Review Good vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

It's amazing how things have turned around for the club over the last month, since the North Melbourne debacle. It's taken a while, but Nicks appears to have healed the wounds and scars left by the previous regime, and now the players look happy and confident again. It's amazing how much of a difference confidence makes.
Didn't you think we were comparable to the worst teams in history 10 days ago? ;)

Nicks out-coached Cameron. Thats the first time since I don't know when since I've actually thought that about an Adelaide coach.
TBH, the argument that Nicks out-coached Clarkson and Scott as well isn't to far fetched.

Scott's Cats have been literally destroying finals teams leading up to us, and we (a winless team) were up to our eyeballs in that game up until the last 8mins.
Clarko, well I don't think he did anything to stop our gameplan. Certainly nothing that stood out.

Didn't you think we were comparable to the worst teams in history 10 days ago? ;)
10 days ago our record was comparable to the worst teams in history, indeed there were times this season when our team's performances truly were at that level. 10 days ago we were 0-13, and looking down the barrel of the first winless season in the last 64 years of VFL/AFL history.

Thankfully, things have turned around remarkably since reaching the nadir in the North Melbourne game. Since then, the players have rediscovered their love of the game, their enthusiasm, and their confidence. We've hit the bottom, and now the rebound has begun. It's going to be a long and slow process, but we can now see the light at the end of the tunnel - and it's no longer the headlight of an oncoming train.

We're still a poor team, and we would still finish in the bottom half of the ladder if we played a full season as we're playing now, but we're no longer a 0-17 "equal worst of the last 60 years" bad team.

Good:

Intent and pressure especially around the midfield. Complete turn around from earlier in the year.

Midfield is clicking. That is, not handballing to stationary players in the wrong position much (still a bit) and there is a balance between players staying inside the contest and players staying outside for the release. Positioning has improved.

Laird is one of a few who has completely shocked me this year. He was an absolute machine in the midfield last night. Does it all as an inside midfielder. Starting to re think my idea of trading him unless it comes with a hefty return. Getting better and better in that role.

McAdam continues to surprise. It's now getting hard to see where his ceiling is as a player, such is his improvement and confidence rise. His biggest attribute is his hard running. Makes so many contests and pressures defenders.

Himm showed even more improvement. Confidence growing, which seems to lift every aspect of his game.

Keays was very good again. Starting to back himself in with the ball more and take players on. Still needs to work on his disposal, but it has improved.

Stengle surely has proven his detractors wrong by now. Clearly has the talent and is backing it up every week.

ROB again very good.

McPherson solid.

Sholl showing glimpses. Looks calm under pressure and that left foot is ridiculous.

The biggest GOOD is the complete surprise development of players who were looking like depth players at the start of the year. Also the reinvention of laird.

Average :

Fog was poor I thought. Laid some good tackles but he wasn't clean, which is normally his strong point. Still not fit enough either.

Jones keeps frustrating. Some good moments followed up with some panic moments. Playing less in the midfield now by the looks. Lays a good tackle though.

10 days ago our record was comparable to the worst teams in history, indeed there were times this season when our team's performances truly were at that level. 10 days ago we were 0-13, and looking down the barrel of the first winless season in the last 64 years of VFL/AFL history.

Thankfully, things have turned around remarkably since reaching the nadir in the North Melbourne game. Since then, the players have rediscovered their love of the game, their enthusiasm, and their confidence. We've hit the bottom, and now the rebound has begun. It's going to be a long and slow process, but we can now see the light at the end of the tunnel - and it's no longer the headlight of an oncoming train.

We're still a poor team, and we would still finish in the bottom half of the ladder if we played a full season as we're playing now, but we're no longer a 0-17 "equal worst of the last 60 years" bad team.
I think we hit rock bottom right after the ISO break (Port into GCS). Its just been a infinitely slower process to get ourselves off the deck due to the training restrictions.

But lets not go down this path again. We both know where we stand on this topic

Really impressed with Stengle, I wasn’t particularly sold on him when he first came over but he’s a really good little player. Love him up the ground more, rather than being stuck in the F50, seems clean with the ball, a good decision maker and importantly really composed in traffic as opposed to some of our more well known panic merchants.

Turned it around, since we made sure we had a loss and percentage buffer on Norf.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I think we hit rock bottom right after the ISO break (Port into GCS). Its just been a infinitely slower process to get ourselves off the deck due to the training restrictions.

But lets not go down this path again. We both know where we stand on this topic
Agreed. We were that bad at times this year. We're nowhere near that bad now, and the trend is upwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really impressed with Stengle, I wasn’t particularly sold on him when he first came over but he’s a really good little player. Love him up the ground more, rather than being stuck in the F50, seems clean with the ball, a good decision maker and importantly really composed in traffic as opposed to some of our more well known panic merchants.
I totally agree. I'd take it 1 step further. I feel like with more fitness he could end up playing a substantially higher vision and better skilled version of the Tom Lynch role.

I doubt he ever does the gut busting leads Tom did, but if you asked me who I wanted putting the ball into F50 right now, its Stengle!

Lots of people seem to be ignoring that we have only managed to win when the other team is coming off a 4 day break. In a normal year, a team having 1 or 2 day less break will heavily sway the odds against them. We've clearly improved but we're still bad

Me at the time of Mitch McGovern trade: No I don't want some steak knives SANFL scrub thrown in, I want a higher 1st rounder.

Me at the start of the season: I still don't get the appeal of Shane McAdam, I hear he's got all these tricks, but is he ever going to show them?

Me in the mirror last night:

Me at the time of Mitch McGovern trade: No I don't want some steak knives SANFL scrub thrown in, I want a higher 1st rounder.

Me at the start of the season: I still don't get the appeal of Shane McAdam, I hear he's got all these tricks, but is he ever going to show them?

Me too, tasting home cooked humble pie but loving it

Good:

Intent and pressure especially around the midfield. Complete turn around from earlier in the year.

Midfield is clicking. That is, not handballing to stationary players in the wrong position much (still a bit) and there is a balance between players staying inside the contest and players staying outside for the release. Positioning has improved.

Laird is one of a few who has completely shocked me this year. He was an absolute machine in the midfield last night. Does it all as an inside midfielder. Starting to re think my idea of trading him unless it comes with a hefty return. Getting better and better in that role.

McAdam continues to surprise. It's now getting hard to see where his ceiling is as a player, such is his improvement and confidence rise. His biggest attribute is his hard running. Makes so many contests and pressures defenders.

Himm showed even more improvement. Confidence growing, which seems to lift every aspect of his game.

Keays was very good again. Starting to back himself in with the ball more and take players on. Still needs to work on his disposal, but it has improved.

Stengle surely has proven his detractors wrong by now. Clearly has the talent and is backing it up every week.

ROB again very good.

McPherson solid.

Sholl showing glimpses. Looks calm under pressure and that left foot is ridiculous.

The biggest GOOD is the complete surprise development of players who were looking like depth players at the start of the year. Also the reinvention of laird.

Average :

Fog was poor I thought. Laid some good tackles but he wasn't clean, which is normally his strong point. Still not fit enough either.

Jones keeps frustrating. Some good moments followed up with some panic moments. Playing less in the midfield now by the looks. Lays a good tackle though.
Is Lauchie a left footer or right footer. He was kicking right foot a bit but his left foot is just as good?

Lots of people seem to be ignoring that we have only managed to win when the other team is coming off a 4 day break. In a normal year, a team having 1 or 2 day less break will heavily sway the odds against them. We've clearly improved but we're still bad
Thanks Sherlock, I don't think anyone picked up that we are in a condensed schedule or anything.

Also, encase anyone doesn't know, the quarters are shorter too

Myself as well. I was also writing off Stengle, Keays as well. I am also glad Hartigan has played a few very good games of late.

Next week's game against Carlton will be telling. Both teams played last night, so rest/fatigue shouldn't be a factor. The game is at Carrara, so Adelaide has the "travel same day as the game" rigmarole, which GWS had to deal with yesterday. This game will provide us with a reasonable indicator of just how far we've come, and how far we still have to go.

I love that we are a chance in the air

Yes, it is remarkable.

And what is that all about? A winless club with just about every senior player doing a Gibbs impression, barely capable of winning a quarter, let alone a game wins two in a row. I know the breaks may have helped. I know Hawthorn have problems. GWS are always flakey on the road.

It troubles me somewhat. Wild inconsistency almost always equals off field issues. I don't like the fact that our senior players can let us go 0-13, then turn it on to jag some wins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back