Player Watch #13 Oliver Florent

b3ebc66265ef6bd495af79a6160b9352

Oliver Florent
Young speedster Oliver Florent has become a crucial element of coach John Longmire’s team since the Sydney Swans secured him with their first selection at the 2016 AFL Draft. The Victorian has shown glimpses of exhilarating footy on a wing, most memorably when he jagged a runaway goal in Round 4, 2018 to seal a gripping victory for the Swans over the Bulldogs. But Florent, who’s also spent time on the inside of the contest, is determined to continue to grow his game as a hybrid midfielder in 2020.

Oliver Florent
DOB: 22 July 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #11, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Grammar (Vic)/Sandringham U18

Well we're in trouble if we start dumping blokes like him.
Any else think that Clarke was terrific & instrumental in getting us back in the game.
Watching the replay suggested he had great impact.

average, handballs because he cant kick and mostly little dinky stuff

by his low standards was ok, but would delist end of year

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I have waited until he had another good game (seems to only have about 3-4 a year atm), I'm still the most excited about Florent.
Even more than Rowbottom, yes I am mad. Rowbottom is more of a known atm, we know he'll be amazing, less sure about Florent.

The way he steps out of traffic and moves through congestion, he could be our best player in 4-5 years. He could also be out of the team or be a fringe player. I'm very bullish about him, and I hope he can start playing out an entire season. Favourite non academy youth.

I have waited until he had another good game (seems to only have about 3-4 a year atm), I'm still the most excited about Florent.
Even more than Rowbottom, yes I am mad. Rowbottom is more of a known atm, we know he'll be amazing, less sure about Florent.

The way he steps out of traffic and moves through congestion, he could be our best player in 4-5 years. He could also be out of the team or be a fringe player. I'm very bullish about him, and I hope he can start playing out an entire season. Favourite non academy youth.

florents best parts are flashy so i think it adds to the excitement

had his confidence back last night

Oct 17, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I have realistic expectations of him. I don't think we need Florent to be a complete all star midfielder. I don't think he is going to have a precise kicking game or be super consistent. Or be able to impact the whole game as an inside midfielder.

But he can do stuff that our other midfielders can't. He can do the unpredictable, pick up a loose ball and run through the opposition midfield.

We have eight players in the midfield huddle. We don't need him to be good at everything. We just have to utilise his strengths. I feel longer term he will rotate onto the wing and half forward, then come into inside mid for short bursts to impact the game. I don't think he is suited to being a workhorse inside for the whole game.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney

For sure, that's part of being a flashy player, will he be able to do it consistently.
If yes, then he'll be amazing, if no, then he'll be fringe at best.

The disparity between his best and his worst is just so huge and so frustrating but **** me when he's on he is really on. He's a key to our future because he's so suited to what we're trying to do with our style of footy, which is all about quick and direct ball movement interwoven with run and carry. Florent, in theory, can be a huge contributor in these areas. Putting it into practice is really his only lingering question mark, and it's a big one.

..and his kicking boots..

Oct 17, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Last night he seemed to be doing less time as inside midfield. I wonder if the best approach is to give him less grunt work and keep him fresh to have an attacking impact on the game.

mid season there could have been more grind and fatigue having the responsibility of a key inside mid. So then when he gets the ball he is more likely to rush things and mess up his disposal.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
The disparity between his best and his worst is just so huge and so frustrating but **** me when he's on he is really on. He's a key to our future because he's so suited to what we're trying to do with our style of footy, which is all about quick and direct ball movement interwoven with run and carry. Florent, in theory, can be a huge contributor in these areas. Putting it into practice is really his only lingering question mark, and it's a big one.
For the type of player he is, a player that relies on slick movement out of stoppages and reliable ball movement, we can expect it will be longer for him to find consistency.
If you have a pure grunt, run through the pack, read the play like Rowbottom, he'll find consistency when he gets size (even though he already is very consistent).
Florent needs to figure out when to use his tools and how not to get discouraged when they don't work.

The question is how long do we wait for consistency? Honestly I think the cut off is about 27, which may be way longer than other people think. But if he can slowly build and be better each year, I don't mind waiting till 27 for him to put together a full season.

If there's no progress from year to year then that's different.

For the type of player he is, a player that relies on slick movement out of stoppages and reliable ball movement, we can expect it will be longer for him to find consistency.
If you have a pure grunt, run through the pack, read the play like Rowbottom, he'll find consistency when he gets size (even though he already is very consistent).
Florent needs to figure out when to use his tools and how not to get discouraged when they don't work.

The question is how long do we wait for consistency? Honestly I think the cut off is about 27, which may be way longer than other people think. But if he can slowly build and be better each year, I don't mind waiting till 27 for him to put together a full season.

If there's no progress from year to year then that's different.

Ooooof dunno if I'd wait til he was 27. That basically leaves him in Gary Rohan territory, where we've finally decided we need to get rid of him and have reduced his trade value to virtually nothing.

I'd say 23/24 is about right. I knew he'd take longer than some mids because he had to work on his outside game, which he did throughout 2017/2018, and then his inside game, which he's done in 2019/2020. He's now got to bring it together in cohesive games on a consistent basis. I'd only be willing to wait another year or two to see him produce that kind of footy.

But you might have more patience than me :p

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Ooooof dunno if I'd wait til he was 27. That basically leaves him in Gary Rohan territory, where we've finally decided we need to get rid of him and have reduced his trade value to virtually nothing.

I'd say 23/24 is about right. I knew he'd take longer than some mids because he had to work on his outside game, which he did throughout 2017/2018, and then his inside game, which he's done in 2019/2020. He's now got to bring it together in cohesive games on a consistent basis. I'd only be willing to wait another year or two to see him produce that kind of footy.

But you might have more patience than me :p
I know 27 is more than most, but that's only if there's continuous improvement.
If by 25 he hasn't improved at all, then I would be very worried. But if by 25 he plays maybe 1 bad games out of 5, shows more grunt and has a highlight more often than once a every 5 weeks, then I'll be happy with how he is progressing.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
This kid isn't getting enough love :mad:

Seeing some really good signs, not super flashy, but has cleaned up his ball use, and is weaving through traffic again. Horse hasn't been playing him out of the Centre any more, but I have a feeling that with his continued improvement we could see Ollie get back into the middle.

Might be what we need atm.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Kicking has improved significantly. He is extremely composed, his movement in traffic is as good as we’ve got. He gives us something different and he is working really hard deep into defence.

He has had a really good start to 2021. Always liked the kid, just needed to sort out his delivery by foot.

Back