Preview Changes vs GWS

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I disagree. You’re main problem against Freo was overusing it in slippery conditions. We now have a stack of players injured and a day less break. Our season is done I reckon.
Those things mean nothing to us mate, we could have two weeks off and still come out and lose. Trust me, whoever you’re picking is better than what Fremantle is picking. You’ve played enough finals football to know when your opportunities are there to take, we are coached so badly I feel genuinely sorry for the players. They’re coached into a certain routine, and Goodwin just doesn’t get it.

Like Luke Hodge mentioned the other day, Melbourne are transparent. They can be beaten because they play an inside game with no variation. Get the ball outside and you’ll bury us.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Those things mean nothing to us mate, we could have two weeks off and still come out and lose. Trust me, whoever you’re picking is better than what Fremantle is picking. You’ve played enough finals football to know when your opportunities are there to take, we are coached so badly I feel genuinely sorry for the players. They’re coached into a certain routine, and Goodwin just doesn’t get it.

Like Luke Hodge mentioned the other day, Melbourne are transparent. They can be beaten because they play an inside game with no variation. Get the ball outside and you’ll bury us.
Lol... you haven’t seen us play... the worse the team the harder we find it to score.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Lol... you haven’t seen us play... the worse the team the harder we find it to score.
I get your reverse jinx effort, but you just can’t remove the curse of Norm Smith, or for that matter Joel Smith, with a couple of BF posts

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
Just hilarious .....

Charge Laid:
Kysaiah Pickett, Melbourne,
has been charged with Engaging in Rough Conduct against Rory Lobb, Fremantle, during the second quarter of the Round 16 match between Melbourne and Fremantle, played at Cazalys Stadium on Monday September 7.

In summary he can accept a $1500 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct, Low Impact and High Contact. The incident was classified as a $2500 sanction as a second offence. The player can accept a $1500 sanction with an early plea.

What did he do , hit his kneecap ?

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Easily make it? No. There’s nothing easy about it. GWS will defeat us just through pure talent. Just watch us play a midfield focused inside game with nothing out wide where your elite runners will have acres of grass to work with. Watch us kick out to the boundary and have all our players on one side of the ground whilst you go across to the switch and comprehensively burn us with run.
Mate the last Giants side that played like that was the 2016 edition!

They could store the dead sea scrolls in the corridor this week and I guarantee neither side would come close to damaging them.

LarryDavidNeitz

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
IN - Lockhart, T-Mac, Harmes
OUT - ANB, O-Mac, Preuss

Can't make 7 changes again, and I agree that dropping young guys after 1 game isn't the way to go, especially when playing a blinder in the remaining 2 games is the only way to save their career. Thinking of Bedford and Baker particularly.

So sadly we've reached the point of the season where there will be blokes in the 22 on the weekend who shouldn't be on the list next year. Purely because the people you'd replace them with also shouldn't be on the list next year.

You could argue that the season is on the line and we need to pick our best possible side this week - but clearly after the last 2 games the season being on the line is no motivation at all to the players. So perhaps acting like it's a dead rubber is our best chance of accidentally winning.

Jamurp

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Told myself I wouldn’t watch this one, but the Giants loss to Adelaide has peaked my delusional finals hopes again.

Hope we can play a more free flowing game than the garbage we’ve dished up in previous weeks.

Go dees.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don’t mean to be cruel but I don’t think I’ve seen a Melbourne player more out of their depth at AFL level than Bedford since Isaac Weetra. That is saying a lot given the last 14 seasons of (largely) horror.

Tom Gillies had an awful one or two games but playing fullback in a team that is losing by 637 points is going to make anyone look shithouse and kill their confidence.

Anyhow, if he is selected, here’s hoping the third game is a charm.

dylan93

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don’t mean to be cruel but I don’t think I’ve seen a Melbourne player more out of their depth at AFL level than Bedford since Isaac Weetra. That is saying a lot given the last 14 seasons of (largely) horror.

Tom Gillies had an awful one or two games but playing fullback in a team that is losing by 637 points is going to make anyone look shithouse and kill their confidence.

Anyhow, if he is selected, here’s hoping the third game is a charm.

I mean Petty in his first game was woeful.

But he was fairly serviceable late last year.

I think time will tell with Bedford, but I feel your frustration.

In: Hannan, Lockhart, Brown (none of these players should have been dropped)
Out: Baker, Preuss, Pickett

Would go for more but we keep shuffling the deck chairs around and getting the same results, so no good for team cohesion.

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Told myself I wouldn’t watch this one, but the Giants loss to Adelaide has peaked my delusional finals hopes again.

Hope we can play a more free flowing game than the garbage we’ve dished up in previous weeks.

Go dees.

Yeh I'm the same, also despite our collective anger we need to accept that Goodwin will be our coach next year, so I'm back on the delusional finals hopes bandwagon as well. Making them or not making them will have no impact on getting rid of Goody this year, and if he stinks it up again next year he will surely be gone regardless.

Oceanlabxo

Debutant
Oct 19, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
hot and humid in brisbane, any chance we'll play a lineup that can take marks in greasy conditions this week? unlikely.

In : anyone who's spot in the list is up for debate
Out: anyone else

don't care anymore, tank the game, find out if anyone floats and turf the rest

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
I mean Petty in his first game was woeful.
That performance gave me hope that my aspirations to be an AFL-listed player are still achievable despite a complete lack of fitness and no AFL abilities whatsoever.

Genuinely embarrassing.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
******* hell is that a statement or what
Word. The closest I can think of was when we made Brad Green sub for a game in 2011. Also Yze as fill in skipper for the 2005 elimination final, flipped the coin and ran straight to the bench.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
ill never understand the changes we make. the 22 we are putting out is ******* putrid

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Word. The closest I can think of was when we made Brad Green sub for a game in 2011. Also Yze as fill in skipper for the 2005 elimination final, flipped the coin and ran straight to the bench.
Also in 2012 we had both grimes and Trengove start on the bench. Wasn't a big deal but not a great look particularly when we were going horrible and the media loves those things.

Back