News 2020 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were injured, Swans were a dirty side then and Hall was also a dirty player
The AFL utterly failed in this. If the umpires saw it, the Swans would've been denied the goal Hall kicked while Goose lay winded on the ground. If the tribunal did their job, Hall wouldn't have played in the Grand Final. The two branches that were supposed to enforce the laws of the game cost St Kilda a potential premiership and gifted one to a thug instead.

Will never forgive Hall.

I was there, it was an absolute joke. If anyone can post the article, that would be much appreciated. So he really thinks we were resting players in a Prelim? Methinks one too many heavyweight bouts for the thug.
Sacked podcast: Barry Hall reveals reason for punching Matt Maguire during 2005 preliminary final
When Barry Hall inexplicably punched St Kilda’s Matt Maguire off the ball during the 2005 preliminary final, he nearly cost himself a Grand Final spot. He reveals why he did it and the underlying issues behind his aggression.

Barry Hall has for the first time revealed the dramatic backdrop to the Matt Maguire punch that nearly cost him the 2005 premiership, saying he was determined to make a physical stand at St Kilda’s perceived arrogance.
AFL Hall of Famer Hall admits he should have missed the premiership, telling the Herald Sun’s Sacked podcast the punch was off the ball and should have seen him suspended.

Hall now understands many of his anger issues were related to his childhood, having finally spent time working on his underlying rage when he was sacked by Sydney and moved to the Western Bulldogs.

But he says in the lead-in to the preliminary final against St Kilda as a co-captain he believed his old side was rolling the dice not playing partially injured stars including Aaron Hamill and Justin Koschitzke.

St Kilda had to fend off speculation Hamill (calf) and Koschitzke (quad) were being rested after they were spotted participating in a secret training run at Brighton Park leading into the game.

Hall says he knew straight after hitting Maguire in the off-the-ball incident he was in trouble but Sydney was able to downgrade the incident to “in play” at a midweek tribunal hearing.

“Pretty much straight away (I knew what I had done),” he said.

“It was one of those brain farts that just happened, the backstory to that, I think St Kilda – and we are sure if it was true or not – were resting Hamill, (Koschitzke) at that stage, I think they rested them, thinking they were going to knock us over and make the Grand Final.

“We got wind of that and I used that. Before we jumped on the bus to go to the ground, I called in all the players and I used that …

“(I said) ‘these blokes think they have written their Grand Final ticket and they are going straight in, we should be insulted, this is bulls---, we are not going to accept this’.

“I was that fired up about it, whether it was true or not is irrelevant. I was that fired up and everyone else was, that we were out and had a good crack at them.

“That was bubbling over … the excitement. It was a silly thing to do (to Maguire), it almost cost me a Grand Final and probably should have.

“I wanted to stamp my authority on the game and that action doesn’t do that, but I was in that zone. I had preached what we were going to do before the game and now I was showing them what I was going to do. I kicked a goal and went straight to Maxy Hudghton and we had a bit of a go.”

Hall said the club considered whether to launch a Supreme Court injunction that might have pushed his tribunal case back until after the Grand Final.

Instead it decided to launch a tribunal bid to downgrade his suspension even though he was well aware the punch was worthy of him missing the Grand Final.

“If you go off the rules, absolutely. There is in play and out of play and I was 50 metres away … we were running back towards goal so it was probably out of play.”

He says the moment he was cleared by the tribunal he was instantly relieved so he could play but also remove the distraction for teammates leading into the Grand Final.

“We went into the back room and it was all smiles, we fronted the media. It was actually quite an enjoyable experience to be perfectly honest. We got the No.1 ticket holder of the swans who got me a private jet down there.

“We were on a private jet eating caviar and prawns on the flight. We go to the tribunal, we get off, we go out the back and do a quick thing for the media, we get in a limo and go out to Essendon Airport and back on the jet and home. It was a fantastic night, probably should have done it every week but it would have been expensive.”

Sacked podcast: Barry Hall reveals reason for punching Matt Maguire during 2005 preliminary final
When Barry Hall inexplicably punched St Kilda’s Matt Maguire off the ball during the 2005 preliminary final, he nearly cost himself a Grand Final spot. He reveals why he did it and the underlying issues behind his aggression.

Barry Hall has for the first time revealed the dramatic backdrop to the Matt Maguire punch that nearly cost him the 2005 premiership, saying he was determined to make a physical stand at St Kilda’s perceived arrogance.
AFL Hall of Famer Hall admits he should have missed the premiership, telling the Herald Sun’s Sacked podcast the punch was off the ball and should have seen him suspended.

Hall now understands many of his anger issues were related to his childhood, having finally spent time working on his underlying rage when he was sacked by Sydney and moved to the Western Bulldogs.

But he says in the lead-in to the preliminary final against St Kilda as a co-captain he believed his old side was rolling the dice not playing partially injured stars including Aaron Hamill and Justin Koschitzke.

St Kilda had to fend off speculation Hamill (calf) and Koschitzke (quad) were being rested after they were spotted participating in a secret training run at Brighton Park leading into the game.

Hall says he knew straight after hitting Maguire in the off-the-ball incident he was in trouble but Sydney was able to downgrade the incident to “in play” at a midweek tribunal hearing.

“It was one of those brain farts that just happened, the backstory to that, I think St Kilda – and we are sure if it was true or not – were resting Hamill, (Koschitzke) at that stage, I think they rested them, thinking they were going to knock us over and make the Grand Final.

“We got wind of that and I used that. Before we jumped on the bus to go to the ground, I called in all the players and I used that …

“(I said) ‘these blokes think they have written their Grand Final ticket and they are going straight in, we should be insulted, this is bulls---, we are not going to accept this’.

“I was that fired up about it, whether it was true or not is irrelevant. I was that fired up and everyone else was, that we were out and had a good crack at them.

“That was bubbling over … the excitement. It was a silly thing to do (to Maguire), it almost cost me a Grand Final and probably should have.

“I wanted to stamp my authority on the game and that action doesn’t do that, but I was in that zone. I had preached what we were going to do before the game and now I was showing them what I was going to do. I kicked a goal and went straight to Maxy Hudghton and we had a bit of a go.”

Hall said the club considered whether to launch a Supreme Court injunction that might have pushed his tribunal case back until after the Grand Final.

Instead it decided to launch a tribunal bid to downgrade his suspension even though he was well aware the punch was worthy of him missing the Grand Final.

“If you go off the rules, absolutely. There is in play and out of play and I was 50 metres away … we were running back towards goal so it was probably out of play.”

He says the moment he was cleared by the tribunal he was instantly relieved so he could play but also remove the distraction for teammates leading into the Grand Final.

“We went into the back room and it was all smiles, we fronted the media. It was actually quite an enjoyable experience to be perfectly honest. We got the No.1 ticket holder of the swans who got me a private jet down there.

“We were on a private jet eating caviar and prawns on the flight. We go to the tribunal, we get off, we go out the back and do a quick thing for the media, we get in a limo and go out to Essendon Airport and back on the jet and home. It was a fantastic night, probably should have done it every week but it would have been expensive.”
So his reasoning for coward punching Maguire was because he thought we were resting Kosi and Hamill? So he was fired up?

what a ******* w***er!

The AFL utterly failed in this. If the umpires saw it, the Swans would've been denied the goal Hall kicked while Goose lay winded on the ground. If the tribunal did their job, Hall wouldn't have played in the Grand Final. The two branches that were supposed to enforce the laws of the game cost St Kilda a potential premiership and gifted one to a thug instead.

Will never forgive Hall.
Dimetriou covered for that Swans side, Hall was a dirty campaigner, Goodes was a snide dirty campaigner, Roos was responsible for the most dull football in the league, Kirk was grubby, Micky O did suss things of the field.

Sydney is my most hated club after carlton.

Wow, talk about “victim blaming.”

So it was all our fault because we apparently “rested payers” and he was so insulted about it that it made him do something so thuggish.🙄
(they made me do it, your Honour.)
As an excuse, it doesn’t get any dumber than that.

Wow, talk about “victim blaming.”

So it was all our fault because we apparently “rested payers” and he was so insulted about it that it made him do something so thuggish.🙄
(they made me do it, your Honour.)
As an excuse, it doesn’t get any dumber than that.
Sound about on par for Barry Hall

This is a pretty good example of "blame it on the tequila" story. One night in town, I saw Barry Hall. I was at Crown in one of the bars. I was walking to the bar to get a drink, as I went past three guys talking I noticed that one of them was Barry Hall. Anyway, I get to the bar, I ordered a drink and a tequila shot. I downed my shot, picked up my drink, and started walking back to my friends. I had to walk past Barry Hall again, when I got to him I stop and look at him. I point to my cheek and tell him to punch me. I will never forget his eyes, that man wanted to kill me.

So I am like s**t, time to bail. My friend has no idea about football, she asks why was that guy was so angry? I explained the situation to her and that I pretty much just cheated death. At the time it was funny because I was drunk, but reflecting on the situation. I do feel bad, because that incident has probably caused him a lot of pain. But that night i learned why he had the nickname "Big Bad Bazza". He is one big boy!

He also didn't care after we lost 97. His words.
Lets put it into some perspective, he was 20 years old and thought it would come around again the year after. Actually many of our younger players thought that at the time. Aussie Jones & Matty Lappin notably.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't help that it's a misleading, click-bait headline. He doesn't actually offer any justification for hitting Goose, he wasn't provoked or retaliating, he openly admits it was a brain fade. That the Swans had the arrogance to threaten Supreme Court action to let him get away with it, which probably lead to the most absurd "in play" classification in tribunal history, speaks volumes of the corruption, cowardice and stupidity at play.

a3b995c0-f222-11ea-a3de-692d5982216c-Screen-Shot-2020-09-09-at-8.28.32-am.png

This version of the graph adds in the positions of the AFL’s last ten premiership teams, separated from the rest by the colour gold. They help to illustrate just where a team needs to be if they want to contend for the flag.

Five teams in particular are close to sharing a position with the premiership sides of the last decade: Geelong, Port Adelaide, Richmond, Brisbane, and perhaps surprisingly, St Kilda.

St Kilda find themselves most closely located to two of the most unexpected premiers of recent years – the Western Bulldogs in 2016, and Richmond in 2017. Suffice to say that if the Saints – who are not yet even assured of finals – were to win the flag, it would be no less shocking.

Is Hugh going to be working with us? If so, that is amazing. Always enjoy listening to him and Martin speak, they are really engaging. Boak was working with them as well.

These posts above about Moore, got me excited. Could 100% never happen but imagine a spine of

Howard
Moore
Marshall
B.King
M.King

Well since we don't know what his childhood was like, I'm prepared to go easy on him. The horrible upbringing some poor kids have messes with them forever, it's truly tragic to see it happen.

Apart from growing up in a tough arse suburb he seems to have had pretty engaged parents and was encouraged in multiple sorting pursuits. I think he was just a genetic throwback to a time when knuckle dragging oafs were de rigueur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back