Play Nice Which club has the biggest supporter base? Collingwood, Richmond or West Coast?

Which club has the biggest supporter base?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I would have thought it self-evident that West Coast has the biggest supporter base. How could a single Melbourne-based team compete with one of two teams in a pretty big (and footy mad) market?

It is amazing those arguing against this don't see it. Richmond supporters seem particularly deluded on this fact.

You are forgetting that Richmond members are locked away in prison in Melbourne , They have not been able to attend a single game.

Didn't the Eagles have 9 games with crowds played at Optus stadium...and you are what , 300 odd members ahead....Alot of Vic clubs membership sales happen at the ground or as the season is starting... The Richmond marketing department never got those opportunities outside the game urging people to sign up ..and given it was off the back of a premiership season.. what club's member base has ever decreased after a flag?? None.. except this season because people can't attend games so it's not unreasonable to think someone people were not going to spend the money..

Oh and there is another little thing where we compete with 10 other teams in our state.

No one is more delusional than Eagles supporters...

Even the Pies would have smashed you had they been able to attend games but Richmond and Collingwood's supporter base is majority blue collar workers on minimum wages... A luxury like a footballer membership is something most families can't afford when they are not sure they even have a job etc

Richmond and Collingwood are the biggest teams.

West coast is an AFL franchise is a state competing against one other club.

It's not even a comparison given the difference in circumstances.
Look, i know we love to boost our teams and all, but distorting facts is not fair. You played your first five? games at the "G" did you not? Plenty of time for supporters to buy memberships. And a reminder that WC were the first Hub team after ONE game at home. Yet here we are as the leading membership club.

You are forgetting that Richmond members are locked away in prison in Melbourne , They have not been able to attend a single game.

Didn't the Eagles have 9 games with crowds played at Optus stadium...and you are what , 300 odd members ahead....Alot of Vic clubs membership sales happen at the ground or as the season is starting... The Richmond marketing department never got those opportunities outside the game urging people to sign up ..and given it was off the back of a premiership season.. what club's member base has ever decreased after a flag?? None.. except this season because people can't attend games so it's not unreasonable to think someone people were not going to spend the money..

Oh and there is another little thing where we compete with 10 other teams in our state.

Even the Pies would have smashed you had they been able to attend games but Richmond and Collingwood's supporter base is majority blue collar workers on minimum wages... A luxury like a footballer membership is something most families can't afford when they are not sure they even have a job etc

have a bigger ignorant cry

is that you Jack ?

What a delicious melt.

What you fail to realise is the Victorian wave will impact on Victorian economy and job market at a much greater level than in any other part of the country.

This will have impacts on Victorian clubs membership numbers next year and the year after.

Victorian clubs are lucky that 70% of members had signed up before COVID had hit. Otherwise 2020 numbers would have been far lower, and it is reasonable expectation that they will be lower next year.

Last edited:
This just proves my point I made earlier that West Coast would definitely have a bigger supporter base than Collingwood. Richmond is doing well at the moment but it's on the back of two flags. Who knows if the changes in Richmond are permanent and as I said before, I think it's possible for Collingwood to be overtaken as the biggest Victorian club, especially as new fans wouldn't necessarily be going to Collingwood above the other nine in the state. But where are the new Western Australian fans going to? Fremantle is now at the bottom of the ladder and West Coast are successful at the moment.

Richmond supporters are not all on minimum wage. All clubs have people who people whose wage levels go from the low levels to the massively high levels. All clubs have working class supporters and supporters wh are filthy rich. Every club is the same. Its just the numbers within each category thats different. Richmond use to be a working class area. When a I grew up there you could buy a house for 30k and that was in the 80s. Now you try and buy a cottage in richmond and the real estate agents quote $1.2 million on something. So richmond isnt struggletown anymore.

18k drop in Essendon’s figures would have to be concerning - probably the biggest single year drop recorded?

Obviously COVID-19 has an impact but most of the bigger clubs have remained relatively stable.

I’ve already signed up for next year because I’m a sucker for punishment but I’d suspect there’s a few rightly disillusioned Essendon fans that have had enough and won’t renew.

I would have thought it self-evident that West Coast has the biggest supporter base. How could a single Melbourne-based team compete with one of two teams in a pretty big (and footy mad) market?

Most Victorians are biased, they see that Victoria has a bigger population and just do the math that "bigger state = bigger clubs". I don't think Victorians realise how popular West Coast is in Western Australia. WA has, what, 2.6 million? Victoria has 6.6 million. But it's ten clubs versus two. Roughly 600,000 Western Australians don't live in Perth, and I reckon most of them would be eagles fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disregarding that, they still don’t come close, finished 5th in 95 and 4th in 96, didn’t make the prelim in either year. Although they got screwed in 96 by having to play a home final against Essendon at the MCG. Even 97 finished 5th and lost both finals. The list they had should have been minimum prelims in those years.

Even 93 when the Eagles arguably should have been at their peak as they won flags either side of it, they mysteriously just sneak into the finals on percentage and get mauled by the baby bombers.

Maybe they had injuries or something that derailed them but as time goes on you start wondering if Malthouse really got the absolute most out of what he had.
If God (Ablett) did not put Geelong into the 94 GF I think North would of pushed the Eagles.

That's quite an embarrassing post.

WCE probably have a waiting list for memberships almost as big again.

In 1908 supporters of the founding clubs were probably calling Richmond a plastic francise. Not even a foundation club of the league, oh dear.

It is the established ideology in Perth and in the Perth media that WCE has had a successful history so far. This has been the dominant ideology since 1992. Obviously I expect opposition when I challenge the prevailing ideology. i don't say it is a poor history - obviously it is a million miles ahead of Fremantle, Carlton, Collingwood etc in the past 20-25 years. But it's not up at the level of Port Adelaide Magpies (SANFL) or East Fremantle (WAFL). yes, I know about the draft and salary cap but flags are still the measure if success.

You're doing way too much by trying to downplay the consistent success of West Coast.

West Coast aren't the Harlem Globetrotters, or the Patriots. Hell they aren't even the Perth Wildcats.

But, West Coast are a very strong, successful and well run club.

In the national era, the AFL has made a concerted effort towards equalisation. In that time, West Coast has made finals more than any other team, and has tremendous record for consistent success.

18k drop in Essendon’s figures would have to be concerning - probably the biggest single year drop recorded?

Obviously COVID-19 has an impact but most of the bigger clubs have remained relatively stable.

I’ve already signed up for next year because I’m a sucker for punishment but I’d suspect there’s a few rightly disillusioned Essendon fans that have had enough and won’t renew.
Essendon were tracking well in March at +4.3% Vs same date year ago and on track for ~87,000 when COVID hit. Essendon probably sells more memberships than any club fromMarch to August. The Eagles, Richmond an to a degree Hawthorn and Collingwood also have larger auto renewals which in this crazy year gave these clubs an additional tail wind against the COVID halt. Carlton ran a major discounting program that generated strong early take up which was certainly capitalised on given what eventuates. They insulated themselves in the end with the early member promotion. It’s just the way it goes.

Essendon’s challenge will be to convince the 85,000 that joined in 2019 to join in 2021 in light of its miserable on field performance and apparent widening disconnect between the club view on its status Vs its fanbase.

Richmond supporters are not all on minimum wage. All clubs have people who people whose wage levels go from the low levels to the massively high levels. All clubs have working class supporters and supporters wh are filthy rich. Every club is the same. Its just the numbers within each category thats different. Richmond use to be a working class area. When a I grew up there you could buy a house for 30k and that was in the 80s. Now you try and buy a cottage in richmond and the real estate agents quote $1.2 million on something. So richmond isnt struggletown anymore.
I see that you're one of the smart ones

Lol, feel the burn!

I like how you try and attribute the numbers to the ability to attend games. You do realise that most of our members do not have seated memberships right? Our stadium does not hold 100k people, so most of the WCE members are not attending games either.

They signed on anyway. Well done West Coast.

Richmond would have 400k die hard supporters in Victoria alone ...easy.

They are all over Australia too.

West Coast have thousands of passive fans here in WA along with their hardcore 80-90k membership group

They just follow them for the sake of it and don’t get too fussed if they lose but will buy a jumper and have a JK poster framed on their wall.

Richmond, Pies, Essendon and Carlton ...nationwide ..are the powerhouse clubs with a big fan base.

The rest follow ..
Nah...maybe change essendons name to the bandwagoners, small club, small supporter base, no surprise really.
On the other side, Essendon recorded 84,237 members in 2019 and have fallen to 66,686

Back