Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobmonkey

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Interesting final point by Lloyd, would you give up McKay for someone like Kelly?

I'd definitely consider it, and I think GWS would, too, particularly if Cameron keeps playing funny buggers with his contract or indeed does request a trade.
You don't trade one of the two key position players who will anchor your forward line for the next 10 years for a midfielder.
Look at Essendon, Freo, Melbourne, St.Kilda, Carlton (Pre Curnow/McKay), and the trouble they've had finding and retaining forwards, they're hard to get and worth their weight in gold.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
You don't trade one of the two key position players who will anchor your forward line for the next 10 years for a midfielder.
Look at Essendon, Freo, Melbourne, St.Kilda, Carlton (Pre Curnow/McKay), and the trouble they've had finding and retaining forwards, they're hard to get and worth their weight in gold.
I can see that argument for sure and I don't know what my answer would be, I just thought it was an interesting proposal.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Fast forward to 2022... Kelly is out injured again, we're trying to pony up a pair of firsts to get another top shelf key forward, and Fox Sports are writing articles about the trade blunder that saw us break up what could have been an amazing forward combination....

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm going to put it this way; I'd trade someone like Harry for a midfielder like Toby Greene, Patrick Cripps, Marcus Bontempelli, Dustin Martin, so clearly the statement you make here simply isn't always true. The question is, what are the limits? What is the least you're willing to take for a player like Harry or Charlie?

Bobmonkey

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
I'm going to put it this way; I'd trade someone like Harry for a midfielder like Toby Greene, Patrick Cripps, Marcus Bontempelli, Dustin Martin, so clearly the statement you make here simply isn't always true. The question is, what are the limits? What is the least you're willing to take for a player like Harry or Charlie?
And then Charlie misses another year of footy you have no forward line. So you've got a kickass midfield with no-one to kick it to, aka Collingwood, a team who a screaming for a dominant key forward.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
And then Charlie misses another year of footy you have no forward line. So you've got a kickass midfield with no-one to kick it to, aka Collingwood, a team who a screaming for a dominant key forward.
... which isn't what I said.

I'm not saying that we should trade McKay or Curnow, I'm attacking the notion that one cannot.

TD2010

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Fast forward to 2022... Kelly is out injured again, we're trying to pony up a pair of firsts to get another top shelf key forward, and Fox Sports are writing articles about the trade blunder that saw us break up what could have been an amazing forward combination....
Two words: Josh Kennedy

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Judd was the Messiah deal that got us to 6th. Instead we could have kept Kennedy and the picks, build the list.....

That is what we are doing now. Don't sell the farm for a midfielder no matter how good, and keep the spine.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
It's not the same. This time we still have a young generational talent at forward if McKay were to leave.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
It's not the same. This time we still have a young generational talent at forward if McKay were to leave.

It would certainly be possible to make the case that developing and retaining two elite key forwards on the same list would be incredibly difficult. More so when you also have other elite players (or projected as elite) on other lines (Cripps, Walsh, Weitering). At some point, the salary cap pressure gets you and you either need to let someone go, or they walk out on you because you can't offer what they expect.

Keeping both is ideal, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that an actual list manager, with visibility on the full range of player contracts for the next 2-5 years, might believe it prudent to move one of those key forwards on if an incredible offer was put forward. The biggest challenge at that point is identifying which of the two should go.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton

Do we though?

After Harry and Charlie, who else do you see taking both of those key posts?

Levi won't last long and is purely a back up now for anyone down the spine

TDK is a ruck forward, and while I am confident he is a threat forward, who plays that role when he is in the ruck

After that, we have a number of young tall backmen, Weitering, then the likes of Macreadie and Ben, who have shown they are not forwards, let alone coming in to replace Jones in the foreseeable future

I doubt the club would entertain any offers for Harry or Charlie, unless it was massive overs

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Do we though?

After Harry and Charlie, who else do you see taking both of those key posts?

Levi won't last long and is purely a back up now for anyone down the spine

TDK is a ruck forward, and while I am confident he is a threat forward, who plays that role when he is in the ruck

After that, we have a number of young tall backmen, Weitering, then the likes of Macreadie and Ben, who have shown they are not forwards, let alone coming in to replace Jones in the foreseeable future

I doubt the club would entertain any offers for Harry or Charlie, unless it was massive overs
Well we do, because Charlie is still here. We don't have one behind Charlie, though that wasn't the point.

Obviously you'd have to work out which is worth more to our list, a 2nd good tall forward or another good midfielder.

I'm not sure which way I lean right now, but my point though was that it isn't as simple as "remember Judd and Kennedy". It's not exactly the same.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Well we do, because Charlie is still here. We don't have one behind Charlie, though that wasn't the point.

Obviously you'd have to work out which is worth more to our list, a 2nd good tall forward or another good midfielder.

I'm not sure which way I lean right now, but my point though was that it isn't as simple as "remember Judd and Kennedy". It's not exactly the same.

I understand where you are coming from, but I much prefer 2 talented KPF's, rather than 1 and a Levi/Jenkins type 2nd tall.

As for the Judd/Kennedy deal, I wasn't on this board, but I can say that I wasn't happy at the time

You can trade for top end midfielders a lot easier than top end KPF's, using draft picks, rather than players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back