Footy Developments in NSW and Queensland

Remove this Banner Ad

Morton Bay has population of about 500k bigger than both Ipswich & Logan. Pays to know about world outside Melbourne

Pays to have a clue

Morton Bay is not Redcliffe. A decent portion of the population of Moreton Bay Region can get to Brisbane quicker than Redcliffe.

This is the problem the NRL has. The only regions that could get traction are too small. The bigger regions like Ipswich and Logan are presumably the most wedded to the Broncos
It's less that they're in thrall to the Broncos and more that that they're both relatively poor areas, don't have major corporations for financial backing and don't have viable stadia. Also both areas have better transport links to Brisbane than they do within their own council areas. That's why this absurd "Western Corridor" idea is considered the only vehicle for either of them to get a team, because it's only when combined they might have the financial power to support one. The problem is, there is no "Western Corridor" in reality. They're separated by a huge military camp, and the only major transport connection is a toll road that goes via Brisbane.

Redcliffe on the other hand has a lot of wealthy retirees and is a pretty self-contained community, plus the Dolphins are quite well off as far as state league clubs go, with a good enough stadium. The clear frontrunner in Brisbane itself is a bid backed by Easts, who are also well off and have a stadium with good transport connections.

You can't play rugby or soccer on those fields?? That's what they'll be used for most
They won't be playing soccer or league on these fields. Non AF grass roots numbers are not expanding and they already have plenty of pitches for the declining numbers.

It's less that they're in thrall to the Broncos and more that that they're both relatively poor areas, don't have major corporations for financial backing and don't have viable stadia. Also both areas have better transport links to Brisbane than they do within their own council areas. That's why this absurd "Western Corridor" idea is considered the only vehicle for either of them to get a team, because it's only when combined they might have the financial power to support one. The problem is, there is no "Western Corridor" in reality. They're separated by a huge military camp, and the only major transport connection is a toll road that goes via Brisbane.

Redcliffe on the other hand has a lot of wealthy retirees and is a pretty self-contained community, plus the Dolphins are quite well off as far as state league clubs go, with a good enough stadium. The clear frontrunner in Brisbane itself is a bid backed by Easts, who are also well off and have a stadium with good transport connections.

Take your word on the "Western Corridor" mechanics. I would be assuming that any team would be playing at Suncorp and it is more an exercise in branding

Not familiar with the Easts bid....but I would have thought a self contained community of 60K is probably not a strong base for a team in a major sporting competition?

They won't be playing soccer or league on these fields. Non AF grass roots numbers are not expanding and they already have plenty of pitches for the declining numbers.
Soccer is declining?? Cricket in summer & shared during winter - simple

Stadia can be built & any area in Brisbane will strongly support an NRL team. I've no doubt Ipswich will have a team before too long.

Take your word on the "Western Corridor" mechanics. I would be assuming that any team would be playing at Suncorp and it is more an exercise in branding
If Easts' bid gets up, they probably will. I believe the Western Corridor people want to build a stadium in Springfield though, which is where the Brisbane Lions are putting their new training ground.

Not familiar with the Easts bid....but I would have thought a self contained community of 60K is probably not a strong base for a team in a major sporting competition?
You'd think they'd have difficulty competing with the big boys. Both Redcliffe and Easts have plenty of cash from pokies though, and Sydney teams are somehow viable with crowds around 12k each week.

There's a big difference between the AFL and NRL expansion.

NRL are looking to further expand into "heartland" areas. They already have the Brisbane market - introducing a second team there might increase some support but it won't be a drastic uplift. For them to ultimately grow Australia-wide they would need to expand into Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne 2 (equivalent of Gold Coast and GWS).

The AFL are throwing a ton of money at NSW and QLD - it's riskier but the amount that can be gained is astronomically more than what the NRL are doing. The AFL introducing Tasmania would be the equivalent of NRL Brisbane 2 (solidifying an already established market).

Living in Sydney these days, I could see the AFL leveling the playing field in a few generations time. GWS has an absurd amount of kids at their games - if they start converting into lifelong members then watch out. AFLs membership culture has a massive advantage here.

NRL are looking to further expand into "heartland" areas. They already have the Brisbane market - introducing a second team there might increase some support but it won't be a drastic uplift. For them to ultimately grow Australia-wide they would need to expand into Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne 2 (equivalent of Gold Coast and GWS).

The AFL are throwing a ton of money at NSW and QLD - it's riskier but the amount that can be gained is astronomically more than what the NRL are doing. The AFL introducing Tasmania would be the equivalent of NRL Brisbane 2 (solidifying an already established market).

Living in Sydney these days, I could see the AFL leveling the playing field in a few generations time. GWS has an absurd amount of kids at their games - if they start converting into lifelong members then watch out. AFLs membership culture has a massive advantage here.
NRL is no.1 code in part of country with over 50% of population. This area is growing faster than anywhere else. Afl needs to throw money at these areas otherwise it risks being stuck being regional game in not even half of a small country. Interesting only ppl who believe game is growing are fans here. See what swans chairman says.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NRL is no.1 code in part of country with over 50% of population. This area is growing faster than anywhere else. Afl needs to throw money at these areas otherwise it risks being stuck being regional game in not even half of a small country. Interesting only ppl who believe game is growing are fans here. See what swans chairman says.

Interesting one of the only people who doesn’t is a Wanderers troll.

AFL are not throwing money away in QLD and NSW, they recoup most of the money from the broadcast rights.

AFL are not throwing money away in QLD and NSW, they recoup most of the money from the broadcast rights.

He said "throwing money at"....maybe lose choice of words but I suspect you largely agree with each other

The AFL is actually expanding is the difference

The other key elements of it are:
-the AFL already has the clubs it needs established... in addition to the other two traditional cities, the AFL has 2 clubs each in the two metropolises in the non-traditional areas now 39 (in Sydney), 34, 10 and 9 seasons old.
-the AFL has the structure where it can continue to pump money into those areas in perpetuity

The NRL is still talking about putting a second team in Brisbane. Just a quick google search suggests that there is hardly consensus on how this should occur. The QRL (are they based in Melbourne or do they have some clue about the terrain for league in Brisbane)

“Hatcher believes if rugby league wants an extra side in Brisbane it should make the more cost-friendly choice of relocating a cash-strapped Sydney team, a move V’landys has never been in favour of.

I am yet to be convinced a brand new team would create enough revenue to support it,’’ Hatcher told News Corp.

I am an advocate of moving at least one of the Sydney teams. Financially the obvious ones are Cronulla and Manly and finances are the first thing you look at.

“You start anything from scratch and there is a hell of a lot of expense in trying to get it up. You are a mile in front if you already have a team.

“That gives you a bigger opportunity because it straddles two decent markets and you are using the available talent to maintain a strong competition.

“I would need to be fully convinced that a new team is going to be financially viable for the game.

All the NRL clubs got a 30% increase in funding and 12 of them have managed to lose 36 million so if you can tell me that is a sensible direction I can’t see it.’’

Last edited:
He said "throwing money at"....maybe lose choice of words but I suspect you largely agree with each other

The AFL is actually expanding is the difference

The other key elements of it are:
-the AFL already has the clubs it needs established in addition to the two traditional cities, the AFL has 2 clubs each in the two metropolises in the non-traditional areas now 39 (in Sydney), 34, 10 and 9 seasons old.
-the AFL has the structure where it can continue to pump money into those areas in perpetuity

The NRL is still talking about putting a second team in Brisbane. Just a quick google search suggests that there is hardly consensus on how this should occur. The QRL (are they based in Melbourne or do they have some clue about the terrain for league in Brisbane)

Agree, probably arguing over semantics.

This is the total distribution (in millions) of funding since 2005.

St Kilda 192.9
Western B 191.8
Brisbane 182.4
Nth Melbourne 179.9
Melbourne 172.5
Carlton 159.3
Port 157.0
Sydney 155.3
Richmond 154.8
Essendon 153.2
Collingwood 153.2
GWS 146.5
Hawthorn 146.3
Geelong 145.3
Gold Coast 142.4
Fremantle 136.5
Adelaide 135.9
West Coast 134.5

This is the total distribution (in millions) of funding since 2005.

St Kilda 192.9
Western B 191.8
Brisbane 182.4
Nth Melbourne 179.9
Melbourne 172.5
Carlton 159.3
Port 157.0
Sydney 155.3
Richmond 154.8
Essendon 153.2
Collingwood 153.2
GWS 146.5
Hawthorn 146.3
Geelong 145.3
Gold Coast 142.4
Fremantle 136.5
Adelaide 135.9
West Coast 134.5
I see what you doing - since 2005, ha

Dumb argument - could've put team anywhere as tv payed for more games.
Has game grown it's TV audience since then? Certainly not Sydney. Brisbane this year is up from small base but if lions start to tank then...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back