Play Nice The Sanctuary Thread v1 [Off-Season Review] [No Melting]

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
There wasnt any.

We should have brought in another inside player (or Carlisle) or just kept Phillips who at least gets his hands on the ball.
Yeah, Bytel or Dunny would have been the better choice in hindsight.
I'm struggling to reconcile quite a few things from that game.
Our inability to alter tactics since we've been worked out is why we've lost 3 of the last 4.

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah, Bytel or Dunny would have been the better choice in hindsight.
I'm struggling to reconcile quite a few things from that game.
Our inability to alter tactics since we've been worked out is why we've lost 3 of the last 4.
I don't understand what you mean about not changing tactics. Do you mean an inability to stop getting sucked into their game plan?

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't understand what you mean about not changing tactics. Do you mean an inability to stop getting sucked into their game plan?
2 things stuck out from last night.

1.Our forward entries have been worked out weeks ago, and since then every oppo team has crowded the center corridor in the forward 50 and we've gone back to the Richo era of just bomb it in. We're just playing right into their hands. Any change would be better, but there's not even an attempt to do something else.

2. After Wilkie muffed his kick late in the 1st that turned over and cost us a goal, in the 2nd quarter they just went for long kickouts to a pack on the boundary line. Clearly an instruction from the coaches to prevent D50 turnovers.
Working it out of the D50 had been working for us to that point, if not for a single muffed kick. But off that one muffed kick we then literally gifted WC 40 metres of territory and sent every single kickout to a pack contest or a WC player.
It cost us the game, and it was dumb.

In the 3rd and 4th quarters they went back to working it out of the D50 and we were able to get the ascendancy in the game, if not for point 1 being the problem there after.

The thing that's frustrating is that games against Brizzy, Melbourne and WC were lost by lost by StKilda, rather than won by the oppo.
The players and busting their guts, but we're just doing dumb stuff, or no stuff tactically.

I think having Ratts on the bench isn't working for us. But point 1 has been happening for a while now, so I'm at a loss about it.

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
2 things stuck out from last night.

1.Our forward entries have been worked out weeks ago, and since then every oppo team has crowded the center corridor in the forward 50 and we've gone back to the Richo era of just bomb it in. We're just playing right into their hands. Any change would be better, but there's not even an attempt to do something else.

2. After Wilkie muffed his kick late in the 1st that turned over and cost us a goal, in the 2nd quarter they just went for long kickouts to a pack on the boundary line. Clearly an instruction from the coaches to prevent D50 turnovers.
Working it out of the D50 had been working for us to that point, if not for a single muffed kick. But off that one muffed kick we then literally gifted WC 40 metres of territory and sent every single kickout to a pack contest or a WC player.
It cost us the game, and it was dumb.

In the 3rd and 4th quarters they went back to working it out of the D50 and we were able to get the ascendancy in the game, if not for point 1 being the problem there after.

The thing that's frustrating is that games against Brizzy, Melbourne and WC were lost by lost by StKilda, rather than won by the oppo.
The players and busting their guts, but we're just doing dumb stuff, or no stuff tactically.

I think having Ratts on the bench isn't working for us. But point 1 has been happening for a while now, so I'm at a loss about it.
Fair enough. The part that bothered me most was that we did get sucked into a game that suited them. I thought the only chance we had of winning was to take the game on and we didn’t really do that apart from some of the first and last quarter.
Having said that we managed to hang in there despite that and nearly snatched a win.
Plus Kelly was incredible I thought.

Baldur

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 23, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
1599817418945.png

1600005798905.png

I was hoping we'd have our place locked in already but it has come down to this. Can't say it hasn't been an interesting season!
I don't think a loss guarantees we miss out but we don't want to be depending on other results to know our fate.
Hope Ratts has the boys fired up and ready to make amends for some losses which shouldn't have happened.

If he's 100% fit he should. They'd want to be certain though, do not want another mid-game injury.
Dunstan a chance too, has had a few practice matches now. Doesn't exactly play into the speedy game plan but if he can extract it and dish it off it will help.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
Was reflecting on the season and there is so much to be positive about. We looked really good at Marvel earlier in the year and beat the Dogs and Tigers there. Next year when we can play at our home ground more frequently I think we'll be really good.

This has been a great season, so many close losses but that has got us up there with our percentage. Praying we can finish of the regular season with a great win to seal our first finals campaign in 9 years.

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't feel confident about winning this game. I feel that the forward line has gone off the boil.
I was confident but Jones out is huge for us. I think we'd be OK if Gresh wasn't out as well. They are the two that give us a burst of speed out of clearances. Both can be poor kicks but that doesn't matter so much if they are chaos balls into the forward 50 before the defence sets up. Probably worth 3 goals a game.
We might have to resort to a Richo type game & fight a war of attrition for this one.

Glad to see Carlisle back.
Hanners too. Hope the roll of the dice pays off.

other choices are limited, if he's ok to go then play him, I'd rather lose him for a final than not make the final

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
I dunno, but I've got a feeling that Dunny would offer more than Kent at this point.

With Jones out, Steele will cop the tag so another hardened ball winner seems like a good idea to me.

Our game plan isn't revolving around pace any more, and its of limited value if you cant get the ball first..

Sinclair can take Kent's roll, Dunny into the guts.

I dunno, but I've got a feeling that Dunny would offer more than Kent at this point.

With Jones out, Steele will cop the tag so another hardened ball winner seems like a good idea to me.

Our game plan isn't revolving around pace any more, and its of limited value if you cant get the ball first..

Sinclair can take Kent's roll, Dunny into the guts.
Dunny hasn't played since round 1 though and was omitted from the team after that *, think I'd rather see Clarke and Sinc's through the middle than him

*yes i know he was injured but that didn't happen until June

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
Dunny hasn't played since round 1 though and was omitted from the team after that *, think I'd rather see Clarke and Sinc's through the middle than him

*yes i know he was injured but that didn't happen until June
I expect we'll see Clark and Sincs through the middle either way.

Restructuring my post, my main points were Sincs for Kent, and Dunny to help Steele without Jones there.

It would be brave to bring in Hanners and Dunny, but like l said more politely Kent was utterly crap, do anyone is better tbh..

So I missed some of that quarter since my TV decided to stutter step and alt between 5G and 2.4 for some ungodly reason.

What I did see though, endeavour was great, caught out a bit on transition but those things happen and hey, we're ahead, so, positive start.

Back