Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Ross Lyon and Yze as assistant please.

Goody practically begging us to sack him by asking us to be more ruthless. Get Lyon in and do what it takes to bring Yze over with a nod to have him as next senior coach. Unless Clarko is gettable, this is what i want.

Oh, and throw the kitchen sink at Balme. Mahoney has to go. Our list has gone backwards and quite frankly he is avoiding a lot of the heat when he deserves otherwise..
I'd add Mark Williams to that list. He'd be a great development coach, which is something we're clearly lacking.

Club should try & frame Goodwin for a crime so he gets arrested & we can terminate his contract.
Some would call his coaching prowess a crime against humanity. Well at least MFC fans.

I'd add Mark Williams to that list. He'd be a great development coach, which is something we're clearly lacking.
On SEN today he said he was so impressed by our list that he actually approached the club to see if he could get a role with the club. Obviously he offered some of his opinions and that was the end of that.

goodwin interview: are you or can you pretend to be a blind, deaf mute?
Yes: welcome aboard!
No: Sorry, unfortunately we have already filled the position.

I'm so over the modern coaches' standard catchphrase after a loss. "It's not acceptable". What a bland, unmotivating description. Goodwin has wheeled that one out for almost every loss, and if I hear him say "we're working incredibly hard..." one more time, I'm going to throw up. Programmatic people like that don't make good coaches - they lack spark, creativity and plain old cleverness. There's no evidence of working particularly hard on anything specific - certainly not incredibly hard. Nothing's changing. He is more hoping it will turn around than doing anything to solve fundamental problems.

I'm so over the modern coaches' standard catchphrase after a loss. "It's not acceptable". What a bland, unmotivating description. Goodwin has wheeled that one out for almost every loss, and if I hear him say "we're working incredibly hard..." one more time, I'm going to throw up. Programmatic people like that don't make good coaches - they lack spark, creativity and plain old cleverness. There's no evidence of working particularly hard on anything specific - certainly not incredibly hard. Nothing's changing. He is more hoping it will turn around than doing anything to solve fundamental problems.
out of curiosity what is he supposed to say in a media conference?

Is it beneficial to say we have a lot of dumb footballers? (which is clearly evident)

Or would it be better that he say we have a lot of players that aren't up to AFL standard?

Serious question.

Guessing who could be the next best untried coach is definitely a huge guessing game. The last 4 premiership teams have been coached by Clarkson disciples. If we went down that road we’d want someone who’d been involved in a successful system as a coach quite recently. Although that was also on Bolton and Neeld’s CVs.
Hardwick was in his eighth season when he won a premiership. I'm not sure how much of his apprenticeship was a factor.

out of curiosity what is he supposed to say in a media conference?

Is it beneficial to say we have a lot of dumb footballers? (which is clearly evident)

Or would it be better that he say we have a lot of players that aren't up to AFL standard?

Serious question.
Just some variety in his words would be a start. He's like a stuck record repeating the same phrases, like identical phrases, for the last 2 seasons. It speaks to a certain lack of imagination and cluelessness. He can't even think of new words let alone a solution to the problem. He's not going to be able to inspire his players or our members with this dull repetitiveness.

Just some variety in his words would be a start. He's like a stuck record repeating the same phrases, like identical phrases, for the last 2 seasons. It speaks to a certain lack of imagination and cluelessness. He can't even think of new words let alone a solution to the problem. He's not going to be able to inspire his players or our members with this dull repetitiveness.
fair points

He should just come out and say what everyone else is thinking.
"Look we've got a good list, but f’ed if I know what I'm doing here. Blame Pert for signing me up lols".
Is it really that good?

Or is it made to look better because of some very good top end talent?

If it is easy to ramble off 17-18 players that should be moved on or de-listed that looks to me like a list that lacks depth

Top Tier - Gawn, Petracca, Oliver & May
Next Tier - Brayshaw, Fritsch, Hibberd, Langdon, Lever, Harmes, Melksham, Weideman, Viney, Tomlinson (And to be fair there are big question marks on a few of them)
Potential - Jackson, Rivers, Jackson, Bennell (if he can fix himself up for next year)

The rest are very meh.

Past It - Jones & Jetta

vandenberg is a bit unlucky, his hardness is the only reason he gets a game because other than that he lacks in almost all areas

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He should just come out and say what everyone else is thinking.
"Look we've got a good list, but f’ed if I know what I'm doing here. Blame Pert for signing me up lols".

If Goody said this id genuinely like the bloke, especially if he include LOLs at the end with grin on his face.

I mean it's the list or the coach isn't it?
yeah I should have said i'm not exonerating Goodwin from the performance of the team at all

But I'm not sold that we are a legit top 4 list. Maybe a 6-10 team which is where we sit

We really need better depth which is weird because we seemed to have a lot of it in 2018

I'd demand he was re-signed for another 4 years if he could guarantee we would get more such lines out of him lke that press conferences

Have just signed up for BigFooty as I can't afford therapy and am headed for divorce if I keep unloading lengthy rants about Melbourne's complete lack of ability, skill, structure, coaching, courage, planning etc. on my wife.
Have been reading the Melbourne forum for a long time and I'm already looking forward to being sprayed by the likes of TopKent for the poor quality of my posts/brainpower.

I have two main points to kick off my posting career with:
1) The main problem with Goodwin, and the reason he needs to go IMO, is that the players both individually and collectively are completely incapable of executing under any more than mediocre pressure. If you've just walked in the door as a first year coach that's an excuse for you. When you've been at the club six years it's an indictment.
Don't get me wrong, I've got plenty of problems with our gameplan but there are plenty of ways to win games of football. But we've all seen what the gameplan is and how Goodwin says it's supposed to work when we play mediocre teams who can't apply pressure. If the team was capable of applying it when a decent opponent puts decent pressure on then we'd win enough games to make finals with the list we've got. Instead even our best players go to water and fumble around like frightened kittens whenever the opposition is capable of stopping Viney/Petracca/Oliver waltzing away from stoppages and the oppo coach is smart enough to chuck extra numbers in defence to mark the incoming shanks.

2) ANB is the worst player I've ever seen play 5+ seasons and keep getting games. Fumbles, won't bodyline the ball, can't tackle, can't kick, can't handball, can't defend. I have an absolute meltdown every time he's selected and am amazed all Dees fans don't feel this way.

Have just signed up for BigFooty as I can't afford therapy and am headed for divorce if I keep unloading lengthy rants about Melbourne's complete lack of ability, skill, structure, coaching, courage, planning etc. on my wife.
Have been reading the Melbourne forum for a long time and I'm already looking forward to being sprayed by the likes of TopKent for the poor quality of my posts/brainpower.

1) The main problem with Goodwin, and the reason he needs to go IMO, is that the players both individually and collectively are completely incapable of executing under any more than mediocre pressure. If you've just walked in the door as a first year coach that's an excuse for you. When you've been at the club six years it's an indictment.
Don't get me wrong, I've got plenty of problems with our gameplan but there are plenty of ways to win games of football. But we've all seen what the gameplan is and how Goodwin says it's supposed to work when we play mediocre teams who can't apply pressure. If the team was capable of applying it when a decent opponent puts decent pressure on then we'd win enough games to make finals with the list we've got. Instead even our best players go to water and fumble around like frightened kittens whenever the opposition is capable of stopping Viney/Petracca/Oliver waltzing away from stoppages and the oppo coach is smart enough to chuck extra numbers in defence to mark the incoming shanks.

2) ANB is the worst player I've ever seen play 5+ seasons and keep getting games. Fumbles, won't bodyline the ball, can't tackle, can't kick, can't handball, can't defend. I have an absolute meltdown every time he's selected and am amazed all Dees fans don't feel this way.

- Mentally unstable
- Rants about how s**t we are
- Sneaky jab at Topkent
- Thinks ANB is garbage

You'll fit in well here :)

Haha, welcome aboard LDN, TK is just a big pussy mate, you'll be right. :cool: :) :cool:

yeah I should have said i'm not exonerating Goodwin from the performance of the team at all
TBH I'm not really sure how good or bad our list is. We got pantsed for a whole season which surely stifled development of players (especially those who we threw in the wrong position like Fritsch). We probably stifled development of players like Weid too simply by not playing them.

Players like Harmes and T'mac went from very good to barely serviceable. Im not sure I can think of too many players in other clubs who have dropped off that much in the prime of their careers. It's unprecedented.

Weekly carousel of Pickett, ANB, Hannan, Spargo, Hunt can't be helping the team or the players.

Our backline is great, our midfield should be great, a forward line of Peak Tmac, Fritsche, Weed and one or two of Hannan, Spargo, Pickett or Bennell (play him if he's fit!) should be at the very least funtional. Jackson would be huge in for us at the moment. Gawn has to be the most wasted ruckman in the competition.

I reckon Ross Lyon could do a lot more than what we're seeing.

Last edited:

I like this guy. Best first post ever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back