Footy Developments in NSW and Queensland

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Good work BBT. Another point is the media up there -They are right into RL and are likely to continue that way. The AFL Grand Final will obviously get media attention for a period and the media will then resume the normal business of RL.
How you overcome that is the big question. What is the AR coverage now- Is it getting any mentions at all.
Lets take Perth this year as an example -The West Australian has noticeably increased its AFL/Aussie Rules coverage in the Sat edition to about 4/5/6 pages and now covers as well live streaming of Private School Footy , Southwest National Football League, Other country leagues. This is the perfect situation for our game.

Took the Swans decades to get coverage and even now it’s no what you would call great.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
1. Fox Sports M. St John 3.9

P. V'landys making strong, "scathing attacks" against the AFL, & attacking AFL's chances of increasing its popularity in Qld.
It is very rare in Australia for the top leader of one sport to make such a strong, public direct attack on another sport's chances of increasing its popularity.
What has motivated V'landys' comments?
V'landys continuing to channel Donald Trump. When you have zero substance, being bombastic and denigrating your opponents will have the media eating out of the palm of your hand and convince idiots that you have something going for you.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
V'landys continuing to channel Donald Trump. When you have zero substance, being bombastic and denigrating your opponents will have the media eating out of the palm of your hand and convince idiots that you have something going for you.

Brent Read?

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. Courier Mail 7.3.20

Legends B. Slater & C. Smith also do not support any plans to increase the NRL to 17 teams- because both say (like many other RL experts) the average standard of the NRL will decline to unacceptable levels.

Article headings state "Legends worry talent pool wont sustain 17 teams".

"Billy Slater & Cameron Smith have warned against expansion...not enough good players to go around...".

(Behind a paywall- can anyone post this full link here)

Brisbane 2 is a no-brainer for a RL-dominated city of 2.4m: a big boost for the NRL possibly GR RL. P. V'landys, many RL experts, & Nine (better ratings) are strongly supporting Brisbane 2 entering some time after 2023
Nine (T. Malone etc.), however, has stated it won't support 17 teams, NRL should remain at 16- Nine wants the no. of Sydney NRL team/s reduced.

2. abc.net 3.6.20

Re the recent poor performance of the 3 Qld. NRL clubs

"...Queensland's struggles have not so coincidentally coincided with drop-off in SEQ (referring to the significant decline GR male contact nos.- my words). All of this is to say if the Broncos can't find elite Qld. talent, it is less likely a glut of talent is even there....The League is made up of 16 teams, which is arguably too many for a sport that is only favoured in 2 States...expansion is a dangerous prospect in the NRL".

B. Slater said, re the possibility of a 17th team

"I think the issue...is the depth of talent. I honestly don't believe there's enough talent to fill another team. I think you will dilute the competition".

The long term, significant decline of GR male regd. contact RL nos. in NSW/ACT & Qld. is having a detrimental effect on current NRL average player skills; & may cause the NRL to be unable to expand beyond 16 teams- or even a reduction in Clubs (A. Johns wants only 12 in the NRL).

EDIT:

3. nrl.com 9.7.20

Two nrl.com journalists discuss the current, average skill levels in the NRL; & whether it is prudent for an imminent increase to 17 teams.

M. Lenehan said

"It's also clear from the abysmal form of the Broncos,Titans, Dragons, & Bulldogs that our talent is already spread thin enough, & a 17th Club isn't sustainable right now".

Last edited:

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. QRL Chairman B. Hatcher wants the NRL to remain at 16 teams if a second team is added to Brisbane c. 2023.

Daily Telegraph R. Craddock 6.9

Craddock wrote

"B. Hatcher believes if rugby league wants an extra side in Brisbane, it should make the cost-friendly choice of relocating a cash-strapped Sydney team...".

"One worry about the inclusion of an extra Qld. team is that it could prove a talent drain (my emphasis) on Qld.'s already stretched talent pool, in which the Broncos, Cowboys, & Titans have been struggling near the bottom of the ladder".

"P. V'landys... looks to combat the AFL's threat to dominate Qld. by launching a 2nd team in Brisbane".

Hatcher said

"Given the financials...it worries me that money put into it could deprive the QRL of important funding in our areas of responsibility".

Hatcher's above comment might relate to the extraordinary, & almost shocking, QRL 24.7 statement that the 2020 Rugby League Brisbane Juniors competition, for contact RL U6- U12 players in greater Brisbane (excluding Ipswich, & the Ipswich Junior RL comp.) had only c. 5000 players. VERY low for a RL-heartland city of 2.2m And U13- U18 nos.(not delineated) were dismal- far worse!

The Gold Coast-Brisbane-Sunshine Coast contact RL comps., jnr & snr, are struggling, whilst GR AF is having strong growth. See my posts#104 107 110.

(scroll to 7.9. then click on Daily Telegraph article).

2. EDIT: 7news.com 1.9.19

Nine's Director Of Sport, T. Malone, also wants the NRL to stay at 16 teams: but, by cutting 1 Sydney team, also advocates in favour of adding a 2nd team in Brisbane. (Better ratings in Qld.)

Malone said, alluding also to perceptions of unsatisfactory NRL average skill levels

"In a perfect world, you'd probably have one or two less teams" in Sydney.

3. nrl.com 22.3.18

Former NRL CEO T. Greenberg said on 22.3.18

"There is a genuine challenge for male participation in the 13-17 age group. The research is telling us that the environment at junior rugby league level, at Clubs & grounds, is one of the great problems for us to tackle".
(P. Beattie, former ARLC Chairman, has made similar comments)

The NRL is currently claiming record nos. of official regd. RL "participants" in NSW & Qld. This is deliberately misleading.
Most of these "participants", however, are playing non contact touch/tag matches; &/or are involved in community events, one-off Gala Days etc, short term school non-contact RL programs.

The AFL, together with the FFA, RA, CA, & many other sports, also adopt, for their official regd. nos, similar rubbery "participant" figures. The majority of these sports' official regd. nos. are not players in club & school regular competitions.

Last edited:

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
1. QRL Chairman B. Hatcher wants the NRL to remain at 16 teams if a second team is added to Brisbane c. 2023.

Daily Telegraph R. Craddock 6.9

Craddock wrote

"B. Hatcher believes if rugby league wants an extra side in Brisbane, it should make the cost-friendly choice of relocating a cash-strapped Sydney team.."

"One worry about the inclusion of an extra Qld. team is that it could prove a talent drain on Qld.'s already stretched talent pool, in which the Broncos, Cowboys, & Titans have been struggling near the bottom of the ladder".

"P. V'landys... looks to combat the AFL's threat to dominate Qld. by launching a 2nd team in Brisbane".

Hatcher said

"Given the financials...it worries me that money put into it could deprive the QRL of important funding in our areas of responsibility".

Hatcher's above comment might relate to the extraordinary, & almost shocking, QRL 24.7 statement that the 2020 Rugby League Brisbane Juniors competition, for contact RL U6- U12 players in greater Brisbane (excluding the Ipswich Junior RL comp.) had only c. 5000 players. VERY low for a RL-heartland city of 2.2m. And U13- U18 nos. were dismal- far worse.

The Gold Coast-Brisbane-Sunshine Coast contact RL comps., jnr & snr, are struggling, whilst GR AF is having strong growth. See my posts#104 107 110.

(scroll to 7.9. then click on Daily Telegraph article).

2. EDIT: 7news.com 1.9.19

Nine's Director Of Sport, T. Malone, also wants the NRL to stay at 16 teams: but, by cutting 1 Sydney team, is also in favour of adding a 2nd team in Brisbane. (Better ratings in Qld.)

Malone said, alluding also to perceptions of unsatisfactory NRL average skill levels

"In a perfect world, you'd probably have one or two less teams" in Sydney.

3. nrl.com 22.3.18

Former NRL CEO T. Greenberg said on 22.3.18

"There is a genuine challenge for male participation in the 13-17 age group. The research is telling us that the environment at junior rugby league level, at Clubs & grounds, is one of the great problems for us to tackle".
(P. Beattie, former ARLC Chairman, has made similar comments)

The NRL is currently claiming record nos. of official regd. RL "participants" in NSW & Qld. This is deliberately misleading.
Most of these "participants", however, are playing non contact touch/tag matches; &/or are involved in community events, one-off Gala Days etc, short term school non-contact RL programs.

The AFL, together with the FFA, RA, CA, & many other sports, also adopt, for their official regd. nos, similar rubbery "participant" figures. The majority of these sports' official regd. nos. are not players in club & school regular competitions.

werdna78

All Australian
Sep 29, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fulham Football Club
Earlier in the year, the NRL were looking to move or merge teams to create the 2nd Brisbane team. Then Covid-19 hit and they went into survival mode and fought to keep all the teams. They will probably look at it again at the end of the season, there are a few nonviable NRL clubs.

werdna78

All Australian
Sep 29, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fulham Football Club
1. It appears very likely the AFL GF (& other Finals) will be held in Brisbane- a major boost for the AFL & GR AF in Qld.

2. WWOS Ch.9 G. Vlotis 1.9

Vlotis wrote

"ARL Commission Chairman P. V'landys says the NRL is very concerned about the state of RL in Qld., as AFL begins to make a foothold in the Sunshine State ".

V'landys said

"We're very concerned because we need a strong Broncos...the (NRL) ratings are poor, & that makes it hard to renegotiate broadcast deals...there's a big opportunity for the AFL in Qld....Their (AFL) ratings are up 20%...The Qld. viewer has viewed AFL, so we've got to take that challenge head-on in the future, because if we don't, they'll get a footprint in Qld., & we lose our second biggest market".

EDIT:

3. This is a snapshot of the growth of regd. GR AF players in Qld. Despite a much delayed & shortened GR season, there are record Qld. AF jnr nos. in 2020, having already surpassed the 2019 record.

A huge upgrade to Redcliffe FC pavilion (far nthn Brisbane) is a fantastic achievement- $18.8m!
I suspect the major growth in female AF in this nthn. region (as it has all over Aust.) played a major part in this Moreton Bay Council substantial investment in AF.

In the last 5 years in the Brisbane North region:-

. the no. of Clubs are up 26%
. AF participant nos. are up 125%
. female participant nos. are up 439%
("Participant" is rubbery as it includes not only club & school comp. players: but also one-off Gala Days, community events, & short term AF school programs, which have much lower significance).

The Moreton Bay Sports Complex is also fairly new, it's where the Lions NEAFL and the AFLW girls play.

1599683677331.png

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Which ones in particular? Tigers, Sharks and Manly are usually in the firing line, but are any of them truly unviable?

Tigers are always in the firing line, they have no allies at ch9 or fox (blocker wants them moved).

Would be the final straw for me after the merger.

Sharks should of merged or moved 20 years ago during the peace deal but fox saved them.

Dogs and Manly are the other 2 in danger. Surprising fall from 30 years ago when they were powerhouses.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Tigers are always in the firing line, they have no allies at ch9 or fox (blocker wants them moved).

Would be the final straw for me after the merger.

Sharks should of merged or moved 20 years ago during the peace deal but fox saved them.

Dogs and Manly are the other 2 in danger. Surprising fall from 30 years ago when they were powerhouses.
Thought the Dogs made a fortune from pokies, surely that saves them. I could see them merging with the Tigers though, since they have contiguous support areas. One club covering the inner west and south west should be a financial success.

I've been told a few times that the Sharks will be financially solvent because they own their own ground. That doesn't mean they have to have their own first grade team though. It'd be a shame to see them merge with SGI and lose that rivalry. Maybe with the Roosters? Both clubs from rich coastal areas, could train in Cronulla and play at SFS.

The problem I see with getting rid of Manly is there's nobody else north of the river, and transport from Manly to the rest of the city isn't great. Are the NRL really willing to lose that territory?

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Thought the Dogs made a fortune from pokies, surely that saves them. I could see them merging with the Tigers though, since they have contiguous support areas. One club covering the inner west and south west should be a financial success.

I've been told a few times that the Sharks will be financially solvent because they own their own ground. That doesn't mean they have to have their own first grade team though. It'd be a shame to see them merge with SGI and lose that rivalry. Maybe with the Roosters? Both clubs from rich coastal areas, could train in Cronulla and play at SFS.

The problem I see with getting rid of Manly is there's nobody else north of the river, and transport from Manly to the rest of the city isn't great. Are the NRL really willing to lose that territory?

They and the broadcast partners are desperate for more qld teams. Central Queensland have a stadium on the way, the western corridor and Brisbane 2.

They have to merge, move or shutdown multiple Sydney clubs.
Might be taken out of their hands as who knows what will happen to the taxes etc up here on Pokies, most NRL clubs in Sydney rely on pokie money.

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
They and the broadcast partners are desperate for more qld teams. Central Queensland have a stadium on the way, the western corridor and Brisbane 2.

They have to merge, move or shutdown multiple Sydney clubs.
Might be taken out of their hands as who knows what will happen to the taxes etc up here on Pokies, most NRL clubs in Sydney rely on pokie money.
Why?? Sydney growing faster than any regional area so spread of teams good.
All talk has been about 17th team from nrl side of things.
Wishful thinking on your part - don't know why no proof fans will go running to other sport

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Why?? Sydney growing faster than any regional area so spread of teams good.
All talk has been about 17th team from nrl side of things.
Wishful thinking on your part - don't know why no proof fans will go running to other sport

They’ve said multiple times they don’t want 17 or 18 teams and they can’t afford it.

Where did I say that in my post? I didn’t.
I look forward to watching your mob take on the winter codes with interest.

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
They’ve said multiple times they don’t want 17 or 18 teams and they can’t afford it.

Where did I say that in my post? I didn’t.
I look forward to watching your mob take on the winter codes with interest.
Nrl have never said they don't want 17 teams. Have said they will keep all current teams.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
So apparently there are 50 to 60K people who live on the redcliffe peninsular 🤣🤣

This is the problem the NRL has. The only regions that could get traction are too small. The bigger regions like Ipswich and Logan are presumably the most wedded to the Broncos

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
So apparently there are 50 to 60K people who live on the redcliffe peninsular 🤣🤣

This is the problem the NRL has. The only regions that could get traction are too small. The bigger regions like Ipswich and Logan are presumably the most wedded to the Broncos
Morton Bay has population of about 500k bigger than both Ipswich & Logan. Pays to know about world outside Melbourne

werdna78

All Australian
Sep 29, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fulham Football Club
Have you seen upgraded Dolphin Stadium??
Redcliffe favorite for entry to NRL in 2022 will take stranglehold over area.
Nice. Upgraded facilities vs brand new fields. Have there been any new league grounds built recently? In Queensland or NSW?

Back