Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Meanwhile Darcy just needs to breathe on someone to give away a free. Sometimes it is there but plenty of times I watch the replay over and over again and I can't for the life of me work out what he has done to give away a free.
Neither. He’s not obviously crossing the line. It’s literally 50/50. Darcy never gets rewarded for whenever he’s rag dolled or jumper pulled.

May 11, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Surely we can teach someone else to play that role who can actually contribute with ball in hand. Not since Zac Dawson can I remember a Freo player who actually looks nervous with the ball and usually butchers it.
Then you also get that bullet he gave straight to Frederick against Sydney, he's got the goods unlike the Suban's, Danyle's or Blakely's of the world as they flat out could never deliver kicks that could no matter how hard they try.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
Worst part is I am not even that old. I never saw Gladstone play or if I did I don't remember him. I know him mostly because I was a cricket nerd and also 12th man.
I was just a youngster, but have always been a crazy cricket fan, and I just remember being mesmerised by someone without a neck. 😳

(Mitch is Gladstone super-mini lite!)

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I was just a youngster, but have always been a crazy cricket fan, and I just remember being mesmerised by someone without a neck. 😳

(Mitch is Gladstone super-mini lite!)
"Straight down the throat of Glad.... straight to Gladstone small".

That is on repeat in my head whenever I hear his name.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
I was thinking the same thing. The current backline is in my opinion a long way ahead of last years backing in terms of kicking and moving the ball out.

I wouldnt drop cox even when Pearce or hammer return hes done barely a thing wrong and his outside the foot 25m pass gets us out so easily.

If I had to id put Ryan, Cox, Pearce, Logue, Wilson, Young. Hughes can be off the bench. Conca and Hill step back a bit and let the younger guys come through. Logue can take the smaller defender non key forward role from Conca and the rest to what they've always done. Thats a defence for the next 8-10 years.
Coxs kicking is far better than Hamling or Pearce.

Not sure we have both Hamling and Pearce in the same team with their kicking ability.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
They are but so is Cox
Great sides have good quality depth - in the past few years we have had to plug injury gaps with players who were / are clearly not AFL quality at the time. This is why our injuries have killed us so often, whereas a Richmond for example could have just as many injuries and still be in contention.

This year has been a blessing in many ways in that we have been able to expose some guys who have proven they are more than capable of stepping up when needed. This will hold us in great stead in the next few seasons.

People fear that if a good player is not playing firsts he will leave but that doesn't have to be the case. If they have all bought into the club's plan they will play their roles, even if that means playing some WAFL games or filling gaps where required - e.g. Cox to play tall forward if injuries necessitate.

We are seeing a really good list develop before our eyes, and I think next year we will see the start of a climb to the top.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I find it almost impossible to believe both Hamling and Pearce will come through these botched surgical years to become the same players again. Even if they are 'fit' to get on the park what is the chance that they'll both be unscathed and the same players with the same mobility/leap/speed? Almost zero chance in my book. I think Cox has a career in the best 22 ahead of him for as long as he wants.

Has Pearce, Logue, Cox and Hamling ever all been fit at the same time since all being on our list?
barely. been on the list together since 2016, AP missed all of 2017. Griff missed most of 2018 but managed 3 WAFL games in the middle of the year (Hamling, AP and Cox were all fit for most of 2018 iirc). Likewise 5 weeks last year Griff played WAFL before AP got injured and Hamling and Cox would have been playing. (so about 8 games in 4 seasons were all 4 have been playing at the same time)

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
If Acres was suspended I would have said bring in Valente for him but now I say just go in with no changes, we played fine on Monday night with the team we had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back