Review Good vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't worry he is busy fighting with the Port, Cats & other supporters on the Brouch thread... which funny enough has gone to sh*t!

Pretty sure he's got alias accounts on both of those boards. Think he's got one on the Carlton board too.

Live it felt Jones was ordinary but watching the replay and looking for him a bit more he wasn't too bad. Certainly puts the body pressure and looks to hurt the opposition. Sure he still blunders some things up but I think he will get it together.

I remember most of this board getting frustrated to hell with Milera in his first couple seasons then his move down back he showed what he can really do.

I'd back Jones to start looking like an AFL player next year. His pace will be beneficial once things really click.
That was my thoughts also, and it was the same for Schoenberg. Didnt think he did a great deal either but he was in the right spot quite a bit.

I think McHenry needs to find some balance to his game. If he is a fitness machine I feel at his size perhaps he needs to shelve the physical stuff and play an outside running game.
I think (eg) McAdam, Fogarty, Schoenberg and Keays (also Himmelberg, last 3-4 games) have shown some well-directed mongrel in and around the ball, projecting an attitude of "you're not going to push me around AND if you've got the ball it's going to hurt you to keep it".
McHenry shows a lot of aggro and bluster but mostly around dead balls and it's more like "See how tough I am?". Some of it's healthy; some misdirected*. I'd like to see that aggro directed more at getting the ball as his main objective and, if the opposition has the ball, getting it back off them.
(*Edited 0510 Thursday 10/09/20)

Last edited:
I think (eg) McAdam, Fogarty, Schoenberg and Keays (also Himmelberg, last 3-4 games) have shown some well-directed mongrel in and around the ball, projecting an attitude of "you're not going to push me around AND if you've got the ball it's going to hurt you to keep it".
McHenry shows a lot of aggro and bluster but mostly around dead balls and it's more like "See how tough I am?". It's misdirected. I'd like to see that aggro directed more at getting the ball as his main objective and, if the opposition has the ball, getting it back off them.

I'm going to join bicks in the disagree crowd. I want McHenry to keep the aggro and bluster up off the ball. That "well directed mongrel" doesn't stand up to real mongrel, and the team who has players willing to bully the other team off the ball will always go far in this league. After all, the dynasty sides were all masterful at that aspect, especially Hawthorn with Mitchell and Hodge. The goal for someone like McHenry is to become a damn good inside midfielder on top of learning how to harness that off-ball mongrel into someone who knows exactly where the line is between a legal and illegal act and is willing to consistently push in and around that point. A true spark-plug for a side, and he certainly has an attitude about him that'll take to that style.

Mind you, he's at about 40% of his disposals being contested and a tick under a clearance a game at the moment so he's certainly winning it when he's got to go (and also backs up my attitude about him being a ball winning midfielder as that seems a very high for someone who has been primarily a forward).

I'm going to join bicks in the disagree crowd. I want McHenry to keep the aggro and bluster up off the ball. That "well directed mongrel" doesn't stand up to real mongrel, and the team who has players willing to bully the other team off the ball will always go far in this league. After all, the dynasty sides were all masterful at that aspect, especially Hawthorn with Mitchell and Hodge. The goal for someone like McHenry is to become a damn good inside midfielder on top of learning how to harness that off-ball mongrel into someone who knows exactly where the line is between a legal and illegal act and is willing to consistently push in and around that point. A true spark-plug for a side, and he certainly has an attitude about him that'll take to that style.

Mind you, he's at about 40% of his disposals being contested and a tick under a clearance a game at the moment so he's certainly winning it when he's got to go (and also backs up my attitude about him being a ball winning midfielder as that seems a very high for someone who has been primarily a forward).
I'd suggest he didn't watch McHenry in the SANFL especially in the latter part of the 2019 season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for that very reasonable reply. I see what you're getting at :thumbsu: and have amended my original post.
To Mutineer, as well; I'm actually a McHenry fan.
I love his aggro when it is directed at "40% of his disposals being contested and a tick under a clearance a game at the moment so he's certainly winning it when he's got to go" (from your reply).
I'll try to explain my earlier comments.
There are a lot of neutral moments in football eg stacks on the mill==> dead ball ==> players go passive and pick themselves up for a throw-up OR ball goes oob ==> players walk/jog away and get into position.
Nothing's happening, then sometimes --- sometimes --- McHenry runs in pushing and shoving with all of his 1.79m and 70Kgs. That's the kind of "feisty" that I think is misdirected, and your comment about harnessing his energy/aggro is on the money.
Do you remember when Keays (I think) tackled that Hawthorn player about 2m over the Western wing boundary, 2 games ago? To me, that's on-the-ball aggro which the better teams dish out in spades. When Hawthorn players ran in to object and push'n'shove, Schoenberg ran in to defend Keays (might have been the other way around, not sure) and if McHenry had been playing/there and joined in, great :thumbsu:. McHenry (20) just needs to pick his moments, and I'm sure he will.

And now, all of a sudden, we find ourselves all in the same chapter and moving closer to being on the same page.
Several posters have commented similarly.
The Crows of the last 3 weeks do not look as disunited/dispirited/uninterested as the mob getting hammered before that. They're playing with more energy, more intent (Mrouch 12 tackles! vs GWS), and I'd say even with a bit of flair from the new blokes (Keays/Sholl/Hamill/Schoenberg). The improvement in eg Himmelberg (looks and moves less like a praying mantis and more like a good CHF) and McAdam! has been great to watch.
I'd love to know from Nicks and the players what's happened, how and why.

Last edited:
With the emergence of McAdam we no longer need Lynch, he won't be traded and he won't leave but he is no longer in the walk up start category
Oh please don't discount Lynch yet ...he has maybe two seasons left, which in this developing team is perfect

Still one of the smartest users of the ball in our side

We can only hope that McAdam gains the fitness to shift to the midfield ......WOW could he make a difference

The Crows of the last 3 weeks do not look as disunited/dispirited/uninterested as the mob getting hammered before that. They're playing with more energy, more intent (Mrouch 12 tackles! vs GWS), and I'd say even with a bit of flair from the new blokes (Keays/Sholl/Hamill/Schoenberg). The improvement in eg Himmelberg (looks and moves less like a preying mantis and more like a good CHF) and McAdam! has been great to watch.
They played golf, simple

The Crows of the last 3 weeks do not look as disunited/dispirited/uninterested as the mob getting hammered before that. They're playing with more energy, more intent (Mrouch 12 tackles! vs GWS), and I'd say even with a bit of flair from the new blokes (Keays/Sholl/Hamill/Schoenberg). The improvement in eg Himmelberg (looks and moves less like a preying mantis and more like a good CHF) and McAdam! has been great to watch.
Probably a combination of things. Time. Better communication. How do you convey your message across a number of small groups (because they can't all train together) and have it mean the same thing at the same time? I reckon Nicks has figured it out.

Well, there was also effort, not fumbling, tackling, goal kicking, gameplan, confidence, handballing, spatial awareness, coaching and fitness.

But yeah, I get your point about aerial competition and kicking.

Our effort, game plan, fitness and coaching have been the same all year.
Other areas havent really improved. We're still fumbly and our handballing is still average.

Ill take spatial awareness though. we seem to be able to somewhat find a target under pressure much easier.
One you didnt mention which i think is probably as important if not more than all of those is spacing.

We are not committing 3 or 4 numbers to the 1m around the ball any more. We have options out the side and the back which we hadnt had all year.

Minimal missing of obvious easy kicking targets and a ton less interecpt marks from opposition makes us look a lot better side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back