Review Round 16, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wonder how they determine if a hit out is "to advantage", if it's tapped to your player but he is creamed in a tackle is that to advantage, I like the pre planned ones from the centre bounces that are tapped to your player exploding into space through the stoppage ie. NicNat.

Hit out wins are a poor indicator of midfield dominance.

HIT-OUT TO ADVANTAGEA hit-out that reaches an intended teammate.

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
Answerth is playing a very solid role.
His kicks aren’t bullets or pin point like a Rich/Birchall/Witherden.
What he isn’t trying to do is pull off a kick that’s beyond him and turning it over.
He’s got a bit to work on with composure sure and that’ll come. But his dash and general defensive work is up to scratch and deserves to be persisted with.
Thought last night was his worst game composure wise, lot of hack kicks when he had more time.

Prior the this game he'd improved a lot in that area.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Archie - 8 Hitouts, 3 to advantage - 8 Disposals
Oscar..- 10 Hitouts, 3 to advantage - 6 disposals

Witts...- 32 Hitouts, 12 to advantage - 6 disposals
But Lions ended up winning clearances (Total, Centre & Stoppages) with our midfield well on top for the day
Clearances -
Total-........ 32 to 24
Centre-..... 13 to 10
Stoppages- 19 to 14
Backs up what I thought I saw. Witts was winning the contest most of the time (although early Oscar looked like he was the better ruck), we seemed to focus more on sharking the tap or pressuring the suns mids to force the turn over

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
later on in the match McCluggage took on a tackle and just got away a fine handball rather than pass to Archie.... made me laugh
Was almost funny. Archie looked on his own in the square for quite a while and even the suns didnt bother marking up on him as it was so clear McClugg had no intention on passing it to the ruckman there

morsie

All Australian
Aug 19, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Archie - 8 Hitouts, 3 to advantage - 8 Disposals
Oscar..- 10 Hitouts, 3 to advantage - 6 disposals

Witts...- 32 Hitouts, 12 to advantage - 6 disposals
But Lions ended up winning clearances (Total, Centre & Stoppages) with our midfield well on top for the day
Clearances -
Total-........ 32 to 24
Centre-..... 13 to 10
Stoppages- 19 to 14
Archie also took out Linc.

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Was almost funny. Archie looked on his own in the square for quite a while and even the suns didnt bother marking up on him as it was so clear McClugg had no intention on passing it to the ruckman there
Honestly with some of our inside 50 kicks, Archie would have fit right in with whatever disposal he dished out. (love ya Archie :p)

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Most of the ruck contests you see neither ruckman has any idea where the ball is going to end up, unless it is a clear hit out to advantage it's all on the players at ground level, to be a consistent AFL level ruckman you need to contribute around the ground in general play.

Flea_29

All Australian
Oct 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Fox are STILL going about Payne not coming up against Hawkins or better forwards. F*** off.
Do these guys know that Hawkins has taken a number of tall defenders to the cleaners this year. Not sure why they focus on Payne and Hawkins. Apart from Richmond, Geelong and Port, Payne should be right with all other teams. Also it is a team game - and our team defense, along with our midfield pressure is one of the best in the league.
Geelong have got two 30+year olds in their back half who can hardly move but get the job done week after week - because of the great defensive structure as well as their midfield pressure. Hate to see how Taylor and Henderson would go if they were playing for say Melbourne.

Do these guys know that Hawkins has taken a number of tall defenders to the cleaners this year. Not sure why they focus on Payne and Hawkins. Apart from Richmond, Geelong and Port, Payne should be right with all other teams. Also it is a team game - and our team defense, along with our midfield pressure is one of the best in the league.
Geelong have got two 30+year olds in their back half who can hardly move but get the job done week after week - because of the great defensive structure as well as their midfield pressure. Hate to see how Taylor and Henderson would go if they were playing for say Melbourne.
Careful, you'll give those astute Melbourne recruiters ideas.

And not to mention the question of whether Hawkins will be in that form come finals. He can be very hot and cold, as all forwards can.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
He wasn't anywhere near the votes, but I actually liked a few things McStay did. There was a sequence in the first quarter where he broke up a handball chain, worked to get a tight handball receive, then floated a beautiful kick to find Zorko on the boundary line. His shot hit the post, but to get that from a key forward was great. His workrate around the ground is really good, and makes a big difference to the forward line.
McStay was quite but he didn't look incompetent which he has the last two games. I loved the mark he took when he got out the back of his defender.

His eyes were glued to the ball so he completed something simple.

Archie didn't go to ground all the time( and either did Robbo, except when he had his head taken off) but I cannot wait for Stef to get back in. Archie is not the answer and unlike the other young blokes we have tried in the ruck, he has no upside.

Berry has hurt his shoulder when he was a teenager and I assume it was a dislocation and he had it operated on. Without the op they nearly always do it again. One of my son's was faced with the choice of an op or not but he is a runner so it seemed silly to have the operation. I am not confident we wll seem him again this season.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
McStay was quite but he didn't look incompetent which he has the last two games. I loved the mark he took when he got out the back of his defender.

His eyes were glued to the ball so he completed something simple.

Archie didn't go to ground all the time( and either did Robbo, except when he had his head taken off) but I cannot wait for Stef to get back in. Archie is not the answer and unlike the other young blokes we have tried in the ruck, he has no upside.

Berry has hurt his shoulder when he was a teenager and I assume it was a dislocation and he had it operated on. Without the op they nearly always do it again. One of my son's was faced with the choice of an op or not but he is a runner so it seemed silly to have the operation. I am not confident we wll seem him again this season.
Wasn’t it Tom Berry who had an op as a junior?

Surprised at the lack of votes for Lyons... game-high for clearances and has the third-most in the AFL this year. I laughed at the thought of him being AA earlier this year but he's having a very strong season.
Completely agree... Liked your comment, but still, I couldn't fit Lyons in. There were just 7 or 8 players really in-the-mix for votes this week. He might've just been 6th for a lot of folks.

Roar Deal podcast earlier this year - Dom and Fish lamented for a solid month that Richy was among the bests every week, but every week he was the 4th on their list and had practically no votes despite being consistent class.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Still a long way to go for Payne, we have to be realistic that he is 20 and with missing all of 2018 this is really his second season and played 2 AFL games. He does possess some good pace for a big bloke. We have a good defensive structure and he will get support from others. I thought David Kings comments last Sunday night "Payne all at sea against Richmond" were unfair and seeking a headline. Yes he made a few mistakes but his stats were not too bad. I think King is believing somehow he is the elite AFL analyst and he has ruled out the Lions without Andrews.
Get some more experience into Payne, another preseason and a little more endurance lets see Hawkins against him in 2021.

Rosebury not my favourite umpire. Umpiring all round was pretty shocking last night.

We soundly won the score, the disposals, the clearances, and the tackles. When a team comfortably wins those 4 stats, it's pretty much a given that they'll have had more free kicks as well - that's just what happens when you control the ball.

21-12 against. Plenty of shockers in there.

Maroon Monsoon

All Australian
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
But if they’ve had prior?

Is prior still a thing actually? Now I think about it I remember reading they changed the interpretation of the rule to just making an attempt or something after Clarkson had his whinge earlier in the season.

I genuinely am not sure whether I know the rule any more, it seems to change week to week. it also seems like the umps aren't sure either so maybe that's the balance the afl was going for - add some mystery to the game

"Intended" is a superfluous word in that definition, surely? Unless they know which specific player any tap is meant for. :shrug:
I assume a questionnaire and verbal examination is performed after the game to identify the specific player for each ruck contest.

Gawn gets so many HTAs because they get sick of him trying to talk to Google when they're showing him the game footage.

snooplions

Club Legend
Dec 2, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Absolutely dreading hearing the results from Berry's scans later this arvo.

If Hugh and Bez don't win the cup together...

b16.jpg

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Coleman 11 touches with 2 goal assists, 5 score involvements, 4 tackles and 15 pressure acts, following up on 12 disposals, 4 tackles and 16 pressure acts v Collingwood.

Other than finishing off his work and getting his first goal its hard to see what more kiddy could do. Must stay in the team the rest of the season imo.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Coleman 11 touches with 2 goal assists, 5 score involvements, 4 tackles and 15 pressure acts, following up on 12 disposals, 4 tackles and 16 pressure acts v Collingwood.

Other than finishing off his work and getting his first goal its hard to see what more kiddy could do. Must stay in the team the rest of the season imo.
I'm still marvelling at the deftness of Kiddy's kick to Berry.

Back