess or more importantly our deliver into the F50 is a mess. Fix this up and not just finals ....
Absolutey. But we must be coached to do that in the hope one of the big 3 might be able to take some grabs. Our crumbing is generally poor, and our leading is not great.

The last 3 weeks we have kicked the ball to Moore, Haynes and then last night a mixture of McCartin and Melican. The workrate of the talls is probably not lazy - it is just dumb. One of those defenders needed a Gov knee to make them more reluctant next time. I've defended him, but at some stage you need to get near the ball.

I'm sure the constantly wet, greasy, dewy conditions is not helping the connection though. The midfielders are more pressured and rushed, and the forward line is more congested - easier to block etc. when they have the outnumber back there.

It was nice to see Blakey hurt himself going for a cheap shot on a bloke unprotected and going for the mark. Even nicer to see the boys drive halfway to China every time he got the ball afterwards.
Err...don't think Blakey was going for a cheap shot...
Pretty poor form to say it's nice to see someone get injured.
Those tackles were great tackles, and I definitely wouldn't think our players were targeting him or his shoulder at all.

please Don’t get me wrong, I'm over the moon that the boys found a way to win after yet another poor start. Loved the second half effort, but i’m extremely annoyed how the umpires again, and not for the first time this year, have made such a poor decision which could have ultimately cost us the game. Normally in the last 2 mins the umpires put the whistle away, except for obvious free kicks, but tonight they gave Lewis Taylor a gift when it was clearly not a free kick. its been a long year, but I’m tired of the umpires doing their utmost to impact the game. I’m sure the reactions on here tonight would have been much different had he kicked that goal. Fortunately for us, he choked.
I don't think we can whinge too much.

That decision was bullshit, but we got 50% more frees. Deservedly so, as for most of the game we were the ones making the play, despite what the stupid scoreboard said.

Really disappointed with the the McGovern hate. Sure, he hasn’t been good at all in the last two games, but it’s edging toward McKernan territory when he was booed by our own fans back in 2002. McKernan won the B&F that year.

I’m as scathing toward the team as anyone, but when mob mentality goes after an individual it’s pretty distasteful.
I really dislike the personal attacks - someone even said shoot McGovern, I’m sure not literally but poor taste in the current environment. Doesn’t remove the fact that he didn’t even do the effort things on a night when they were essential. His play was poor at best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think we can whinge too much.

That decision was bullshit, but we got 50% more frees. Deservedly so, as for most of the game we were the ones making the play, despite what the stupid scoreboard said.
Free kick count =/= favorable umpiring. Just because we got more doesn't mean we should accept a crap decision against us.

Free kick counts are just used by the media and broadcasters to rile up fans, it's an awful guide as to whether or not umpiring is one sided.

SPS brilliant after probably his best game for the club last week. Very much a confidence player, and could see him grow in believe and back himself in. Martin went out of his way to get Samo involved early - good to see.

TDK huge in the ruck. Pitto a decent backup but Tom is the future.

Cottrell - good last quarter as a whole. 6 touches in the last when the game was on the line, not to mention the mark and goal. Has to stay in after that.

Walsh was huge again. Clearly our best player over the past 8 weeks, and probably the premier wingman in the comp. Was keen on seeing him move back into the middle, but he owns the wing. 600m gained, composure, gut running, goal kicking - what a player we've got.

Been harsh on Doc but a couple huge efforts in the last. He's no longer trying to do too much and is playing his role nicely. Hopefully next year he gets back to his AA best after another preseason.

We saw the Cripps we know and love tonight. Moved better than he has in weeks, was strong in the contest, stood up in tackles. Can't wait for him to get himself right and shut up the knockers come 2021.

Love Plow. Good to see him finally getting the recognition he deserves. He was huge tonight, and has been very good or better for the majority of the season. Very rarely beaten, plays small, plays tall - all much of a muchness for him. Weiters is huge. Incredible footballer. Monster kick.

Haven't seen much love for Setters but he was phenomenal defensively in the last. Had 7 tackles in the last quarter - surely must be some record for most tackles in a quarter. His repeat efforts on the wing where he pressured 3 players was teamlifting.

This is what you want to see. He actually had a very fumbly game, but rather than withdraw into his shell, he stuck at it and was very important.

As Diesel said (re Dow) Setters is playing more like a man now. Exactly why he is playing regularly and some others aren't.

Lyon this morning on SEN still only has him 4th in his draft year .... who did melbourne pick that year? Oh yeah they traded their pick 5 for a spud 🤣

let them all say he’s not the best in that draft. I think it drives him to be even better. Since Cornes opened his mouth he’s been unbelievable. Keep the comments coming. I think out of all of those picks Walsh has the most resolve along with Smith and for that reason Walsh and Smith will be the most consistent players from that crop. It’s An amazing crop and I think we picked the hardest worker in it with the biggest heart. Heart and hard work Is the basis of all great sides.

how many number 1 picks have we had in the past with Walsh’s resolve? Apart from Kruezer none and it cost us top 4 finishes and ultimately premierships. Give me Walsh everyday of the week.

let them all say he’s not the best in that draft. I think it drives him to be even better. Since Cornes opened his mouth he’s been unbelievable. Keep the comments coming. I think out of all of those picks Walsh has the most resolve along with Smith and for that reason Walsh and Smith will be the most consistent players from that crop. It’s An amazing crop and I think we picked the hardest worker in it with the biggest heart. Heart and hard work Is the basis of all great sides.

how many number 1 picks have we had in the past with Walsh’s resolve? Apart from Kruezer none and it cost us top 4 finishes and ultimately premierships. Give me Walsh everyday of the week.
Weiters going OK......

Err...don't think Blakey was going for a cheap shot...
Pretty poor form to say it's nice to see someone get injured.
Those tackles were great tackles, and I definitely wouldn't think our players were targeting him or his shoulder at all.

He did it running in and trying to jam a late elbow into Setterfield who was marking the ball. No intent to spoil, just a really poorly executed attempt to bump an exposed player.

1599608710606.png

1599608963860.png

Can't have been too bad an injury, he got back out and kept playing.

Last edited:
Hopefully that goal gives Cottrell (aka the Moth - according to Daisy because he loves the spotlight)gives him the confidence to take the next step. Had a chance in the last to take an easier chest mark but spilled it. He seems to be turning over the ball kicking out of defence on his left. Teague talked up his kicking in the presser and the 2s games I was last year backed that up.

Clean that kicking up and he can be a player

Re. Walsh -

He'll rarely be seen as a match-winner by outsiders, because he doesn't manufacture the spectacular nor run around aggressively.
He's just a smooth mover with a huge appetite for the contest, along with an extremely high football IQ.

One other thing he does...or doesn't do....is to express pain. It's as though he's embarrassed to be seen to be hurt.
Saw this in his first pre-season with us and he won me over there and then.

Back