Autopsy R16, 2020 Swans vs Blues

I was sure he had the defensive job on Docherty which was identical to the role he played on Haynes against GWS.

Well it didn't work. I noticed Docherty himself was one of a number of Blues doing a number on our smalls. Papley, Wicks and Florent were almost completely blanketed at every contest that came in, be it a marking contest or a f50 stoppage. Credit to Teague as he correctly identified that our main avenue to goal is usually through our smalls/rotating mids, so cut off our ability to crumb and win ground balls inside 50 and the scoring literally dried up.

That being said, I thought Florent did well to get himself free on a few occasions, particularly when he kicked that great goal on the run.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Well it didn't work. I noticed Docherty himself was one of a number of Blues doing a number on our smalls. Papley, Wicks and Florent were almost completely blanketed at every contest that came in, be it a marking contest or a f50 stoppage. Credit to Teague as he correctly identified that our main avenue to goal is usually through our smalls/rotating mids, so cut off our ability to crumb and win ground balls inside 50 and the scoring literally dried up.

That being said, I thought Florent did well to get himself free on a few occasions, particularly when he kicked that great goal on the run.

That was my point though. He was given the same clear role and did a poor job on this occasion.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Wow 3 Swans in the votes and only one Blue, but agree Walsh was BOG

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Not quite

Carlton v Sydney
10 Samuel Walsh (CARL)
8 Sam Petrevski-Seton (CARL)
4 Oliver Florent (SYD)
3 Jake Lloyd (SYD)
3 Lachie Plowman (CARL)
1 Tom McCartin (SYD)
1 Kade Simpson (CARL)

Thanks, thought the list was a little short

Not quite

Carlton v Sydney
10 Samuel Walsh (CARL)
8 Sam Petrevski-Seton (CARL)
4 Oliver Florent (SYD)
3 Jake Lloyd (SYD)
3 Lachie Plowman (CARL)
1 Tom McCartin (SYD)
1 Kade Simpson (CARL)
Interesting. One rated Llyod 3rd best but couldn't get into the 5 for the other. Same with Plowman

Plowman gave papley a touch up

I can't tell if Papley has just lost form and is in his own head last few months, or if Ben Paton from the Saints uncovered the way to shut him down and everyone since has just followed that blueprint. I suspect it's a bit of both.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Paps has played the majority in the midfield, which equals less goals and not as flashy. He was leading the coleman before this move.
Hes also been told to focus on goal assists rather than been given a free reign to kick for goals - less goals, less flashy.
His work rate is still exceptional, he's just playing a different role

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Paps has played the majority in the midfield, which equals less goals and not as flashy. He was leading the coleman before this move.
Hes also been told to focus on goal assists rather than been given a free reign to kick for goals - less goals, less flashy.
This

zyzzbruh

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2017
Mnt Olympus
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manchester United
And when he was leading the Coleman could tell it took his focus, he was goal hungry. The last few games it's clear he's looked past that, he's been actively looking to give the ball off more.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
And when he was leading the Coleman could tell it took his focus, he was goal hungry. The last few games it's clear he's looked past that, he's been actively looking to give the ball off more.
nothing wrong with being goal hungry!

Spot on Masey.
If he can't ruck, he offers nothing at senior level.
We needed a ruckman in the second half. Instead we went with an older part time ruckman who was bandaged up off a 4 day break & who couldn't bend over & who had perhaps every attempt at a kick smothered or when he had time, going to the opposition.
Then we damaged our structures by moving Aliir into the ruck, severely affecting the backline that was doing OK with him there.

JPK & Parker unfortunately cannot play effectively off anything less than a 6 day break. That's a selection issue. Even Dangerfield has been given a reprieve forward but as a forward he devastates the opposition & then pinch hits in the middle should they need him.

Carlton made 4 changes, 2 of them listed as management after a 4 day break. That's 20% of their team freshened up to help run out a game.
Across the league, I can't remember another team that has gone in "unchanged" after a 4 day break.
Now I get accused of being a Horse lover but listen carefully folks.

He constantly gets selection wrong when it comes to playing injured or under duress players.
Going back to the 2016 GF where he chose an 18YO Mills coming off a 5 week break after a hammy injury. That's nuts. At least Macca was our skipper with plenty experience of coming straight back in.
This continues with Horse & co. We are not making finals. We do not need to win at all costs against a sh*t Carlton team who suddenly think they are magic.
Our senior players that put their hand up to play in such scenario should be overruled. Especially JPK & Parker. They have a history of not getting up & then suddenly having a ripper game after a 7 day break. They just can't do it.

If a team is good enough to get themselves 39 points up midway through the second quarter when at their fittest & freshest, then are are not as bad as coughing that lead up suggests.

Likewise, if a team is bad enough to get themselves 39 points down midway through the second quarter when at their fittest & freshest, only to comeback & win last minute, then they are not as good as that come back suggests.

Ted has officially left Sunnybrooke Farm

Anyone else surprised Cripps got nada?

Very much so. He didn't have a huge game but he was the one who got Carlton back into the game mid-way through the second quarter to single-handedly turn the match. He was too quick for half of our midfield, and two strong for the other half.

Back