Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matthew Nicks promised us that we'd be hungry for the contest and seek it out in his first presser upon getting the job. Fair to say it's taken a while to see this reflected on the field but 2 of our last 3 matches you can really see it.

Hopefully this is just a sign of things to come, if so he will likely end up a decent appointment.

Matthew Nicks promised us that we'd be hungry for the contest and seek it out in his first presser upon getting the job. Fair to say it's taken a while to see this reflected on the field but 2 of our last 3 matches you can really see it.

Hopefully this is just a sign of things to come, if so he will likely end up a decent appointment.

We were definitely hungry against the Cats too.

Something changed from that game since. Pressure/level of effort is up across the board - suddenly Matt Crouch is putting up double digit tackle numbers.

I do admit ashamedly I hadnt watch any games till ironically the Cats game onwards, I see bits and pieces of previous games but turned off quickly.

The irony from my perspective, with the garbage I have seen in 2020* and the fact I have only properly seen the Crows since the Cats game, you can excuse me for thinking the Crows look as good as bottom 8 side at the moment.

Tonight we looked like a side with a plan. Damn that is good to see.
Last 3 weeks we've seen obvious changes to play to our opposition which is good to see.

Against Geelong we were working against Hawkins and trying to make sure he didn't have a paddock in front of him 1-1 with Hartigan.

Against the Hawks we avoided the long bombs inside 50 and took the floater Ben McEvoy out of the game.

Against the Giants we worked extremely hard to block off the corridor and force the Giants to go slow and wide to move the ball forwards.

Add to that we've started to win more in the contest which has allowed us to start getting our forwards more involved and there's some good progress to be seen.

I do admit ashamedly I hadnt watch any games till ironically the Cats game onwards, I see bits and pieces of previous games but turned off quickly.

The irony from my perspective, with the garbage I have seen in 2020* and the fact I have only properly seen the Crows since the Cats game, you can excuse me for thinking the Crows look as good as bottom 8 side at the moment.

Bit like eating your veggies mate - hated every minute of if but choked my way through the 1st part of the season to get a read on the kids coming through.

Laird in the middle and Brad Crouch back have helped a lot, but level of effort change is clear across the board. Number of kids have looked good and are building.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Props to Matthew Nicks. Apparently it wasn't on the cards that Bryce Gibbs would get a farewell game but Nicks offered it. My initial reaction was it better not be at the expense of a developing kid. But it's not, and these are the type of things that build a strong culture. Gibbs didn't come off for us and we didn't come off for Gibbs. But good to see a fine gesture of gratitude and respect.

Props to Matthew Nicks. Apparently it wasn't on the cards that Bryce Gibbs would get a farewell game but Nicks offered it. My initial reaction was it better not be at the expense of a developing kid. But it's not, and these are the type of things that build a strong culture. Gibbs didn't come off for us and we didn't come off for Gibbs. But good to see a fine gesture of gratitude and respect.
Who's it at the expense of?

I'd be surprised if he did, but then again it's the AFL so nothing should surprise.

I'd be surprised if he did, but then again it's the AFL so nothing should surprise.
Pointless exercise. Don't we have to pay for that? It's not like Dmac is critical to our finals hopes or anything. Think we might've left our run a bit late.

Pointless exercise. Don't we have to pay for that? It's not like Dmac is critical to our finals hopes or anything. Think we might've left our run a bit late.

Arguably it's the same principle as giving Gibbs a farewell game. No point leaving one of your players out to dry because of an undesirable result.

Arguably it's the same principle as giving Gibbs a farewell game. No point leaving one of your players out to dry because of an undesirable result.
Not even in the same universe. Careless act. Unimportant consequence. Murphy has been rubbed out nearly every second week did we appeal those? Literally who cares if Dmac misses a game for a careless act it's hardly hanging him out to dry. Hyperbolic.

Not even in the same universe. Careless act. Unimportant consequence. Murphy has been rubbed out nearly every second week did we appeal those? Literally who cares if Dmac misses a game for a careless act it's hardly hanging him out to dry. Hyperbolic.
I think he'll get off, the rating of medium impact is ridiculous. The guy got up and took his kick and played on.

I'd pull the Trent Cotchin excuse out of the bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back