Footballers of yesteryear

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Being a big fan of older players, I thought this could be a place where we talk about players who no longer play.

Despite his antics against Turkey in 02, I have always been a huge Rivaldo fan. The guy was elite. His hat-trick against Valencia on the last day of the season to send Barca into the Champions League can't be made up when you look at the quality of the goals - and especially the scissor that came at the end of the game.

Great idea for a thread, Cruyffy. Rivaldo was a baller. Had a poster of him in my room as a kid.

That late 90s/early 00s Brazil team was incredible. Too many names to mention - from the sheer magic of Ronaldinho & Kaka to the deadly finishing of R9... simply phenomenal and I was too young to not take them for granted.

Great idea for a thread, Cruyffy. Rivaldo was a baller. Had a poster of him in my room as a kid.

That late 90s/early 00s Brazil team was incredible. Too many names to mention - from the sheer magic of Ronaldinho & Kaka to the deadly finishing of R9... simply phenomenal and I was too young to not take them for granted.
I remember watching the Dinho goal vs Chelsea before school, that was bloody mental.

And that hit against AC in the final minute at the Nou Camp.

TheGreatBarryB you would have been old enough to see Romario.

The guy was one of the most natural goal scorers I've ever seen (on YT). He made it look entirely effortless. Never seen someone chip the keeper so often with relative ease.

Was only a little kid but remember him beasting it at USA94.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TheGreatBarryB you would have been old enough to see Romario.

The guy was one of the most natural goal scorers I've ever seen (on YT). He made it look entirely effortless. Never seen someone chip the keeper so often with relative ease.
He’s around my age I think. I remember from ‘94 WC ...some excellent goals showing his pace and classy finishing. Don’t think he played in other WCups. Didn’t see much of his club career, other than some highlights from Barca.

I remember watching the Dinho goal vs Chelsea before school, that was bloody mental.

And that hit against AC in the final minute at the Nou Camp.
Kaka's goal at Old Trafford is my all-time favourite. Ronny's at the Bridge you mentioned isn't far off.

Kaka's goal at Old Trafford is my all-time favourite. Ronny's at the Bridge you mentioned isn't far off.

It's easily the best goal that I've seen scored against United. Kaka was unstoppable that season.

That was a classic game. Rooney's match winner wasn't bad either and the pass from Scholes to setup his first was beautiful.

It's easily the best goal that I've seen scored against United. Kaka was unstoppable that season.

That was a classic game. Rooney's match winner wasn't bad either and the pass from Scholes to setup his first was beautiful.

Yep, that first leg made for fantastic neutral viewing.

Oh how I long for the days when I’d watch European Football on SBS before school. Life was so much easier back then!

He’s around my age I think. I remember from ‘94 WC ...some excellent goals showing his pace and classy finishing. Don’t think he played in other WCups. Didn’t see much of his club career, other than some highlights from Barca.

I remember him arriving at PSV and leaving for Barca, but had forgotten he was at PSV for 5 seasons. He was 27 by then. Football pre-Bosman eh. Back then, players must have been older on average than now. I remember Italy at the Euros in 88, and commentators kept referring to Italy's young players, like Vialli and Mancini, who were 23. I also grew up with the idea that everyone kept playing at the highest level until they were 35. In 88, Arnold Muhren played in the final being 37 years old. I think he gave the pass for that Van Basten goal.

I've recently seen a documentary where it became clear Romario was known in every bar and club, and was regularly dragged out of bed by captain Eric Gerets, to get him to training.

He was at the world cup in 90 but wasn't fit, and was injured in 98.

Great thread idea Cruyffy. I've always had a bit of a fascination with this topic and will probably end up posting in here a fair bit.

I've been watching old Champions League matches from the 2000's lately and I recently caught a replay of the Deportivo la Coruna vs Milan game. Deportivo had some great players in those days Diego Tristan, Djalmina, Roy Makaay...etc. The one who stands out as being worthy of discussion here though is Juan Carlos Valeron. This guy was one of the most elegant play makers of the modern era but you rarely hear his name mentioned by fans these days. I just had a quick look on youtube and there's not even much in the way of a decent highlights package out there but this guy was so good to watch on his day.

Great thread idea Cruyffy. I've always had a bit of a fascination with this topic and will probably end up posting in here a fair bit.

I've been watching old Champions League matches from the 2000's lately and I recently caught a replay of the Deportivo la Coruna vs Milan game. Deportivo had some great players in those days Diego Tristan, Djalmina, Roy Makaay...etc. The one who stands out as being worthy of discussion here though is Juan Carlos Valeron. This guy was one of the most elegant play makers of the modern era but you rarely hear his name mentioned by fans these days. I just had a quick look on youtube and there's not even much in the way of a decent highlights package out there but this guy was so good to watch on his day.
I rmember that game, Milan 3-0 up after the first leg then lost 4-0!

I remember the first ever Champions League. There were 2 groups of 4 teams, who had qualified through knockout rounds. CSKA Moscow eliminated Barcelona, Rangers knocked out Leeds...

The first ever CL game was in my hometown Brugge. After school, we rode our bikes home and passed the stadium, where CSKA's players were training on one of the outside grounds. We stayed and acted as ball boys throughout their training session. At night, Club Brugge beat them 1-0 with a goal by Amokachi.

The winners of both groups, Marseille and AC Milan, went straight to the final. No semis or anything like that. Rangers finished only 1 point behind Marseille and in Milan's group, Goteborg finished 2nd. Pre-Bosman, all these teams had no more than 3 foreign players.

The 90ies were a fascinating era. It connects the ancient times of the 80ies with modern football that really took off in the early 00ies. So much happened during that era... The CL, the Bosman ruling, the EPL starting to attract famous players... The goalie could even receive the ball from a teammate and pick up the ball with his hands at the beginning of the 90ies. They were a real mix of old and new football.

I remember him arriving at PSV and leaving for Barca, but had forgotten he was at PSV for 5 seasons. He was 27 by then. Football pre-Bosman eh. Back then, players must have been older on average than now. I remember Italy at the Euros in 88, and commentators kept referring to Italy's young players, like Vialli and Mancini, who were 23. I also grew up with the idea that everyone kept playing at the highest level until they were 35. In 88, Arnold Muhren played in the final being 37 years old. I think he gave the pass for that Van Basten goal.

I've recently seen a documentary where it became clear Romario was known in every bar and club, and was regularly dragged out of bed by captain Eric Gerets, to get him to training.

He was at the world cup in 90 but wasn't fit, and was injured in 98.

Brazillians do love to party.

I was 16 in ‘82 and the WC that year had a huge impact, mainly because Italy won but also from brilliant Brazilian team. Zico, Falcao, Éder and led by Socrates who was himself a fascinating guy with a medical degree. Most had played domestically up to that time but many were calling them on of their great teams. Watch the highlights of their goals..some great stuff.

And of course the epic Italy - Brazil where Paolo Rossi scored a match winning hat trick. Set up that year was different and there were 3 team second round groups where the biggest group of death ever with Italy, Brazil and Argentina. Great tournament.

I was 16 in ‘82 and the WC that year had a huge impact, mainly because Italy won but also from brilliant Brazilian team. Zico, Falcao, Éder and led by Socrates who was himself a fascinating guy with a medical degree. Most had played domestically up to that time but many were calling them on of their great teams. Watch the highlights of their goals..some great stuff.

And of course the epic Italy - Brazil where Paolo Rossi scored a match winning hat trick. Set up that year was different and there were 3 team second round groups where the biggest group of death ever with Italy, Brazil and Argentina. Great tournament.
Where do you rate that 82 Brazil team - even though they didn't win the Cup?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back