Politics Black Lives Matter

Barrysballs

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wut?

It's the increased police interaction that leads to the higher rates of them being shot. And beaten. And arrested.

Like... unless you're being intentionally obtuse, you see the correlation between [increased interactions with gun toting police officers] and [getting shot by police at a higher rate] right?

Freed from slavery into poverty black Americans were immediately subject to heavy handed policing, by the very same government and people that previously owned them. This led to increased arrests, beatings and shootings which entrenched the poverty they already found themselves in further. Rinse and repeat.

If I increased police interactions with any group of people, I'd find more crimes in that group of people. Busted tail lights; vehicle registration, jay waking, possession of small amounts of drugs. Unlicensed firearms etc etc etc etc Fines would be imposed. Convictions handed out. Those people would then struggle to get jobs based on those convictions. Poverty would increase. These people would hate and distrust the police. People in poverty would turn to crime. My targeted policing would then focus more on these same people due to the perception of an increasing crime rate. More jail sentences, fines and convictions. More poverty and hatred and distrust of the police.

It's a cycle. The more you target a group with policing (the more police interactions a group has) the more negative police interactions (arrests, convictions, beatings and shootings) you get. This doesn't fix the problems, it makes them worse.
The irony being if you reduced police interactions, then it's the most vulnerable in the black community's that would suffer, but at least criminals would die less

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

LFTWNG11

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
S.S. Lazio
There in lies a big question. What is the number of police interactions for social grade?. I'm only assuming but I would lean towards there being no statistical difference between any race.
Would you agree?

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
I am not sure on the statistics either - and to be honest I wouldn't trust statistics provided by the police themselves in any case.

I agree that if you are poor, you are more likely to get picked on by police - but it's worse if you are black and poor.

Cash is King

Quiet Australian
Sep 8, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Does anyone find it ridiculous that regular people without a criminal background are prepared to ruin their lives because because of their hatred of anybody that openly display their support for the orange man?

I’ve just watched a video of two white girls attack a mother and her 7 year old for daring to wear a MAGA hat outside their home.

Those two girls from what I’ve heard were qualified nurses who had everything in front of them but decided to ruin their lives by reacting emotionally rather than logically due to their irrational hatred.

Is any particular leader really worth getting a criminal record over? AT the end of the day whoever is leader has very little influence over your life aside from the odd tweak of taxes.

Cash is King

Quiet Australian
Sep 8, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
And to add further info about those two girls, well the state of Delaware has charged them with hate crimes. I’m pleasantly in shock.

Cash is King

Quiet Australian
Sep 8, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Happens every time someone puts on a MAGA hat.

The mother and kid with the MAGA is not the one that will end up with a record against their name. Can you really imagine getting so worked up and enraged over a hat?
I’m not American nor do I live there but there’s no party anyone could support that would bring out such rage and hatred in me like what we just saw in that video.

The mother and kid with the MAGA is not the one that will end up with a record against their name. Can you really imagine getting so worked up and enraged over a hat?
I’m not American nor do I live there but there’s no party anyone could support that would bring out such rage and hatred in me like what we just saw in that video.
How much do you want to bet that the argument wasn't just about a hat?

Cash is King

Quiet Australian
Sep 8, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
How much do you want to bet that the argument wasn't just about a hat?

I can only go by what’s presented in the video. Based on recent events, that hat seems to generate such rage and hate for some god forsaken reason. No reasonable minded person can defend that.

Punches were thrown by the accused at two individuals (not at the kid). They’ll have records as a result. A lot of people will once the dust settles and all over something as silly as the orange man.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Does anyone find it ridiculous that regular people without a criminal background are prepared to ruin their lives because because of their hatred of anybody that openly display their support for the orange man?

I’ve just watched a video of two white girls attack a mother and her 7 year old for daring to wear a MAGA hat outside their home.

Those two girls from what I’ve heard were qualified nurses who had everything in front of them but decided to ruin their lives by reacting emotionally rather than logically due to their irrational hatred.

Is any particular leader really worth getting a criminal record over? AT the end of the day whoever is leader has very little influence over your life aside from the odd tweak of taxes.

More just a reminder than neither conservatives nor liberals have a monopoly on nutcases, they're everywhere. No more surprising than the the people you see on viral videos displaying pretty obvious hate towards blacks/immigrants/whoever and getting fired and their life turned upside down becasue of it.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton

This is the main stream media's fault, they've indoctrinated so many - as can be seen by the irrationality of some on here.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
This is the main stream media's fault, they've indoctrinated so many - as can be seen by the irrationality of some on here.

Im frankly sick of people dissing the 'MSM'.

This distrust comes from Politicians (and State actors like the Russians) actively seeking to diminish the fourth estate, and undermine the vital role the Media plays in keeping the bastards honest.

As a consequence people are now eschewing editorially supervised and accountable media governed by journalistic integrity and turning to the internet for 'facts'.

All this anti-mask Qanon asshattery is a direct result of that phenomenon. Undermining the 'MSM' increases the division in society, and removes the ability of the fourth estate to do its job.

Like; regardless of anything, and even though I'm a 'liberal'. I'd still trust Fox news over something I read on the internet. I can watch Fox news, and at least know that (while they have a clear conservative bias) at least the news stories they do report on are editorially checked and grounded in fact rather than simply made up bullshit.

I know they're only spinning one side of the story, and have a clear bias to their reporting, but at least they're subject to the same rules on journalist ethics and fact checking as any other 'MSM' site.

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Im frankly sick of people dissing the 'MSM'.

This distrust comes from Politicians (and State actors like the Russians) actively seeking to diminish the fourth estate, and undermine the vital role the Media plays in keeping the bastards honest.

As a consequence people are now eschewing editorially supervised and accountable media governed by journalistic integrity and turning to the internet for 'facts'.

All this anti-mask Qanon asshattery is a direct result of that phenomenon. Undermining the 'MSM' increases the division in society, and removes the ability of the fourth estate to do its job.

Like; regardless of anything, and even though I'm a 'liberal'. I'd still trust Fox news over something I read on the internet. I can watch Fox news, and at least know that (while they have a clear conservative bias) at least the news stories they do report on are editorially checked and grounded in fact rather than simply made up bullshit.

I know they're only spinning one side of the story, and have a clear bias to their reporting, but at least they're subject to the same rules on journalist ethics and fact checking as any other 'MSM' site.
I disagree Mal, I don't believe journalistic integrity exists any more. The MSM is a business, it's in the business of generating avenue, the days of the noble journalist are dead. Every single piece of "news" generated by the MSM is generated to increase their profits which means they speak to what people are afraid of and they generate that fear to ensure people keep coming back. Plain and simple.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I disagree Mal, I don't believe journalistic integrity exists any more. The MSM is a business, it's in the business of generating avenue, the days of the noble journalist are dead. Every single piece of "news" generated by the MSM is generated to increase their profits which means they speak to what people are afraid of and they generate that fear to ensure people keep coming back. Plain and simple.

That's utterly hyperbolic. 'Journalistic integrity doesnt exist anymore' and 'Every single bit of news is generated by Main stream media sources only to increase profits' are hyperbole in its purest form.

MSM stands for Main stream media (as opposed to grifters and internet whackos and 'alternative' media sources). You know, news agencies that are bound to journalistic codes of ethics, editorial review, fact checking, sources, Australian press council etc.

How is that worse than non main stream or alternative media?

If you honestly think what you say you do, you're drinking the Russians (and Trumps) cool aide

Every single piece of "news" generated by the MSM is generated to increase their profits
Why does your average grifter like Isaac Butterfield or Avi Yemeni have Patreon accounts? Put on shows? To make money.

Oct 7, 2003
Lubyanka Square
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Red Devil Sport Club
Why does your average grifter like Isaac Butterfield or Avi Yemeni have Patreon accounts? Put on shows? To make money.
Butterfield is a stand up comedian
So putting on shows and selling merch is his living
So what did he do or say to earn your derision?
Off colour joke the media jumped on?

Back