Toast Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - Welcome to the club

Remove this Banner Ad

Cal Twomey has him at 1 in his updated 25 today. Thrilthorpe at 4.

Not sure what he is basing updates on...
I believe he often bases his updates on word of mouth from recruiting staff around the AFL, plus re-watching old tapes. He has a number of good sources, and you'll often find his draft rankings and phantom drafts are moving around even after the U18 season ends. The closer we get to the end of the year, the more accurate it gets. There's no journalist better at this than Twomey

I believe he often bases his updates on word of mouth from recruiting staff around the AFL, plus re-watching old tapes. He has a number of good sources, and you'll often find his draft rankings and phantom drafts are moving around even after the U18 season ends. The closer we get to the end of the year, the more accurate it gets. There's no journalist better at this than Twomey
Genuine question - what football has been played since the beginning of the year? Would the recruiters themselves not be guessing at this point, given these kids can't even train together let alone play actual games?

Genuine question - what football has been played since the beginning of the year? Would the recruiters themselves not be guessing at this point, given these kids can't even train together let alone play actual games?

Logan McDonald has been playing very well in the WAFL. Pretty sure he's leading the goalkicking.

Mostly it would be guesswork but some prospects have played a couple of games. Shame the vic boys we can't confirm anything really.

Logan McDonald has been playing very well in the WAFL. Pretty sure he's leading the goalkicking.

Mostly it would be guesswork but some prospects have played a couple of games. Shame the vic boys we can't confirm anything really.
I don't envy the job of a recruiter at all this year, basing their selections on such little data - this year more than ever there is bound to be some early flops and late steals.

Nothing in Victoria really, which is why a number of Victorian prospects are starting to drop in people's rankings. WA and SA kids are getting the most exposure as their comps are still running

Will Phillips at 9 in Twomey's rankings. Coming into this year he seemed to be viewed in pick 1 contention.
Yeah that's the main one that does surprise me. Not sure how Bruhn, and Henry especially, could have been ranked above Phillips given none of them are playing anything significant

I don't envy the job of a recruiter at all this year, basing their selections on such little data - this year more than ever there is bound to be some early flops and late steals.

Our recruiters probably have the easiest job out of anyone. Simply take the 2 NGA kids we were going to take anyway. The only difference being how many points we would have to give up.

True, noting we tend to draft bolters in the open draft.
Recruiters tend to watch the kids for a few years though so there are the underage years to consider.

Certainty is a HUGE blessing this year.

Let's say JUH and the other NGA have an 80% chance of becoming good players and JUH is a definite Top 10 selection. The other top 10 picks are probably a half baked guess. With limited playing 'evidence' it is the worst year to be in the bottom 8. Not to mention 1 year less development...

Top 8 sides may unearth some gems but there is more luck involved than usual.

Our recruiters probably have the easiest job out of anyone. Simply take the 2 NGA kids we were going to take anyway. The only difference being how many points we would have to give up.
Depending how we play it, we may delist a few extra players to help with points/spots for JUH, McPh and Raak (due to the loophole of banking more points spots than spots left on list), meaning we will have some really late picks we will need to use if that is the path we take.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depending how we play it, we may delist a few extra players to help with points/spots for JUH, McPh and Raak (due to the loophole of banking more points spots than spots left on list), meaning we will have some really late picks we will need to use if that is the path we take.
I thought that loophole was closed now

Would we need to use them? Would it be better to leave the draft with an open list spot, trial a few people over the summer, and take someone in the pre-season draft?

I thought that loophole was closed now
It is how they closed the loophole, meaning you can only take four picks to the draft if you have four spots open on list. So if we want to use multiple picks to match JUH bid, then it is something we may need to consider.
Would we need to use them? Would it be better to leave the draft with an open list spot, trial a few people over the summer, and take someone in the pre-season draft?
Probably gives us some flexibility, depends if they have their eye on someone who falls down the draft order. If list sizes remain the same, we could always potentially run one less on main list and an extra rookie to give us some extra salary cap space to bank for the following year. Few options for sure.

It is how they closed the loophole, meaning you can only take four picks to the draft if you have four spots open on list. So if we want to use multiple picks to match JUH bid, then it is something we may need to consider.

Probably gives us some flexibility, depends if they have their eye on someone who falls down the draft order. If list sizes remain the same, we could always potentially run one less on main list and an extra rookie to give us some extra salary cap space to bank for the following year. Few options for sure.
Can always commit to redrafting those you delisted at the end of the draft if there is no one left that you wish to draft in order to free up extra spots as a few clubs did last year. I believe Brisbane was one of those. There are always ways around things

Can always commit to redrafting those you delisted at the end of the draft if there is no one left that you wish to draft in order to free up extra spots as a few clubs did last year. I believe Brisbane was one of those. There are always ways around things
Would redrafted players automatically get a 2 year contract like newly drafted players or are there different rules for players who have been delisted?

Would redrafted players automatically get a 2 year contract like newly drafted players or are there different rules for players who have been delisted?
On looking back I was incorrect they actually re rookied. I could've sworn at the time of the draft I read something about them moving the players out to have the extra picks for acadamy players

On looking back I was incorrect they actually re rookied. I could've sworn at the time of the draft I read something about them moving the players out to have the extra picks for acadamy players
I can see the logic in doing that. Especially this year when less late picks will be used. Teams will probably be happy to throw in third and fourth rounders to upgrade second round picks a few spots.
We also have plenty of players like Hayes and Cavarra who could be delisted and redrafted without other clubs poaching them.
I'm pretty sure there are different rules for previously listed players in the draft so that they can get better salaries.

Vic Metro’s top 12 prospects in 2020 AFL national draft
Recruiters believe there is a ‘clear standout’ as the No.1 pick in this year’s AFL national draft, but there is plenty more local talent to choose from for Victorian clubs despite the challenges of COVID-19. SEE THE FULL LIST.
Chris Cavanagh, Herald Sun

Subscriber only
|
September 9, 2020 11:18am

similars

He’s the “clear standout” that recruiters believe would have been discussed as a No.1 pick in any AFL national draft in recent years.
Jamarra Ugle-Hagan has been likened to a young Lance Franklin, as a 196cm athletic forward with freakish talents.
On an open market, many believe Ugle-Hagan would indeed be this year’s No.1 pick.

But the Western Bulldogs Next Generation Academy member looks headed to Whitten Oval as part of a compromised top-end of this year’s draft.
“He’s a boy who can mark the ball at the highest point and is already 196cm. Then he jumps and you think, ‘Wow’,” AFL talent ambassador Kevin Sheehan said.

“We talk about potential but you’d rather have form and he’s actually doing it. He did it in the finals last year as a bottom-ager playing for Oakleigh and kicked goals in big games for the underage boys along with the national championships.”
Like other Victorian players, Ugle-Hagan has been largely unsighted this year due to the NAB League being cancelled amid COVID-19 restrictions.

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is a Vic Metro star.

However, the 18-year-old averaged 10 disposals, 5.2 marks and 2.7 goals across eight games for Oakleigh Chargers last season, leading to the Franklin comparisons.

VIC METRO’S TOP 12 AFL 2020 DRAFT PROSPECTS

JAMARRA UGLE-HAGAN (OAKLEIGH CHARGERS)

Key forward, 196cm, 85kg

The Western Bulldogs have hit the jackpot with first dibs on this talented youngster through their Next Generation Academy. Ugle-Hagan has been likened to Sydney superstar Lance Franklin and recruiters had expected him to dominate games in the NAB League this year after a brilliant bottom-age campaign in 2019.

While the 18-year-old has only been seen in practice matches this season due to COVID-19 restrictions in Victoria, Ugle-Hagan kicked 24 goals across nine NAB League games last season while also ranking elite for forward-50 marks (3.9 a game) and score involvements (six a game). Clubs have been reluctant to bid on Academy players early in the draft in the past. Will Adelaide buck the trend an put in a bid on Ugle-Hagan at Pick 1 this year? Time will tell.

Vic Metro’s top 12 prospects in 2020 AFL national draft
Recruiters believe there is a ‘clear standout’ as the No.1 pick in this year’s AFL national draft, but there is plenty more local talent to choose from for Victorian clubs despite the challenges of COVID-19. SEE THE FULL LIST.
Chris Cavanagh, Herald Sun

Subscriber only
|
September 9, 2020 11:18am

similars

He’s the “clear standout” that recruiters believe would have been discussed as a No.1 pick in any AFL national draft in recent years.
Jamarra Ugle-Hagan has been likened to a young Lance Franklin, as a 196cm athletic forward with freakish talents.
On an open market, many believe Ugle-Hagan would indeed be this year’s No.1 pick.

But the Western Bulldogs Next Generation Academy member looks headed to Whitten Oval as part of a compromised top-end of this year’s draft.
“He’s a boy who can mark the ball at the highest point and is already 196cm. Then he jumps and you think, ‘Wow’,” AFL talent ambassador Kevin Sheehan said.

“We talk about potential but you’d rather have form and he’s actually doing it. He did it in the finals last year as a bottom-ager playing for Oakleigh and kicked goals in big games for the underage boys along with the national championships.”
Like other Victorian players, Ugle-Hagan has been largely unsighted this year due to the NAB League being cancelled amid COVID-19 restrictions.

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is a Vic Metro star.

However, the 18-year-old averaged 10 disposals, 5.2 marks and 2.7 goals across eight games for Oakleigh Chargers last season, leading to the Franklin comparisons.

VIC METRO’S TOP 12 AFL 2020 DRAFT PROSPECTS

JAMARRA UGLE-HAGAN (OAKLEIGH CHARGERS)

Key forward, 196cm, 85kg

The Western Bulldogs have hit the jackpot with first dibs on this talented youngster through their Next Generation Academy. Ugle-Hagan has been likened to Sydney superstar Lance Franklin and recruiters had expected him to dominate games in the NAB League this year after a brilliant bottom-age campaign in 2019.

While the 18-year-old has only been seen in practice matches this season due to COVID-19 restrictions in Victoria, Ugle-Hagan kicked 24 goals across nine NAB League games last season while also ranking elite for forward-50 marks (3.9 a game) and score involvements (six a game). Clubs have been reluctant to bid on Academy players early in the draft in the past. Will Adelaide buck the trend an put in a bid on Ugle-Hagan at Pick 1 this year? Time will tell.
196cm with a leap...you like this!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back