Autopsy Rd 16 Blues pull off comeback victory from 7 goals down

Who played well in Round 16 vs the Swans?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
It is funny when you see people having a go at Cripps. saw some people trying to say he didn't have a good game last night. He doesn't need to star, but that doesn't mean he can't play a good game and contribute. He had 17 disposals, 7 tackles, 5 clearances(3 centre), 10 contested touches, 82 percent efficiency and kicked a goal
Not just having a go, even some posing trade options. My word.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
I can't help thinking there is something terribly wrong with our coaching. We had way more talent than the Swans, were 39 points down and our skill execution is terrible. This coupled with Greig Williams " doesn't play like a man" comment in reference to Paddy Dow is damming. I enjoyed the theatre of the comeback win but are we looking at the making of the next Melbourne Football Club
Leigh Matthews believes that the role of the coach is grossly overstatedvand the players are largely responsible persormance. If it is good enough for the greatest of all time, its good enough for me. Zac Jones also said there is minimal difference between the Sydney and St Kilda system as most clubs do pretty much the same thing with ball in hand buy vary their defence, something we are reasonable well attuned to. I've called for a move on from Barker however, would it make a marked difference?

Healer

Club Legend
Apr 16, 2018
Timboon
AFL Club
Carlton
Port are the top team. Sure we had that game in our grasp, and should have done enough to finish it off, but it wasn't an appalling loss like the Melbourne, Hawthorn and Collingwood (and probably Giants) losses were.
Not appalling, but we had them and missed the 4 points and making a real statement

Mar 25, 2010
South Yarra Vic 3141
AFL Club
Carlton
Can’t help but think of the big red 😂😂

Attachments

• A3C66B0F-4235-436E-86FC-5B7B56E188CC.jpeg
    A3C66B0F-4235-436E-86FC-5B7B56E188CC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
  • 262C2735-BCD2-4BA4-9AAE-E4CDB132DD89.jpeg
    262C2735-BCD2-4BA4-9AAE-E4CDB132DD89.jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 36

skadoosh

Premiership Player
May 26, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Just saw the build up to Cotts goal, and I forgot we took it the length of the ground after Blakey kicked it out on the full.
Pretty good to have that much composure for us to take the footy around the boundary line to set up our inside 50.
Simmo from a kick in (OOF) to TDK to Cripps (free kick) to SPS to Plow to Walsh to Casboult to Cottrell.

All kick and marks.

fishncripps

Seafood Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2018
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
FWIW, McLeod didnt move into the midfield until the prelim final of his third year, where he'd spent most of the year on a back flank to pretty mild success not setting the world alight.

Now i'm in no way saying SPS is the next McLeod (one tenth of McLeods ability would suffice for me), but I can see a similar trajectory in that perhaps we are biding our time, and will unleash him when the time is right. Goodness me does the man possess a set of skills below his knees in wet conditions I haven't seen in a long time, he was great last night and I believe he will only get better.

Simmo from a kick in (OOF) to TDK to Cripps (free kick) to SPS to Plow to Walsh to Casboult to Cottrell.

All kick and marks.

Spot on.
Even the composure shown by Cottrell to go back and kick it shows he does have something.

NavySteel

Premiership Player
Jun 15, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
After watching the replay. I'm even more impressed with TDK.

Super agile for a tall man and has footy IQ in spades.

Seems to have extra-spatial awareness and quick firing brain to make correct decisions that we've sorely lacked from our players over the past decade or so.

There was a play in the third (I think) ball was put into space on the 50 arc on the right flank... I loved that he had space but also took time to look 360deg while collecting the ball to figure out an option. Just small things like that.

Too often our players have the blinkers to get the ball, then have no idea what to do with it.

NavySteel

Premiership Player
Jun 15, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Spot on.
Even the composure shown by Cottrell to go back and kick it shows he does have something.
Coach said in post-game presser that he was happy Cottrell had the shot as he was confident in his kicking.

fnm_just a man

Cancelled
Aug 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Just had a look at that final free kick to Taylor. Still have no idea how that got paid. I hope Taylor gets fined for that staging.

No doubt that was a shocking free-kick. Difficult to blame the umpire solely, given Taylor's performance in the moment. However, no question we got the rub of the green over the course of the night.

skadoosh

Premiership Player
May 26, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Coach said in post-game presser that he was happy Cottrell had the shot as he was confident in his kicking.
This is the first time we've had the pleasure of watching his set shot action (his first was that quick pick up and snap off the pack).
Must say, it's a simple, no fuss action. Love it! Had a look of confidence and a steely resolve with is run-up too.

May 1, 2002
AFL Club
Carlton
After watching the replay. I'm even more impressed with TDK.

Super agile for a tall man and has footy IQ in spades.

Seems to have extra-spatial awareness and quick firing brain to make correct decisions that we've sorely lacked from our players over the past decade or so.

There was a play in the third (I think) ball was put into space on the 50 arc on the right flank... I loved that he had space but also took time to look 360deg while collecting the ball to figure out an option. Just small things like that.

Too often our players have the blinkers to get the ball, then have no idea what to do with it.

Yep, last night stamped within my eyes anyway - he will become one of our elite. We have another one to add to our list.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
I know I have been bashing Mclovin relentlessly but until he justifies the price we paid for him I will continue to do so. seems to be the black sheep of the bunch .... the one guy who hasn’t bought in .... probably upset that he has been disciplined in the past for his shall we say .... finger licking good attitude.

needs to find his fire because right now does not deserve to stay on the list let alone what he is on.
Very similar things that used to be said about Daisy when he came across, ill back McGovern in to get the same result that Daisy did, he also had a couple of nice handballs in the last to put us into space.

Thought we might loose him with the injury there for a while which would’ve been a bloody shame considering how great he looked up until then, massive bonus...
That was what I was afraid of... another McInnes situation where we have a young guy step into the first team in his first season and just looked like he belonged there, only to go down with injury, miss a large period of time, and then doesn't come back anywhere near as good as they were. Thankfully Willo came back just as good.

Just saw the build up to Cotts goal, and I forgot we took it the length of the ground after Blakey kicked it out on the full.
Pretty good to have that much composure for us to take the footy around the boundary line to set up our inside 50.
Just hitting that spot right now :D Nice controlled tempo football. Picking the targets with deliberation and then putting the ball into the danger spot!

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
We know ruckmen get a high percentage of contested possession, TDK 10 from 12

What I did like is what he does after the first contest, kid will build nicely

He is our number 1 ruckman
Was just sensational the longer the game went, his last Qtr was fantastic with some of his follow up work and clean pick ups and that clutch mark at half back, his skills are very good as well and not scared to take the dangerous kick inboard.

Just so much upside and you can see the Kreuser blue print all over him must be doing a lot of work with the big 🚜, considering the damage Sinclair did to us last year against Phillips a massive game from the new and improved Twin Turbo Tractor.

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Walsh is just amazing.
Serious question - as it stands right now would you prefer to have Walsh or Smith?

It is so close, it is hard to remove bias and also not want to make it seem like Carlton could have got a better player with a later pick.
I would probably still take Walsh, but would be happy with Smith instead of Walsh as well.
They're both great players. I like Smith's burst of speed and inside ability.
I like Walshs two way running and I think when there are longer quarters he will be even better.

Yep, last night stamped within my eyes anyway - he will become one of our elite. We have another one to add to our list.
If Kreuzer retires at the end of the year, I hope that the club has him enrolled in some coaching courses somewhere to become our dedicated ruck/stoppages coach. I want to see TDK become a bit more like Kreuzer in hunting the ball on the ground after a contest. If he hadn't done his knee, if Warnock wasn't so useless... maybe Kreuzer would have been the ruckman of the decade for the 2010s.

TDK has all the tools to become something special for the club.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Was just sensational the longer the game went, his last Qtr was fantastic with some of his follow up work and clean pick ups and that clutch mark at half back, his skills are very good as well and not scared to take the dangerous kick inboard.

Just so much upside and you can see the Kreuser blue print all over him must be doing a lot of work with the big 🚜, considering the damage Sinclair did to us last year against Phillips a massive game from the new and improved Twin Turbo Tractor.

This kid has xfactor, if he can find consistency, he could be anything

Watched a TAC Dandenong game, kicked 7 goals, against Metro, didn't have many touches, but made me sit up, whether in the ruck or forward. Always loved his competitiveness and has a touch of natural mongrel

Thought SOS went a bit early, but glad we took him

El Topo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 18, 2013
the wilderness
AFL Club
Carlton
Agreed. Seems more capable of taking hits then a few of our bigger more experienced but fragile players.

Blakey is the forgotten man from that draft, his determination and competitiveness is Walsh-like.

don't know if it's been said but i loved seeing nic newman in the race celebrating after the game.

need to keep building off field and having LTI players involved must be a huge thing for mental health and player welfare, even leaving the game day insight out of it.

It's outstanding by the club, and a damn shame that whatever's going on with Stocker has excluded him from what will likely be this team's key galvanising experience.

Back