Review Round 16, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The free kick count in favour of the Suns (21-12) was a disgrace, again not to mention all the ones missed to both sides. HTB calls and marking contest infringements seemed to go only one way or not paid (Witts in the last quarter stands out) and Robbo again not being looked after when it was plain as day a free was warranted were a disgrace.

Rosebury was again a disgrace and the less that is said about Elani the better. No feel for the game and she pretty much has no clue or doesn't know the rules.

As for the commentators tonight, they were quite good and I thought Kelly Underwood was excellent. She has great knowledge of the game and just calls the game as it is, unlike those morons on channel 7. I did think it was odd that Alistair Lynch wasn't the boundary rider and we wound up with that meathead in Ricciuto.

Final shout out for Mitch Robinson in his post game interview who singled out the Melbourne Lions members. All class by Mitch.

Just finished the replay. Really awesome four quarter effort from Brisbane. All 22 contributed. Ah Chee was awesome off the half back and Smith's ruck work was really impressive. Competed well but also did some really nice taps to advantage.

If the back end of our 22 are performing at a high standard, good luck to the opposition.

Really felt like everyone lifted tonight. Amazing how damaging we can be when the likes of Neale, McCluggage, Zorko, Cameron, Hipwood and Robinson are going at full pace. They’ve all been down on form but we’re all very good tonight. Our others have probably been able to minimise their drop off in form, but if they can go on with tonight’s performance we’ll be playing on the Gabba come Grand Final day.

Eleni and Umpire #8 hang your heads in shame. The lack of consistency was appalling. Absolute flower.

The Brownlow is over. Etch L.Neale in right now.

Awesome job seeing we were 2 down and had Linc limited to the F50 the 2nd half.

Rayner makes the impossible seem easy and the easy seem difficult.

Hope Bez isn't too bad and Starce only misses a week. Answerth was ordinary and Archie a stop gap as Stef is surely cherry ripe to play now.

CEY Berry Jr and Dev must be a look in next week.

I gave Payne a vote he owned King and did his damn job bloody good.
We 🤔

Heaps of positives. But the one that stood out for me was Rayners attack on man and football over the last 2 rounds. He has never cracked in harder. Probably more confident in his body (which mind you is probably the best shape for the position he plays).

No offence, but if that is the best he has got, the bar is pretty bloody low.
It was better than Ballendean and Skinner have dished up in their games this year. Long term I don’t rate Archie but Oscar can’t play 100% of ruck time and until Steph comes back Archie will likely play each game.

I sat up above the benches, Bez's shoulder was not in a sling and he was moving it freely, waking and patting team mates on the back. Yes scans may show different. My daughter told me scans are a must when they pop it back in to make sure no nerves or tendons got dragged into the joint. Fagan said in the press conference Bez kept telling him he wanted to play. Fingers crossed its not a Harris andrews worse than thought but no ice, no sling, fever movement looks positive.
Let’s hope so .
Would be awful if he missed finals he has played so well .

Payne was a revelation, looking like he had played lots of games. Bailey was very quite until half time but had a much better second half.

There were posters who were on the early Payne train and I wonder if any of them were early 'Bailey boosters'. I did not see Bailey getting as good as he has become.

Anyone who can direct to posts singing both these two blokes' praises should immediately apply to help the club with drafting.

The introduction of Coleman and Payne show some real depth and I cannot help thinking ,once again, that Lester's fine form has stopped us blooding Payne. The drafting of Adams has similarly cost us the opportunity to get games into the young blokes.

I'm not that worried about Payne in the finals as Andrews was well beaten in the Geelong game and not dominant in the Richmond game. Payne will step up and do a job for us but we are a bit short in the backline.

I thought we were definitely up for last nights game but Gold Coast were off too. We got away with quite a few poor kicks which the better teams will capitalise on.

We are the form team of the competition winning the most games since the restart of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just felt like everyone lifted that 5-10% each; Charlie was lively, Robbo's best game in a while, Ah Chee looked the best he has in defence and Archie broke-even if not beat Witts in the ruck.

If that lift is on the back of players stepping up to cover Harris then his injury could be the turning point of our season*

*If he makes it back for finals.

The free kick count in favour of the Suns (21-12) was a disgrace, again not to mention all the ones missed to both sides. HTB calls and marking contest infringements seemed to go only one way or not paid (Witts in the last quarter stands out) and Robbo again not being looked after when it was plain as day a free was warranted were a disgrace.

Rosebury was again a disgrace and the less that is said about Elani the better. No feel for the game and she pretty much has no clue or doesn't know the rules.

As for the commentators tonight, they were quite good and I thought Kelly Underwood was excellent. She has great knowledge of the game and just calls the game as it is, unlike those morons on channel 7. I did think it was odd that Alistair Lynch wasn't the boundary rider and we wound up with tethat meathead in Ricciuto.

Final shout out for Mitch Robinson in his post game interview who singled out the Melbourne Lions members. All class by Mitch.

A while back there was general talk that teams that were losing on the scoreboard were more desperate and involved in more defensive acts which resulted in giving away more free kicks. We were losing everything back then. I was m'eh about that explanation at the time and now it's clearly obvious it was just a rubbish defence when teams were getting reamed.

Apparently if they got rid of the bounce there'd be a heap more umpires who could be used. I say ditch the bounce for a year, bring in new guys and see if the umpiring standard improves.,

Anyone talking up smiths game hasn’t got a clue . Takes out a player of ours , not for the first tine this year may I add . One passage of play he handballed to Neale was on his back , another passsge he got bump off ball in a marking contest by a kid about 20kgs lighter then him . Absolute travesty he has another year on his contract . He is the very definition of a list clogger .

Anyone talking up smiths game hasn’t got a clue . Takes out a player of ours , not for the first tine this year may I add . One passage of play he handballed to Neale was on his back , another passsge he got bump off ball in a marking contest by a kid about 20kgs lighter then him . Absolute travesty he has another year on his contract . He is the very definition of a list clogger .

I guess Fagan and the rest of the coaches don't have a clue then because he won't be dropped.

Fox are STILL going about Payne not coming up against Hawkins or better forwards. F*** off.
Yeah David King stated on 'First Crack' on Sunday night Payne was not the answer as he 'was all at sea against Richmond' talk about seeking a headline about a one gamer who actually wasn't all that bad against the Tigers. Well those of us who watch every game of NEAFL know the kid and a few others can play, just need some experience and time.

We were clearly raring to go for this one, everyone seemed on from the very first bounce. Great response after the slow start against the pies. Probably not too much more to add that hasn't already been said, but I'm glad bailey got into it in the second half as he has been a bit quiet the last two games.

Also Ah Chee going back and doing a great job, did he play on sexton? Seemed to be completely shut out of the game who ever it was.

Was just saying the rule had changed and disagree he run 5 mtrs before tackled. It's still a stupid rule.
He tried to break a tackle, 2 actually, it used to be if you got tackled taking it from the ruck automatic free wether you had prior or not. Yes you can take it from the ruck now but same rules still apply as around the field. He had prior opportunity and tried to break a tackles, free kick every day of the week even Wednesday’s.

Good win lads...would have liked to see less defensive marks by the Suns especially in the last qtr given our height advantage
I think Payne was off for about 5 minutes in the last Q, after taking a good contested mark, might have coped a knocked. So a bit short with Lester and Gardner.

We were clearly raring to go for this one, everyone seemed on from the very first bounce. Great response after the slow start against the pies. Probably not too much more to add that hasn't already been said, but I'm glad bailey got into it in the second half as he has been a bit quiet the last two games.

Also Ah Chee going back and doing a great job, did he play on sexton? Seemed to be completely shut out of the game who ever it was.
I thought Ah Chee also played well and Robbo seemed to swing back frequently to support the backline, so many solid performances, Been stated before but Coleman looked composed

Payne was a revelation, looking like he had played lots of games. Bailey was very quite until half time but had a much better second half.

There were posters who were on the early Payne train and I wonder if any of them were early 'Bailey boosters'. I did not see Bailey getting as good as he has become.

Anyone who can direct to posts singing both these two blokes' praises should immediately apply to help the club with drafting.

The introduction of Coleman and Payne show some real depth and I cannot help thinking ,once again, that Lester's fine form has stopped us blooding Payne. The drafting of Adams has similarly cost us the opportunity to get games into the young blokes.

I'm not that worried about Payne in the finals as Andrews was well beaten in the Geelong game and not dominant in the Richmond game. Payne will step up and do a job for us but we are a bit short in the backline.
There is no room for Adams in the side. His was punt that didn't pay off. Good luck to him in the future.

Bet you didn't expect that did ya?

Great game live, good atmosphere, the crowd enjoyed the game, Charlie kicked some, Hippy got it straighter, Rayner had a plan off, Robbo charged in, new kids were great, Neale best on ground - it was like all time. Happy days.

Payne is a big, fast, monster, lets persist this boy is good, just needs learning time. Coleman has unbelievable vision and seemingly more time than others around hime - potential with a capital "P".

Good games also from Rich, Neale, Answerth, Hippy, Charlie, Rayner, Robbo, Clugga, thanks Ling, oh bugger they were all good EXCEPT the usual whipping boys McStay and now Archie and possibly Lester.
Agree Coleman does have vision and because of that appears to have that 'time' that the class players have. Couple of his kicks and handballs were sublime in the context of directed the play. Wished he had of kicked that goal.
I too was at Burpengary when Payne smashed Franklin and having watched all of NEAFL last year, could see he has very good pace and skills. Showed some of that pace and the one hand pick up in the last Q. He looked a bit tired in the dying minutes of the last Q, and is no doubt a power athlete with his discus background. Like a lot of young guys, just needs games to develop, next year I can see him taking the power forwards 1 v 1.
So many good players, Rayner brought the heat and played with great intensity and Ah Chee and Robbo. Seems to me Robbo is swinging back to help out the backline

Back