Review Round 16, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
There was some old blowhard sitting behind me last night losing his sh*t because we were chipping the ball around our backline when we were 40 points up in the last.

Was clearly the right strategy with another game in 4 days and a reduced interchange.

Some people have no ability to put anything in context.
lol he wasn’t the only one. Charlie was losing it on the field and actual yelled “kick the ball ****ing forward” at one stoppage.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think we have:
Martin > Oscar > Smith as rucks
Oscar > everyone as a ruck/forward
Fullerton (early call) > Ballenden/Skinner > everyone as forward/rucks (although maybe we should look at McStay as an option in the future too)

Whats the best combo for our team out of that?

The biggest question for our plan B is can Oscar ruck 85-90% or is he limited to 60-70%.

If he can ruck 85-90% of the game consistently then we can have a part timer like McStay or Fullerton in the ruck. If it's only 60-70% then we need to play Archie

Fagan has also mentioned that a genuine second ruck is handy in case the first ruck gets injured in a game.

Rosscoe_666

Debutant
Dec 6, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
I'm not adverse to dropping Birchall, and pushing everyone down a spot (Harris and Payne as KPDs, Gardiner as a medium defender, Lester into Birchall's role).
Good idea. I'm not averse to dropping Birchall either, but I'd replace old mate Lester with Witherden. Yes, I know he's "playing his role", but there is no x-factor whatsoever in his game. It's a shame, because he seems like a top bloke and very popular teammate but, McStay aside, Ryan brings the least to this side.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
There was some old blowhard sitting behind me last night losing his sh*t because we were chipping the ball around our backline when we were 40 points up in the last.

Was clearly the right strategy with another game in 4 days and a reduced interchange.

Maybe I was listening to the same buffoon, were in the vicinity of Section 66?

royboys4eva

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2006
Melbourne - once Darwin.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hipwoods last month has been excellent for contested marking and getting too contests. Best I have seen from him. Kicking for goal still very much a work in progress. But massive positive that he is demanding the ball and not going into his shell despite his goal kicking. We desperately need him to dominate come finals time.

I still think our forwards lead to often into the deep pockets. We need to break it up at times and straighten up. We need to be unpredictable come finals time or the likes of Richmond and Geelong will just pick us off.

Not sure what was worse last night the Suns or the umpiring. Both atrocious. Suns didn't give a yelp. Not sure a first year player in Rowell giving instructions to players coming off is a great idea either. Guys like Swallow wouldn't appreciate it. Maybe that's why Pearce Hanley thought time to hang up the boots?

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Good idea. I'm not averse to dropping Birchall either, but I'd replace old mate Lester with Witherden. Yes, I know he's "playing his role", but there is no x-factor whatsoever in his game. It's a shame, because he seems like a top bloke and very popular teammate but, McStay aside, Ryan brings the least to this side.
Lester provides a lot more than Witho at this stage and can play taller than Witho. Witho will get his opportunity again.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Some of Smith's tapework was elite. Would love to see his hitouts to advantage.

He made mistakes and is a limited player, but he did pretty well yesterday.
Archie - 8 Hitouts, 3 to advantage - 8 Disposals
Oscar..- 10 Hitouts, 3 to advantage - 6 disposals

Witts...- 32 Hitouts, 12 to advantage - 6 disposals
But Lions ended up winning clearances (Total, Centre & Stoppages) with our midfield well on top for the day
Clearances -
Total-........ 32 to 24
Centre-..... 13 to 10
Stoppages- 19 to 14

What was elite about it? I saw him get beaten to the punch by Witts numerous times.

Later in the game he did some very soft touch taps to team mates which led to inside 50s. More noticeable once I watched the replay.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Archie - 8 Hitouts, 3 to advantage - 8 Disposals
Oscar..- 10 Hitouts, 3 to advantage - 6 disposals

Witts...- 32 Hitouts, 12 to advantage - 6 disposals
But Lions ended up winning clearances (Total, Centre & Stoppages) with our midfield well on top for the day
Clearances -
Total-........ 32 to 24
Centre-..... 13 to 10
Stoppages- 19 to 14
I wonder how they determine if a hit out is "to advantage", if it's tapped to your player but he is creamed in a tackle is that to advantage, I like the pre planned ones from the centre bounces that are tapped to your player exploding into space through the stoppage ie. NicNat.

Hit out wins are a poor indicator of midfield dominance.

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United

The amount of booing was laughable, shows that some of the fans still have no idea.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Suns got a few first possessions then stuffed it up after that.
Archies 8 disposals 7 where hand passes. A few hospital.
I actually though he was better a few years ago.. Think regressed a bit around the ground even last year NEAFL
No idea why.
Although even though I liked Fullerton he is a forward that can ruck a little
Like Skinner and Ballenden.
Big O done well although Martin our best pure ruck.
Be why we chased Ceglar last year.
lists getting smaller see what happens next year.

Anyone talking up smiths game hasn’t got a clue . Takes out a player of ours , not for the first tine this year may I add .

IMO- Linc should have sheppard and let him run through seeing he was running in a straight direction towards our goals

I must be watching someone else. He is a little rustic with disposal but his defensive work and speed and mopping up are brilliant.
1599706052864.png

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Not sure a first year player in Rowell giving instructions to players coming off is a great idea either. Guys like Swallow wouldn't appreciate it. Maybe that's why Pearce Hanley thought time to hang up the boots?
Must admit, I've been bewildered by Rowell performing such a role. He is an 18 year old kid that has been in the system for less than a year. I am curious why other draftees taken last year or any other senior players that aren't playing aren't wandering around the ground pre, during and post game with a notebook in hand performing such duties or is Rowell just so bloody good?

Must admit, I've been bewildered by Rowell performing such a role. He is an 18 year old kid that has been in the system for less than a year. I am curious why other draftees taken last year or any other senior players that aren't playing aren't wandering around the ground pre, during and post game with a notebook in hand performing such duties or is Rowell just so bloody good?
He was on headphones the entire time. I assumed that he was under instructions from the coaches in the box, and standing next to Stewie Dew, who would've pulled them up immediately if he disagreed. Wasn't any worse than a runner passing on a message for mine.

The Zork

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Answerth is playing a very solid role.
His kicks aren’t bullets or pin point like a Rich/Birchall/Witherden.
What he isn’t trying to do is pull off a kick that’s beyond him and turning it over.
He’s got a bit to work on with composure sure and that’ll come. But his dash and general defensive work is up to scratch and deserves to be persisted with.

We also saw first hand how limited Sexton is and why he's being pushed out of the side. Not the player some posters were talking up in the trade thread recently.
Front runner. Needs to go into the backline to learn how to be more accountable.

Back