Autopsy Round 17, 2020: St.Kilda v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

The outcome is simple- play out of form players and you lose.

Most of the out of form players are in the forward half. As far as I'm concerned, Hind, Kent, Max(young player still learning), Lonie, Membrey and Hill are not playing at the intensity required leading up to finals- that is way too many in a team.

Why recall Hind, who cant get the ball, in place of Phillips who can get some of the ball, is reasonably quick and will improve if given more game time? What's wrong with Bytel that we can't give him more games, might as well play Marsh instead of Kent right now- at least he is strong and contests- Lonie just isn't strong enough to put hard forward pressure on. Jones is disappointing at this end of the season- goes missing and his decision making is terrible. Ross is a worry, and Geary is just doing enough. Hill needs to wipe the smile off his face and get more of the ball.

Ratts had been out-coached a few too many times for my liking, and needs to get the forward line working. It seems he doesn't value midfield defence as a big issue, but the lack of it is killing us.

What a disappointing effort last night- a team playing for a finals berth?

It's kind of amazing that we would let Kelly, Gaff, Ryan, Nic Nat and also Barass basically beat us singlehandedly.

Atrocious coaching that we couldn't get it done. That's basically all their good players and we let them dominate. Couldn't stop any of them. Pretty atrocious.
We were trying to stop them, but we just couldn't.
They were just too good.

Thought last night we saw the coming of age of Hunter Clark a midfielder from now on, Coffield ever reliable, Howard played a more than serviceable game, Steele well he is as his name, solid all night again, Billings tried hard as did Hill whom actually had two tackles (a record for him),thought Paddy beat Nic Nat on the night. Marshall, Patton, Sinclair, Lonie all had serviceable games.

Ross had a few possessions but his opponent had & did more with his. Battle showed a couple of brave things & that was that, our small forwards the likes of Hind, Marsh, Parker, Kent all had about the same amount of possessions & two of them didn’t even play. Max King is only a 20 year old, needs an experienced full time big FORWARD to help him out, can’t expect to win finals with just a kid there.

All other players you can make your own decisions about.

Beaten by a bigger more experienced team on the night, disappointed but not surprised, thought we were/are still a year off from finals but more than happy with how this season has panned out.

In reality we aren't quite a finals list. What's promising is that Clark and Coffield even Paton look up to AFL standard. We have a lot of average players still. The reality is about a dozen players are fill ins who were picked up just to move players out. Probably half way through a second or third rebuild but doing it in a more systematic way. From our 2015 list, next year you'd really only definitely keep Billings and Membrey. The rest are borderline and 5 years in are either past it or not up to it.

It's a shame we don't have much access to this years draft. We probably don't become a serious threat until we get some stars that break games open. Nic Nat, Ryan and Kelly are all a step up from anyone we have. Gresham is our closest to a game breaker and he's still only good rather than great at this stage.

To me the players that will be in our next serious finals side will be Howard, Coff, Clark, Paton, Hill, Steele, King, Butler, Marshall, Battle, Membrey, Gresham. A few more already listed will probably be there too but realistically we have 12 players who sit in that definite bracket though. I reckon sides like WC seem to have about 25. We at least have a few now.

Some how we need to find a Dusty type of elite game breaker.

The outcome is simple- play out of form players and you lose.

Most of the out of form players are in the forward half. As far as I'm concerned, Hind, Kent, Max(young player still learning), Lonie, Membrey and Hill are not playing at the intensity required leading up to finals- that is way too many in a team.

Why recall Hind, who cant get the ball, in place of Phillips who can get some of the ball, is reasonably quick and will improve if given more game time? What's wrong with Bytel that we can't give him more games, might as well play Marsh instead of Kent right now- at least he is strong and contests- Lonie just isn't strong enough to put hard forward pressure on. Jones is disappointing at this end of the season- goes missing and his decision making is terrible. Ross is a worry, and Geary is just doing enough. Hill needs to wipe the smile off his face and get more of the ball.

Ratts had been out-coached a few too many times for my liking, and needs to get the forward line working. It seems he doesn't value midfield defence as a big issue, but the lack of it is killing us.

What a disappointing effort last night- a team playing for a finals berth?
Replying to myself- I forgot to add Billings as the biggest disappointment

6 kicks. 6 clangers

You are either part of the solution, or part of the problem. This board is 50/50 on which side of the fence Ross sits on.

I remain part of the 'trade for a half eaten packet of Doritos' club*

*Doritos optional

The Kennedy goal in the last quarter damming on Ross .

Heard news today Jack Billings & Seb Ross searching the Sunshine Coast in need of a
shiver for a spine to run up .

Selection Integrity: Train Wreck.

Only words I want from Geary is in the best interests of club I’m retiring .

So he should be. As all of them should be. Had a chance to lock away a top 8 spot and choked yet again.

He signed under false pretences. Probably thinking if only he'd waited a week before committing himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trying to maintain some perspective hours after watching a very disappointing display from the Saints.

Reading the comments here and they’re quite predictable. “Club is crap”. “I’m done”. “Ratts is a joke”. “We’d embarrass ourselves if we made the finals”. And so forth and so on. These comments are perhaps not unreasonable in the circumstances.

Yes we played bad (at times). We played dumb (at times). And yet if 3 of our gettable set shots that missed had gone through we win the game. And that happens and suddenly everyone’s mood changes. And perspectives change. Cos we’ve beaten the West Coast Eagles. No longer the depleted, WAFA version of the Eagles but simply the West Coast Eagles. And we’re playing finals. And who can we bring in next week to strengthen our side etc etc. And yet the reality is that this sliding door team that got over the Eagles by a point would be no better than the team that actually got done by 15. It would not be any more competitive. It would not have any greater prospects if it played finals.

So now 12 hours later I’m just going to suck it up and hope we can beat GWS on Friday and qualify for the finals. I believe it’s important for our club that we play finals and I’m not going to stress over what other finalists may do to us.

The supporters want finals and potential recruits want to see us make finals. So let’s just do it.

The players have disappointed us this week, as have the coaches.

I for one look forward to seeing them make amends in a week’s time #unhealthilyoptimistic

As we get into these bigger games against better teams those players that have got away with short steps, half arsed efforts here and there and poor disposal under pressure will be found out. For me, the last 3 losses have shown who those players are. Its great that we're in the position to separate the wheat from the chaff. For 9 years we've not held a spot in the 8 before the last round with it all to play for. Now we're here, we know who will help us move into a contender and who is just clogging up a list spot.

I thought Ratten coached pretty well last night. We lost because they were cleaner and took their chances. If you told me before the game that we had every chance to win the game and blew with simple shots halfway through the last i would have laughed because thats where we're at. We'll move past this inability to win close games just as the lions have. I thought the coaches gave us what we needed to win the game, they can't put it through the sticks as well!

56%? Surely you jest.

On SM-T290 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I know it's more fun to just dump on one player - or two now considering some of the comments on Billings - but the entire midfield used the ball that badly all night.

Steele - 57.7% from 26
Ross - 55.6% from 18
Billings - 55.6% from 18
Jones - 53.3% from 15
Hill - 57.1% from 14
Ryder - 53.8% from 13
Clark - 62.5% from 24
Sinclair - 63.2% from 19

Only Marshall from the midfield group had a good night, going at 72.7% from 11.

It was an entire midfield issue. Probably from the perceived pressure in the game causing everyone to panic and fumble , probably not handing the conditions well and the dominance of West Coasts backline rendering most of our insides 50 useless.

I noticed our forwards in the first half, just being so totally out of position when the ball was coming in- nobody leading to the ball carrier, nobody demanding the ball, instead standing flatfooted. The WCE backs just stood where you expect the ball to go, and took easy marks. No wonder you see so much bombing. Ratts has a serious issue with the forward half structure, and those playing in it.

I'm feeling very flat today but we should never expect to win games with a 6.14 score line. The game was there for the taking in the last quarter and we failed to capitalise by kicking 3.5.

The disappointment I feel is mainly because I know we let another potential win slip through our fingers; however, this year I've gone into most games feeling that we could win. Last year I went into most games hoping we could win.

For me this year has a kind of 2003 vibe. Developing list, some very good results, some poor results, mostly competitive but lacking real composure when required . It all came together for us in 2004 and we went deep into the finals. I really do hope we get to play a final this year because I feel it would really help our development but mostly for my sanity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back