Review Round 16 - vs Brisbane @ The Gabba (9/9/20 at 7:10pm)

Okay some positives
Dew actually tried a few different things through the middle, Flanders to the wing and Buderick forward late in the last. While the skill was poor the effort was still there from most players.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah, the effort was there from most. Though I did feel like looked slow compared to the lions who were running everywhere. But it was more the skill and execution that let them down. Kicking over the targets head. Turnovers. All these things are easily fixed.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah, the effort was there from most. Though I did feel like looked slow compared to the lions who were running everywhere. But it was more the skill and execution that let them down. Kicking over the targets head. Turnovers. All these things are easily fixed.
There was zero composure under pressure from our young guys other than Benny and Ice Cold Anderson
I'm not sure that can be taught.It's a gift

There was zero composure under pressure from our young guys other than Benny and Ice Cold Anderson
I'm not sure that can be taught.It's a gift
Composure will come with time. They couldn't absorb the heat and pressure, and feel they went into their shells.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
This board is getting so depressing it's hard to want to be on here. Tonight has been probably only our 2nd real stinker since the restart.
We are still incredibly young and growing, gonna be more pain along the way. If you can't handle it then this isn't the team for you
I would suggest that ALL contributors should be welcome to have a say, if that doesn’t fit with your idealistic mindset then it’s your call

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
I would suggest that ALL contributors should be welcome to have a say, if that doesn’t fit with your idealistic mindset then it’s your call
We have been better this year then almost everyone expected and everyone is still whinging like we bottom of the ladder and can't win games. Just sick of the pessimistic attitude when there has been clear improvement with a group that has been younger then last year

We have been better this year then almost everyone expected and everyone is still whinging like we bottom of the ladder and can't win games. Just sick of the pessimistic attitude when there has been clear improvement with a group that has been younger then last year
Its the Big Footy way, no matter what club you are. A loss is doomsday. But this doesnt change the season. They still have exceeded expectations. It's 2021 where we'll really see things take shape

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The improvement if any is off a very very low base
We had a fair bit going for us this season
Very little travel, shorter games, the best injury season in our history
No doubt we have some great young developing players but we've had them before
As a gentle reminder Prestia Dixon Martin Lynch O'Meara Swallow Lemmens McKenzie Day and May all played in our round 1 2014 win over Richmond
All under 22 years of age-all expected to help deliver the rivers of gold
So if you haven't been here since the beginning this has the feel of Sisyphus and his rock to those of us who have
But this time it's different.Right?
We hope so and that's why we keep turning up

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
The improvement if any is off a very very low base
We had a fair bit going for us this season
Very little travel, shorter games, the best injury season in our history
No doubt we have some great young developing players but we've had them before
As a gentle reminder Prestia Dixon Martin Lynch O'Meara Swallow Lemmens McKenzie Day and May all played in our round 1 2014 win over Richmond
All under 22 years of age-all expected to help deliver the rivers of gold
So if you haven't been here since the beginning this has the feel of Sisyphus and his rock to those of us who have
But this time it's different.Right?
We hope so and that's why we keep turning up
Rowell showed more in 4 games then any other midfielder we have drafted. Anderson is a different sort of player to anyone else we have had before. Big,fast, finds his own ball in and out, can kick goals.
King and Luko are pure top grade talent. We have a much better talent base and genuine decent mid aged talent around it in Ainsworth, Bowes, Miller, Weller, Greenwood. We are set up much, much better then originally. Plus Dew is a much better match day coach then Rocket or McKenna.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We're certainly better set up.
I maintain the best recruit we've had in the last 5 years is Mark Evans
But before their knees went, O'Meara and Swallow were likely generational talents .
Lynch and Dixon have proven their worth.
And there was a little bloke called Ablett running around pre-shoulder injury
I'm not sure overall there's a huge talent gap between 2014 and today
It remains to be seen if Dew can coach us to become a consistent winning team
So far his record is obviously very poor
We haven't had any "woohoo"-out of the box-surprise!upsets that I can recall?
My view on sport from having been in the middle and watching is success is measured by success
Everything else is just window dressing
This year I would have liked to see more progress but it's been a funny year and 2020 will always have an asterisk next to it
If we're in the same position next year well The Coch will really have to go to town to defend the blank cheque he's written for Dew and his coaching panel because the knives will be out and blokes like Lloyd and Barrett will have them well sharpened and ready

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Wow
It's tough when the board moderators are hurling personal insults
Just for the record I'd back Iva Bigun 's footy knowledge over just about anyone on BigFooty
Not sure what your background is other than frisbees and yank rugby
Hoo boy.

Kindly show me where I quoted or tagged you in anything resembling a personal attack and I'd be more than happy to issue an apology.

Broad generalisations aside, I don't claim to have a better football knowledge than anyone, I will own up however to have a very well rounded sports nous and experience as a national level athlete in multiple sports.

I am however quite sick of coming in and having to put up with the pissing and moaning despite the fact that we have drastically improved since last year and have been trending upwards despite a few hiccups.

We were just about unamiously picked for the spoon and if you look at the ladder we're nowhere near it.

We were blessed to have been in finals consideration this close to the end of the season (even if it is a shortened one)

But hey what do I know? I'm a youngster that doesn't know what I'm talking about right?

Ps. Fair cop. I'm actually horrible at Frisbee, Never quite figured out the wrist motion.
Outclassed by a clear best 2 team. But its really the skill errors I was more disappointed with. The turnovers, the not hitting targets.

Another pre-season for these players will do them wonders.
Can't disagree with this, Skill errors were bad but Brisbane's pressure forced us into these imo.

Next preseason will be so valuable, It's been said in the past but this is the one, the true one honestly.

Lions on a 4 day break. 2 men down another on 1 leg and Andrews out.
It was a very poor performance. Very poor.
Other than it being a 5 day break I am not going to disagree with this.

Very disheartening.
Easy on the kids - a lot of young skin out there tonight against a top 2 side - did well to hold them back after qtr time.

last year got done by 95 points, with a much more experienced side.

kids stuffed up - own it, learn from it, get the head back in the game against the pies next week.
Honestly half the time I should just quote your posts Cam and leave it at that.

Such an eloquent and concise way of putting it.

This board is getting so depressing it's hard to want to be on here. Tonight has been probably only our 2nd real stinker since the restart.
We are still incredibly young and growing, gonna be more pain along the way. If you can't handle it then this isn't the team for you
I hear you 100% mate, It's been incredibly hard to get on here some days over the last few years and although it probably doesn't mean much I hope those of you that do the same dispite the virol know that I appreciate this from the bottom of my cold dead heart.

If it wasn't for some of you keeping the faith and sticking in this with me I would have turned in my badage and gun a long time ago.

Keep the faith, keep the trust, keep the positivity

We're all in this together.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
I understand that but everyone should have the right to express their feelings, not everyone sees things the same way. The common thread is passion, embrace it .

GunshyFire

Debutant
Apr 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Lions off a 5 day break, not 4. ;) Being down on the bench doesn't hurt you in the game you're playing - see us vs Pies a few years ago. It hurts you the game after given more players have spent petrol tickets.

But yeah, we definitely sucked butt tonight.
So for example, if we were to have two players go down in our game against the Pies? One being a guy who plays 100% game time consistently and the other providing a chop out for Big O in the ruck. Then that might contribute to some of our players having spent petrol tickets going into our next game against... You? And then we have another two players go down early so those guys already knackered from the last game with less rotations have to do it all again. Just acknowledge we overcame adversity two games in a row brother :thumbsupemoji: Hope the Suns bounce back, I love a bunch of the players but a lot of boys were off tonight.

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
I understand that but everyone should have the right to express their feelings, not everyone sees things the same way. The common thread is passion, embrace it .
There's alot of passion flying around that's for sure and it's quite obvious there's more than a few testy people on both sides.

We're all fusterated, It's just how one goes about it that's the point of contention.

It would be just a little easier on everyone if we were all pulling in the same direction.

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
the part i get frustrated at is we've been singing the "young and growing" song for 10 years. i get that we've improved on last year, but last night's performance was black and white compared to how well we were playing at the start of the restart in terms of pressure and decision making.

i try to be an optimist, and brisbane were clearly a much better team, but i think we should be aiming to expect more from our team. settling for "it's ok we're only a young team" can only go so far.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
the part i get frustrated at is we've been singing the "young and growing" song for 10 years. i get that we've improved on last year, but last night's performance was black and white compared to how well we were playing at the start of the restart in terms of pressure and decision making.

i try to be an optimist, and brisbane were clearly a much better team, but i think we should be aiming to expect more from our team. settling for "it's ok we're only a young team" can only go so far.
But we still are incredibly young, we are almost the same age profile as we where in 2013. I know its frustrating ive been there from the start as everyone has and its disheartening to watch us not turn up. But we used to not turn up every week, now its only happened really twice since the restart, last night and against Carlton (which can pretty much be forgiven because of our ridiculous scheduling)
The team has been in a lot of games this year and you can see massive improvement in players from last year. We will get there, just need a little bit of patience and faith. The right people are at the club now

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Yeah it was disappointing. There’s been improvements sure but that was deflating last night. It was a lesson.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Yeah it was disappointing. There’s been improvements sure but that was deflating last night. It was a lesson.
Disappointing yes, but who don't with the result go our way thread , getting our emotion and hope high play it part. 5 win and a draw is a good result with a young squad.

#fakenews.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Same old line, We will learn from it, take something from it
I nearly choked when I heard the "we nearly won 2 quarters"
I really hope that's said for the fans and isn't a metric the coaching staff hold on to
It comes up on my Suns Bingo every time the opposition shuts the door on us in the first 20 minutes in a big match
"Coach mentions we were competitive after the game was lost"

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Disappointing yes, but who don't with the result go our way thread , getting our emotion and hope high play it part. 5 win and a draw is a good result with a young squad.

#fakenews.
As I mentioned in another thread unless we jag a Neale/Cameron there is a strong chance of us flatlining
As good as Rowell Anderson Lukosius and King are we're one injury away from disaster and we don't have any leadership polish in the mids

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
We got pantsed badly by Carlton , beat up on an undermanned and demoralised North Melbourne and pantsed again tonight
We are a solid bottom 5 team playing guys who shouldn't be getting a senior game of AFL footy
We have to assume Moneyball at play with Wright Fiorini and Brodie
They will be allowed to walk to make salary cap room and we'll play guys like MacPherson Holman Day Flanders Graham and others not quite up to it to keep the young developing stars
Is the only explanation when you see such a sad midfield and forward line performance as we witnessed tonight and have seen pretty much over there past 6-8 weeks
I agree with Day, DMac, Graham & Holman but I don’t mind getting games into Flanders. Luko & King looked all at sea early last year. Just get games into the future boys.
Ellis & Greenwood have been good this year. I’m all for chasing mature mids. Atkins and Crouch not everyone’s cup of tea but massive improvement in what we’ve got. Draft A graders and build around them. We were very poor last night.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
As I mentioned in another thread unless we jag a Neale/Cameron there is a strong chance of us flatlining
As good as Rowell Anderson Lukosius and King are we're one injury away from disaster and we don't have any leadership polish in the mids
We have a Neale in Rowell. Can't forget this guy.

Back