Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
Hey team,

Have written up what I hope is a fairly insightful piece with the help of my mate at Champion Data, looking at why things have gone so badly since 2018. Incredibly, it looks like Goodwin and Co. decided to abandon the 2018 game plan after three early losses in 2019.

Be kind.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...hree-2019-losses-spooked-simon-goodwin-demons

I enjoyed the article thanks for sharing. For me to buy into your thesis I think the need to believe is: therr is a way for a contested style aide to continue winning games of football once worked out by the opposition (and not just get sucked in all the time)

My gut tells me the league has worked out this style and balance is required

on the other hand perhaps it’s a factor as you state of players being confused,no longer running 2 ways and getting sucked in a great deal

great food for thought

LarryDavidNeitz

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hey team,

Have written up what I hope is a fairly insightful piece with the help of my mate at Champion Data, looking at why things have gone so badly since 2018. Incredibly, it looks like Goodwin and Co. decided to abandon the 2018 game plan after three early losses in 2019.

Be kind.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...hree-2019-losses-spooked-simon-goodwin-demons

Some good points here, particularly around Goodwin going away from our strengths at a certain point.
I don't think there's any doubt Goodwin early in his senior coaching days went chips in on a theory from some stats nerd that if you get over X number of inside 50s you don't lose, and built an entire game plan around that with no consideration that stats like that only apply if you've made some effort to ensure some kind of quality in the inside 50 entries.

The last two seasons is the story of him gradually losing conviction in that theory and randomly trying to plug the worst holes revealed in the previous week's loss. He'd have been better to stick to his theory and focus on teaching the team how to do it better when the opposition is putting up a decent contest.

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Some good points here, particularly around Goodwin going away from our strengths at a certain point.
I don't think there's any doubt Goodwin early in his senior coaching days went chips in on a theory from some stats nerd that if you get over X number of inside 50s you don't lose, and built an entire game plan around that with no consideration that stats like that only apply if you've made some effort to ensure some kind of quality in the inside 50 entries.

The last two seasons is the story of him gradually losing conviction in that theory and randomly trying to plug the worst holes revealed in the previous week's loss. He'd have been better to stick to his theory and focus on teaching the team how to do it better when the opposition is putting up a decent contest.

Agree completely with the bolded. It's all a bit of a puzzle but I'm sure that's spot on.

The weird thing is, it seemed the game plan Roos and Goodwin (initially) built suited the strengths of our players, and now he's trying to mix it up but the players we've recruited and drafted don't suit that style at all.

On a side note, geez Jennings is impressive when he speaks. I know he'd have some sort of axe to grind about being let go by the Dees but he seems to know more about tactics and game plans than the guy in charge of our team!

LarryDavidNeitz

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Agree completely with the bolded. It's all a bit of a puzzle but I'm sure that's spot on.

The weird thing is, it seemed the game plan Roos and Goodwin (initially) built suited the strengths of our players, and now he's trying to mix it up but the players we've recruited and drafted don't suit that style at all.

On a side note, geez Jennings is impressive when he speaks. I know he'd have some sort of axe to grind about being let go by the Dees but he seems to know more about tactics and game plans than the guy in charge of our team!

Agree that Jennings is impressive when speaking about tactics and strategy. Clearly knows his stuff.
On the other hand since he was taking heaps of the credit during 2018 he has to take a share of blame too.

Overall, I just wish we had coaches who would implement a decent game plan and the necessary skills really well rather than seemingly spending 99% of their limited capacity focused on stats and trying to come up with perfect strategies, when most of our team still can't kick or tackle under pressure.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hey team,

Be kind.

Thanks for the article. I appreciate the work that’s gone into it.

I share similar thoughts to Mr Solo in that the 2018 game plan isn’t necessarily the recipe for success. But yeah perhaps deviating from it so drastically and quickly has caused confusion and the subsequent lack of resilience and structure since. I also wonder if some of it was by default rather than design because of the dramatic drop off in our KPFs?

Anyway, it’s a great article. Much better analysis than the absolute rot churned out by the mainstream footy media. Keep em coming!

Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
vandenberg is a bit unlucky, his hardness is the only reason he gets a game because other than that he lacks in almost all areas

A bit like Ron Jemery
I think it in the last 20 years Ron was big but not that hard. Maybe that’s why he turned to sexual assault - more arousing.

Disgusting individual

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I think it in the last 20 years Ron was big but not that hard. Maybe that’s why he turned to sexual assault - more arousing.

Disgusting individual
Have a fiance in Oregon and I've spent a lot of time in LA, especially at the Rainbow Bar & Grill. Literally everytime i was there, he was there. Always on the prowl. Spoke to him a couple of times and he was nice enough but each time he'd turn the conversation to sex and in particular females who were at the bar. He'd always end up with a bird by the end of the night, he got off on the celebrity status and the notoriety of his career. A sleazy predator. Not surprised in the slightest he was up on charges. Most likely been doing it for decades..

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I'm so over the modern coaches' standard catchphrase after a loss. "It's not acceptable". What a bland, unmotivating description. Goodwin has wheeled that one out for almost every loss, and if I hear him say "we're working incredibly hard..." one more time, I'm going to throw up. Programmatic people like that don't make good coaches - they lack spark, creativity and plain old cleverness. There's no evidence of working particularly hard on anything specific - certainly not incredibly hard. Nothing's changing. He is more hoping it will turn around than doing anything to solve fundamental problems.
Agree. My biggest gripe is the references over the years from Goody, then parroted by any random player in red and blue, about delivering our ”brand” that the fans apparently identify with.

They are delivering our “brand” with amazing consistency as far as I’m concerned. Our brand is beating up on lower, out-of-form teams for a couple of weeks then going between falling short in important games to delivering deeply embarrassing shitshows with literally no sign of a coaching plan or structure. I have no problem identifying the Demons brand, it’s remarkably consistent. I want to see some sign, however fleeting, that we’re attempting to move away from it

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
out of curiosity what is he supposed to say in a media conference?

Is it beneficial to say we have a lot of dumb footballers? (which is clearly evident)

Or would it be better that he say we have a lot of players that aren't up to AFL standard?

Serious question.
We are not hard enough and we are not showing enough of a desire to play finals. I take responsibility for that but I’d like our players to accept on match day that they also need to shoulder part of that load.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne

Spot on, Larry.

It’s basically football by numbers. Win ball at the source, move it forward quickly and lock it forward until we score is a sound theory.

However, our method to executing this is to commit extra numbers to stoppages to rush at the contest. To lock it in the forward line we crowd our forward 50 with the desperation of a soccer team needing a last minute goal. I always thought that flooding our own forward line was a rather strange way to do this.

Agree. My biggest gripe is the references over the years from Goody, then parroted by any random player in red and blue, about delivering our ”brand” that the fans apparently identify with.

They are delivering our “brand” with amazing consistency as far as I’m concerned. Our brand is beating up on lower, out-of-form teams for a couple of weeks then going between falling short in important games to delivering deeply embarrassing shitshows with literally no sign of a coaching plan or structure. I have no problem identifying the Demons brand, it’s remarkably consistent. I want to see some sign, however fleeting, that we’re attempting to move away from it
These things tend to be more annoying in conjunction with underperformance. If we were playing structured football and convincingly gubbing opposition teams week after week, he could answer every question with “zero, one, zero, one”, fold his arms and say “end communication”, and we’d all think he was a ******* genius.

The Dr good article mate. Would love if you could get a one on one interview with Jennings to just specially talk about the club. Perhaps even try and get a few bits of info out of him about his relationship with Goody in the coaches box and why it went wrong, would be very interesting to read or hear.

(I know the quotes you used were from SEN but as a media member perhaps you could try , just for board interest if possible?)

As for the play on stuff, yep, 100% noticed the shift myself. But at the start of this year it was almost as if we tried to go back to it. But the midfield and forward line was so dysfunctional that we gave it away again after round 5 or 6. It's a yoyo game plan. There is no particular brand whatsoever. Wonder if the data says the same about 2020?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
The other thing is the meta game has shifted away from contested ball. Richmond pioneered a manic pressure game, force the turnover then move the ball with deadly speed. They often lose most "classic" statistical categories within a game that originally meant something.

The other game is WC's kick/mark gamestyle which Geelong are kind of playing at the moment too, both having dominant key forwards ahead of the ball you can kick to with confidence (kennedy/darling v hawkins). Geelong very happy to possess the ball and move it methodically with short kicks through a zone.

We are still playing WBD 2016 era swamp the contest with players and surge forward. They have also largely struggled since 2016 despite having a great midfield (sound similar?). The game style is out of vogue and has been worked out - this year I've definitely seen an emphasis on sweeping handballs into space to get the ball out of the "bubble" of pressure. The other thing is the game style is very taxing and when you're not getting reward for effort you can easily lose that manic attack on ball/player, which leads to dropped heads. There's nothing more shambolic than this contested style that is done half heartedly. The pressure isn't there, players get sucked in, the ball pings out and they're off. This is what our losses largely look like.

The insane thing is that with a contested ball player as good as Oliver, you could play 2 running players in the centre bounce and just instruct Oliver to get the damn ball and flick it out. Instead, you have Oliver bumping into Viney who then gathers and sees Trac or Brayshaw only 2 metres away. Dumb. They're instructed to do this though, as we reckon as long as we crush the contest with tough players we will find a way to move it forward and kick goals. The one positive thing is that the style does hold up in finals largely as finals intensity is through the roof and the players can get razzed up for it. Remember when Viney landed like 10 tackles in the first half against Geelong in that final? That's how it works.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
The other thing is the meta game has shifted away from contested ball. Richmond pioneered a manic pressure game, force the turnover then move the ball with deadly speed. They often lose most "classic" statistical categories within a game that originally meant something.

The other game is WC's kick/mark gamestyle which Geelong are kind of playing at the moment too, both having dominant key forwards ahead of the ball you can kick to with confidence (kennedy/darling v hawkins). Geelong very happy to possess the ball and move it methodically with short kicks through a zone.

We are still playing WBD 2016 era swamp the contest with players and surge forward. They have also largely struggled since 2016 despite having a great midfield (sound similar?). The game style is out of vogue and has been worked out - this year I've definitely seen an emphasis on sweeping handballs into space to get the ball out of the "bubble" of pressure. The other thing is the game style is very taxing and when you're not getting reward for effort you can easily lose that manic attack on ball/player, which leads to dropped heads. There's nothing more shambolic than this contested style that is done half heartedly. The pressure isn't there, players get sucked in, the ball pings out and they're off. This is what our losses largely look like.

The insane thing is that with a contested ball player as good as Oliver, you could play 2 running players in the centre bounce and just instruct Oliver to get the damn ball and flick it out. Instead, you have Oliver bumping into Viney who then gathers and sees Trac or Brayshaw only 2 metres away. Dumb. They're instructed to do this though, as we reckon as long as we crush the contest with tough players we will find a way to move it forward and kick goals. The one positive thing is that the style does hold up in finals largely as finals intensity is through the roof and the players can get razzed up for it. Remember when Viney landed like 10 tackles in the first half against Geelong in that final? That's how it works.
Probably the best and most insightful post thus far.

Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Spot on, Larry.

It’s basically football by numbers. Win ball at the source, move it forward quickly and lock it forward until we score is a sound theory.

However, our method to executing this is to commit extra numbers to stoppages to rush at the contest. To lock it in the forward line we crowd our forward 50 with the desperation of a soccer team needing a last minute goal. I always thought that flooding our own forward line was a rather strange way to do this.

These things tend to be more annoying in conjunction with underperformance. If we were playing structured football and convincingly gubbing opposition teams week after week, he could answer every question with “zero, one, zero, one”, fold his arms and say “end communication”, and we’d all think he was a ******* genius.
This year Port plays a lot like us in 2018 i reckon. Tons of time in forward half, repeat entries, backs set up well and take lots of intercept marks. They are doing it better as they don't get goals out the back as often.

Perhaps we should of stuck with this style. With the team extra fit, the core more mature and willing to run 2 ways, plus May and Lever setting up the defence high it could of worked. I think ultimately Port will get picked apart by a Team like Geelong or Richmond though.

We are definitely playing a poor hybrid of pressure and safeness which is still sucking in players to the contest, resulting in way less tackling pressure and resulting in really stagnant ball movement. No one bar Langdon will lead to get a short pass, yet the way we play it is needed. Watch Geelong and their whole team moves without the ball to allow a few chips and then makes space in the corridor.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne

This year Port plays a lot like us in 2018 i reckon. Tons of time in forward half, repeat entries, backs set up well and take lots of intercept marks. They are doing it better as they don't get goals out the back as often.

Perhaps we should of stuck with this style. With the team extra fit, the core more mature and willing to run 2 ways, plus May and Lever setting up the defence high it could of worked. I think ultimately Port will get picked apart by a Team like Geelong or Richmond though.

We are definitely playing a poor hybrid of pressure and safeness which is still sucking in players to the contest, resulting in way less tackling pressure and resulting in really stagnant ball movement. No one bar Langdon will lead to get a short pass, yet the way we play it is needed. Watch Geelong and their whole team moves without the ball to allow a few chips and then makes space in the corridor.
I think the issue is that you are both pointing out is that even when we were playing ‘well’, the game style we play is mentally and physically fatiguing.

I don’t know if getting physically smashed at the coal face and then trying to virtually play a full court press at grounds the size of the G was ever going to be sustainable. On reflection, it was there for all to see in Goodwin’s second game against Carlton. I remember us doing well out of the stoppages, getting it inside 50, we weren’t bad at locking it in but as more and more numbers clogged our forward line we would struggle to score. Further, Carlton would nick goals out the back. Eventually our talent won out but 80-60 and being taken deep by a bunch of well-organised hacks was an early indicator of inefficiency.

We’ve all felt the frustration in the stands of the side seemingly dominating territory yet yielding few results on the scoreboard. I imagine it would be incredibly frustrating and mentally draining to play that way. That isn’t to excuse the players for the times they are flat, don’t chase or tackle etc but holistically question the approach that Goodwin has taken. I.e. instead of swarming the contest, be organised and have set plays to ensure all of our mids aren’t smashing into each other. If we want to lock it in our forward line how about schooling the forwards on tackling technique and pressure while simultaneously building an effective wall outside the 50 without over committing huge numbers forward, flooding our own forward 50?

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think the issue is that you are both pointing out is that even when we were playing ‘well’, the game style we play is mentally and physically fatiguing.

I don’t know if getting physically smashed at the coal face and then trying to virtually play a full court press at grounds the size of the G was ever going to be sustainable. On reflection, it was there for all to see in Goodwin’s second game against Carlton. I remember us doing well out of the stoppages, getting it inside 50, we weren’t bad at locking it in but as more and more numbers clogged our forward line we would struggle to score. Further, Carlton would nick goals out the back. Eventually our talent won out but 80-60 and being taken deep by a bunch of well-organised hacks was an early indicator of inefficiency.

We’ve all felt the frustration in the stands of the side seemingly dominating territory yet yielding few results on the scoreboard. I imagine it would be incredibly frustrating and mentally draining to play that way. That isn’t to excuse the players for the times they are flat, don’t chase or tackle etc but holistically question the approach that Goodwin has taken. I.e. instead of swarming the contest, be organised and have set plays to ensure all of our mids aren’t smashing into each other. If we want to lock it in our forward line how about schooling the forwards on tackling technique and pressure while simultaneously building an effective wall outside the 50 without over committing huge numbers forward, flooding our own forward 50?

Yep, it's very taxing. That's why we could only really get it going for a month in late 2018 and then fell in a heap against the Premiers on their home deck.

You can pretty much always see if a Melbourne team under Goodwin is "on" or not in the first quarter. We absolutely have to have that pressure game going and if we don't we rarely switch it on after half time. Probably a combination of fresh legs, mindset and a bit of a spark on gameday from a handful of individual acts. But you can't rely on having it every week because it's an intangible and in an even competition the other side will most likely have that edge over you at least some of the time. That's why I always want our players to start a fight/play on the edge in the big games, because it gets our contest work going and a few of our players really thrive in that environment (Harmes, Viney, AVB, Nev).

The thing is the good sides eek out wins when they're a bit off. They can win with structure, individual brilliance or through "grinding it out" with sustained effort even if the spark isn't there. We don't because we dont have other strings to our bow. Trac turning into an elite, game turning player has helped us this year and probably bought us a few wins. When you have 20 more inside 50s and lose a game of footy (and then do that 5-10 times a year) of course you're going to start doubting yourself and the system because it's not wielding results. When the belief drops away the system becomes exponentially worse and the spiral begins (2019). The system is also harder to implement on grounds like the MCG given the size and need to defend more ground.

The positives are the defence has looked much better this year, especially the talls. If we can get Lockhart/Rivers/Salem/Hibberd working well as a defensive unit of smalls I think we have the makings of an excellent defense, as the right mix is there. Need to settle on our best 6 forwards and largely let them play together to build chemistry. Having a merry go round of players on the half forward line is a nightmare. It's the graveyard for our team, as the ball is often kicked over their heads or poorly inside 50 not allowing our smalls to get to the drop of the ball. Our lack of ground balls won inside 50 for the sheer amount of inside 50s we get is staggering.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yep, it's very taxing. That's why we could only really get it going for a month in late 2018 and then fell in a heap against the Premiers on their home deck.

You can pretty much always see if a Melbourne team under Goodwin is "on" or not in the first quarter. We absolutely have to have that pressure game going and if we don't we rarely switch it on after half time. Probably a combination of fresh legs, mindset and a bit of a spark on gameday from a handful of individual acts. But you can't rely on having it every week because it's an intangible and in an even competition the other side will most likely have that edge over you at least some of the time. That's why I always want our players to start a fight/play on the edge in the big games, because it gets our contest work going and a few of our players really thrive in that environment (Harmes, Viney, AVB, Nev).

The thing is the good sides eek out wins when they're a bit off. They can win with structure, individual brilliance or through "grinding it out" with sustained effort even if the spark isn't there. We don't because we dont have other strings to our bow. Trac turning into an elite, game turning player has helped us this year and probably bought us a few wins. When you have 20 more inside 50s and lose a game of footy (and then do that 5-10 times a year) of course you're going to start doubting yourself and the system because it's not wielding results. When the belief drops away the system becomes exponentially worse and the spiral begins (2019). The system is also harder to implement on grounds like the MCG given the size and need to defend more ground.

The positives are the defence has looked much better this year, especially the talls. If we can get Lockhart/Rivers/Salem/Hibberd working well as a defensive unit of smalls I think we have the makings of an excellent defense, as the right mix is there. Need to settle on our best 6 forwards and largely let them play together to build chemistry. Having a merry go round of players on the half forward line is a nightmare. It's the graveyard for our team, as the ball is often kicked over their heads or poorly inside 50 not allowing our smalls to get to the drop of the ball. Our lack of ground balls won inside 50 for the sheer amount of inside 50s we get is staggering.
Game sense is also where we seem to lack. As you’ve pointed out, there are going to be those s**t days or times in the game when the opposition get on top. The approach from us has often been ‘dig up’. I think everybody on here has their own interpretation of plan b but surely when the opposition gets on top you need to have a set of tactics that can suck a bit of the air out of the game, turn it into a shitfight and wrest back a bit of momentum. Whether that’s man on man, an extra behind the ball, a defensive approach to stoppages or getting the ball in our hands and knocking it around a bit with a kick-mark style. I think we really need to go to school on this stuff in the off-season.

Be it team or individual sport you need to have good defensive mechanisms and game sense. You need to be able to grind it out. Sometimes it’s like if we were a boxer wearing a couple instead of putting our arms up, we try to throw haymakers to get ourselves back into it. If we were a cricket team or batsman and the bowlers were on top, our solution is to try and whack a six rather than absorb the pressure, leave a couple and look to get off strike etc.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
That's why I want to get a Lewis type deal going with another team's decorated veteran with Jones and Nev falling off a cliff.

We need an experienced player with an actual footy head on his shoulders. Lewis' body was cooked but I really think he added a lot to our footy club in the short period of time he was here. Brisbane getting Hodge and now Birchall (who looks to be going around again) has been a huge get for them with their young guns. Sure, they lose a few contests to younger, fitter players but I think they add a lot. I think this is why we really struggled last year especially with the runners being taken out of the game. The players spoke to this in interviews. We lack organisation that the runners often gave. We need a wily, experienced player with good game sense to pull our young guys into line. A player that when they speak on field, people listen.

Our leaders have their strengths and weaknesses but not many of them strike me as this type. Lever potentially but I think he's focusing on his own struggles with form and the weight of his contract. May but he's sitting at FB. We need someone in the guts to do this.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Brand:
Soft as delicious ben and jerry peanut butter and cookie ice cream that's been on the pavement of a 36 degree summer's day for an hour. Mentally piss-weak, no ******* heart at all.
Look like a rolls royce when playing a bottom 4 team but we're a datsun 1080b that's sideways in the gutter when we're not.
Opposition kicks three goals in a quarter, too hard to do anything about it we'll just wait until the break and hope something changes.
Start trying when the games over, sometimes.
Give up 40 point leads to s**t teams, win by a point, round of interviews saying we're ******* top s**t and we're happy with the win because winning is hard so give credit to "The Boys" they're working (incredibly) hard and there's still plenty of learnings to learn and they're working (incredibly) hard to learn all of the learnings incredibly.
3 games to play, finals not out of the equation, getting thumped by a s**t team, someone find Steven May, and put him in the forward line FFS! Hurry!!!
Coach is a ******* gimp.

Brand:
Soft as delicious ben and jerry peanut butter and cookie ice cream that's been on the pavement of a 36 degree summer's day for an hour. Mentally piss-weak, no ******* heart at all.
Look like a rolls royce when playing a bottom 4 team but we're a datsun 1080b that's sideways in the gutter when we're not.
Opposition kicks three goals in a quarter, too hard to do anything about it we'll just wait until the break and hope something changes.
Start trying when the games over, sometimes.
Give up 40 point leads to sh*t teams, win by a point, round of interviews saying we're ******* top sh*t and we're happy with the win because winning is hard so give credit to "The Boys" they're working (incredibly) hard and there's still plenty of learnings to learn and they're working (incredibly) hard to learn all of the learnings incredibly.
3 games to play, finals not out of the equation, getting thumped by a sh*t team, someone find Steven May, and put him in the forward line FFS! Hurry!!!
Coach is a ******* gimp.
I remember after the Hawks dicked us by 10 goals in 2012 Lewis was interviewed post game and had the shits at how crap they'd played and that a decent side would've worried them. Need that attitude from our s**t kickers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back