The best young ruckman???

Remove this Banner Ad

If I'm looking at the entire package (ruck craft, physicality, mobility, contested marking) I'm going with Ladhams for now. I hope Draper can get there soon.

I think Tim English's ceiling is Dean Cox and Mitch Clark circa 2009. Mobile talls who aren't a liability with ball in hand, who then develop the strength to compete against the bull rucks over the years.

No way English has or will learn to have Cox tapping qualities or abilities.

English just isn't hat kind of ruck.

No way English has or will learn to have Cox tapping qualities or abilities.

English just isn't hat kind of ruck.
Dean Cox is arguably the best ruckman of all time, that is a big call

I think they compare quite closely at the same age, English needs to build a lot of strength - I believe Dean played at +15kg on English currently and that will take time.

It's his timing that gets me.

When he went in against NicNat he just put that extra half a second on his jumps and it really took away from what the Eagles could do in the centre.

He does the same as a forward and looks very hard to defend against.

TDKoning is a balancing act in progress. The open question at this point is how much extra bulk he needs. His ruck craft is coming along nicely, but he's got a lot to learn about self protection, some of which might need to be made up for with extra beef. And how much the extra beef will erode his other qualities.

Kid did well against NicNat - who is a big unit but not all that physically dangerous. There's a reason we didn't put TDK on the same ground as Mumford......

Not to join the chorus of just picking my own teams player (but I will) I am surprised that Sean Darcy doesn't crack more of a mention.

If you're talking 22 and under then English is already 23 but it depends where you want to draw the line.

TDK looks good but its way too early to say he's the best young ruck after 7 games with averages of 7.5 disposals and just over 8 hit outs.
Ladhams looks great for his age so certainly not discounting him either.

If we are talking actual ruck work as being a factor then I reckon Darcy should be considered because he is actually producing as a starting 22 ruckman right now.

Last edited:
Very hard to judge young rucks, sometimes they look great early and turn out useless, sometimes the reverse, everything in between.

English on his trajectory, not the finished article but adds a lot of value.

Darcy is a potential monster but given his size will take a long time.

Haven't seen heaps of Ladhams.

Marshall very promising but has taken a bit of a backseat while they get what they can out of Ryder - which is very good atm.

TDK looks impressive at an early age, so does Jackson from Melbourne. Both very agile.

Draper has some promise but hard to tell as he plays for Essendon and their other options are awful.

Esava from Geelong could develop into a very useful relief ruck in time.

Wildcard is what damage the Kings can do in the ruck when they get a lot bigger.

Still think Darcy needs another preseason or two to build his fitness and strength (same as all the young rucks).

Personally I see him getting to peak Mumford levels, good but not great. If the last few premiers are anything to go by that's more than enough.

On English he is not a No1 ruck and I don't think he ever will be. It would be a waste. Someone said it before, he should be the ruck/fwd/utility. Save him for around the ground working his advantages.

Who is currently the best young ruckman going around.

the contenders:

Sam Draper
Tom Dekoning
Sean Darcy
Tim English
Ivan Soldo
Darcy Cameron
Peter Ladhams

I’d go with the following 1-3
1. English - clearly number 1
2. Darcy - exposes form but losing ground rapidly
3. ladhams - great year before his covid issues.

TDK imo will go past a few in 2021 if given the opportunity. Has a lot of attributes that puts him in the conversation already.

I've loved Ladhams this year. He still has a long way to go, in improving his tap work but his impact around the ground has lifted his team. That's an impressive contribution, by a kid, to lift the morale of the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 to watch are Ladhams, Draper and TDK for me.
I've been watching Darcy for a few years (have him in a keeper league). He looks like he'll be physical enough to play a decent enough career, but i don't think he'll offer the same around the grounds as the other 3.

3 to watch are Ladhams, Draper and TDK for me.
I've been watching Darcy for a few years (have him in a keeper league). He looks like he'll be physical enough to play a decent enough career, but i don't think he'll offer the same around the grounds as the other 3.
Yep, Darcy is never going to be as damaging with the ball, just damaging to opposition midfielders who get close to him.

Always had the raw potential though. His height meant if he put it together he would become elite. And he did.
I don't see that potential in the names listed here.
If English could learn to ruck I would say him, but I can't see that happening.

You also mentioned ROB? He's only is 202 cm and had his debut 12 days before his 21st birthday and only played 2 games in 3 years before becoming a regular at age 24.

Witts is another that took time to come on.

I think we sometimes forget that rucks usually do take a bit more time.

English does look a fantastic talent, but he seems like a better Westhoff in that floating CHF/wing/CHB/ruck role than a pure ruck.

I'm thinking Ladhams is the gun. That draft seems to have a lot of quality rucks (English, Ladhams, Darcy, Draper, Marshall, McInerney [though they were mature aged]).

De Koning seems promising too.

English does look a fantastic talent, but he seems like a better Westhoff in that floating CHF/wing/CHB/ruck role than a pure ruck.

I'm thinking Ladhams is the gun. That draft seems to have a lot of quality rucks (English, Ladhams, Darcy, Draper, Marshall, McInerney [though they were mature aged]).

De Koning seems promising too.
Pittonet seems like he'll be that consistent top 10 but never top 4/5 ruck too

Marc Pittonet 3/6/96 has done the bulk of the work for Carlton this year.
Tom De Koning 16/7/99 probably should be considered a ruck/forward on volumes at this stage.

Darcy Cameron 18/7/95 while still young does not seem to meet the loose age requirements.
Reilly O'Brien 20/8/95 and Rowan Marshall 24/11/95 both agree.
You’re right. I didn’t fact check Cameron’s age. I was looking at under 25s really. I thought Cameron was young. But if we kept the criteria to sub 50 games solo rucking that could keep him in. But then the title change to inexperienced ruckman.

When talking pure ruck craft (tap work), dont think anyone comes close to Draper.
TDK is very handy with the taps. But hasn’t got the English level ability around the ground.
Side note - Pittonet is only 24 so could have included him over Cameron

English looks great. Has looked absolutely out on his feet a few times this year but keeps pushing. Another preseason will help.
Has taken some great clutch marks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back