Injury 2020 Injury Updates Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury list
Ryan Burton – quad (2-3 weeks)
Mitch Georgiades – hamstring (test)

Injury list
Ryan Burton – quad (2-3 weeks)
Mitch Georgiades – hamstring (test)
So Burton should be available first week of finals. I reckon he’s too good to leave out but it is a risk.

So Burton should be available first week of finals. I reckon he’s too good to leave out but it is a risk.
Too much of a risk IMO.

No way, the problem with Burton is if he goes down in the first quarter we are left a player short. Burton should be scratched for the remainder of 2020. Let him get his soft tissue problems sorted out over the summer.

The worrying thing is this latest injury is not the same quad Burton originally injured which suggests he has a much bigger problem. Ryan Burton has managed just 22 games in two seasons with us so there appear to be ongoing fitness issues to sort out.

I'd rather play with 21 than play Bonner in a final, so happy to take the risk on Burton if he's fit enough.
At this stage I'm leaning towards Lienert as a safe option. Would have Garner but I feel that's unfortunately very unlikely.

No way, the problem with Burton is if he goes down in the first quarter we are left a player short. Burton should be scratched for the remainder of 2020. Let him get his soft tissue problems sorted out over the summer.

The worrying thing is this latest injury is not the same quad Burton originally injured which suggests he has a much bigger problem. Ryan Burton has managed just 22 games in two seasons with us so there appear to be ongoing fitness issues to sort out.
It is the same quad but in a different spot on the leg. I've done a similar thing except on my old man calf. He reported straight away that it wasn't as bad as the first one which is always a good sign.

There's no way I would be putting a line through him. It's something that will have to be continually assessed. He's a class player.

A lot will depend where we finish the season, who we play in the first week of the finals and obviously how he's rehab'd.

The risk is definitely there but I wouldn't make a decision right now either way.

If we can win the first final and get a week of without playing Burton that would give him plenty of time and then he only needs to string 2 games together.

In a PF/GF I trust him more than any of the other options. Lienert the bloke I trust the most after him.

It is the same quad but in a different spot on the leg. I've done a similar thing except on my old man calf. He reported straight away that it wasn't as bad as the first one which is always a good sign.

There's no way I would be putting a line through him. It's something that will have to be continually assessed. He's a class player.

A lot will depend where we finish the season, who we play in the first week of the finals and obviously how he's rehab'd.

The risk is definitely there but I wouldn't make a decision right now either way.

If we can win the first final and get a week of without playing Burton that would give him plenty of time and then he only needs to string 2 games together.

In a PF/GF I trust him more than any of the other options. Lienert the bloke I trust the most after him.

That is what the PAFC website is saying.

The injury is different from the injury the 23-year-old suffered earlier this year, and is expected to sideline him for the next two games against Essendon and Collingwood.

Make what you will of that. It may be the same quad different type of injury provided of course there is more than one type of quad injury. Then again, as you post it could well be a different spot on the quad, it is a very big muscle .Either way it is a worry and as I see it Burton is high risk.

It is not as if Burton is an integral part of our 2020 backline. He has only played 6 games this year and I reckon he probably finished 4 of those. A fit Burton makes our side for sure but is he fit?

Last edited:
It's actually a worse sign if it's an unrelated injury, just adds to his already large portfolio of soft tissue injuries and makes him seem like a guy whose body just isn't built to play AFL footy.

We've been here before with early stage Hartlett, who apart from an ACL has been pretty resilient in the second half of his career. Given the talent level he'll get many more chances than most to get right.

That is what the PAFC website is saying.

The injury is different from the injury the 23-year-old suffered earlier this year, and is expected to sideline him for the next two games against Essendon and Collingwood.

Make what you will of that. It may be the same quad different type of injury provided of course there is more than one type of quad injury. Then again, as you post it could well be a different spot on the quad, it is a very big muscle .Either way it is a worry and as I see it Burton is high risk.

It is not as if Burton is an integral part of our 2020 backline. He has only played 6 games this year and I reckon he probably finished 4 of those. A fit Burton makes our side for sure but is he fit?
I actually think he is integral for us.

His disposal, decision making and composure in the heat of finals would be invaluable when the whips are cracking.

Imagine a team gets a run on against us. We intercept and short kick to the back pocket.

Do you want the person marking that kick to be Burton or Bonner?

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

I actually think he is integral for us.

His disposal, decision making and composure in the heat of finals would be invaluable when the whips are cracking.

Imagine a team gets a run on against us. We intercept and short kick to the back pocket.

Do you want the person marking that kick to be Burton or Bonner?

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

I will answer your question with a question...

If Burton is fit I agree, but is he fit?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've been here before with early stage Hartlett, who apart from an ACL has been pretty resilient in the second half of his career. Given the talent level he'll get many more chances than most to get right.

People keep comparing Burton to Hartlett but there are just as many stories of guys who were persistently dogged by injuries throughout their entire careers and just never reached their potential as a result. Let's hope Burton gets over his issues.

Hartlett's first 4 years 2009-12, of the possible 88 games, he only played in 46 of them. Think there was a few games missed due to that head clash report with the GC player in these years.

2013-2017 years he played 22/24 + 22/25 + 22/22 + 15/22 + 21/22 = 102 of 115 games.
Arguably Burgo + his team + sufficient medial resources $$$, contributed big time to finding a solution.

He played 5 games in 2018 then did his ACL, then since he played his comeback game in Rd 13 2019 he has played 11 + 15 = 26 consecutive games.

The difference with Burton is that we have good resources and a top fitness team that Hammer didn't have his first 4 years with the club. I think Burton's issues might be harder to crack that with Hammer. Wouldn't be surprised if his broken leg is still contributing to some of his soft tissue leg issues - ie his bio mechanics aren't right.

Hope I'm wrong, but it might be another season before his body finally can handle the rigours of AFL games.

Injury list
Tom Clurey – hamstring (1-2 weeks)
Ryan Burton – quad (1-2 weeks)
Mitch Georgiades – hamstring (1-2 weeks)

Injury list
Tom Clurey – hamstring (1-2 weeks)
Ryan Burton – quad (1-2 weeks)
Mitch Georgiades – hamstring (1-2 weeks)
Clearly the Georgiades hamstring was worse than first reported!

Clearly the Georgiades hamstring was worse than first reported!
Yep I think he was listed as assess for 2 weeks and then pushed out to 2 weeks.

Potentially we could have 4 players coming back from injures and suspensions for the first final. That might makes us a little rusty.

Clurey last plays Rd 17, misses Rd 18 + bye off
Burton last plays Rd Rd 16, misses R17, Rd 18 + bye off
Georgiades last plays Rd 13, ie Saturday 22nd August first final potentially Wednesday September 30th.

Butters last plays Rd 16 v North, misses Rd 17, Rd 18 + bye off

Reckon only 2 of 4 above, Clurey and Butters will play in that first final, if coaches take a conservative approach.

Potentially we could have 4 players coming back from injures and suspensions for the first final. That might makes us a little rusty.

Clurey last plays Rd 17, misses Rd 18 + bye off
Burton last plays Rd Rd 16, misses R17, Rd 18 + bye off
Georgiades last plays Rd 13, ie Saturday 22nd August first final potentially Wednesday September 30th.

Butters last plays Rd 16 v North, misses Rd 17, Rd 18 + bye off

Reckon only 2 of 4 above, Clurey and Butters will play in that first final, if coaches take a conservative approach.

its a good point. You prob loathe to bring 4 back. I dont think MG comes in with two ricks and Marshall there.

I suspect Butters Clurey are 100% in (if Clurey hammy is ok) and if Burton is right, he is a huge upgrade on Bonner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back