Autopsy Round 17, 2020: St.Kilda v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Like I’ve said previously I believe the effort was there. Skill levels by foot not so good although we have very good hands.
It’s just some of the decisions made with ball in hand can be absolutely mind boggling. We are a very dumb footy side lacking in football smarts. We need to target a couple of less injury prone Hanneberys. One for each line, I think we underestimate the value of game perception.

I think it is a bit of both.

Some of the entires were appalling and not helpful to the forwards at all. Some were just rushed, panicked kicks inside 50 with no thought process on who was actually there.

But our entire forward line has also lost all structure. There was little leading from the forwards into space, too many times three forward were all running to the one spot and trying to mark the same ball. They need to be leading into different areas, not to the one spot. The forwards aren't getting any separation from their defenders many more which is get congesting the entire forward line and is making kicking into the 50 even harder.

Hard to believe this is the same forward line that was one of the most accurate in history a couple of months back.

My take on the game:

Just like in 2019, we failed to turn our periods of dominance into goals, and they did.

At the moment that brad hill had a shot on goal from 15 out, we were nearly home, but showed our fragility after that.

Ryder was absolutely fantastic, loved his game. Hunter and Sinclair were clean with the ball when most were not. Sincs may have found his spot?

Billings and King are so low on confidence they can't kick a drop punt, it's sad to see.

In the first half of the year we were turning every ground ball inside 50 into a score (usually a goal). We have just completely lost that whole aspect of our game

Opposition clubs aren't worried about Membrey. Put Carlisle up there, have him go one way and King go the other.

Carlisle has always been average as a permanent forward. I’d put Marshall or Battle in full time.

The one time we lower our eyes and kick to Max on the lead he takes the mark and has a set shot. It really isn't rocket science.

Think he cops way to much crap in here, there is nothing worse as a forward then having the ball plonked on your head with 2-3 defenders wrestling you. Especially when you're an under developed kid wrestling men. The fact he gets it to ground majority of the time is a miracle!

No defender can go with him on the lead with his speed and length, so here's a novel idea.... Maybe play to his advantages 😳

Plenty of disappointment, astonishing hot takes and quite frankly embarrassing potting of the club and players last night...

So here's a positive, Hunter Clark finally played midfield and boy did he look at home.
I'll pot the club if i want to
We don't live in fairy land here
Believe it or not people who cough up coin to keep this club alive for the last few decades are going to say negative things and they are going to say positive things
This is the internet
People will give players s**t, warranted or not it's going to happen.

Report the posts if they're that bad and mods will clean it up and hand out the punishment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are currently 6th on the ladder. At worst, after this weekend we will be 7th - with 1 round remaining. Let that sink in.

I understand that we had all expected to beat WC last night, and the expectation is greater based on the season to date - we were outplayed, tactically they were far better than us, despite being low on troops. That is called inexperience. You need to play in these games to learn from them.

We are currently 6th on the ladder. At worst, after this weekend we will be 7th - with 1 round remaining. Let that sink in.

I understand that we had all expected to beat WC last night, and the expectation is greater based on the season to date - we were outplayed, tactically they were far better than us, despite being low on troops. That is called inexperience. You need to play in these games to learn from them.

So it wasn't Cho...it was Armitage going on the scrap heap and Steven losing his s**t and not having a replacement for Riewoldt.

We are now back to there.

The really heartbreaking thing about the loss is despite being really poor for the majority of the game we put ourselves in a position to win with 5 mins left and looked to be completely all over them. It actually looked like the Eagles had stopped. Then we missed chances and turned to water.

That last 5 minutes was shattering.

ok so my 2c on this game :

Ratten - Let me be very clear im not calling for his head but the concerns i had about him as coach when we were deciding between him and Bangers as head coach have not been removed in this first year of him coaching us .. he has us playing similar to how he had Carlton playing when he was coach there wher the team would swing from great to woeful in the space of ten minutes, he had a game plan that when teams allowed the game to be played on those terms looked fantastic but when the opposition changes the tempo and style of the game it falls to crap.. I have buy in with Ratts and ill support him as our coach but he needs to show the footy world that his time at Hawthorn has developed his coaching beyond what he did as a middling Calton coach.

King - we are playing him like the player we want him to become not the player he is at the moment... give him a few years and he will be clunking everything and dominating the the forward line but at the moment him getting crunched in packs and lamenting he doesnt mark it is again expecting him to be what he will become too early - we did the same with Roo to and extent but we also have guys like GTrain and Sammy who were more focal points in that early development .. we need the guys to look to Membrey Ryder and Roma more also we as fans need to just cool our jets on the big fella, give him some time

Geary - much respect for gears to become the player he is and he has been a good captain for us as a leader of hard work and determination and a big part of the disipline our team have shown by just getting on with the job in the face of adversery .. But if we are to make that next step . if we are to move from okay team to strong team to feared team we need a captain that is going to lump the team on his back and drag us forward, a captain who is going to fill the team with that killer instinct that when the opposition are weakend we go to work on that and exploite that weakness. Marshall sometimes shows that, Long sometimes shows that the rest ......

i was out and about yesterday so i was force to have to only listen to the game on the radio not watch it but ill put this to you there is no greater pain than listening to that game being called by Karl Langdon , Glenn Jackovich and the other guy... people complain about Eddy calling Collingwood games my god you eastern staters have no idea what biased comentary sounds like til you have heard the game called by these muppets ..

Hard to believe this is the same forward line that was one of the most accurate in history a couple of months back.
It's like they have all forgotten how to play. The entire structure and movement has disappeared completely. Chalk and Cheese from the first half of the season.

Roughy will need to work overtime this week to fix the goal kicking and forward structure. If he can make us look competent next week, then he really is a miracle worker.

Only St Kilda could have a season where they underachieve and overachieve at the same time. Seriously though there is finally a few players that are up to standard. I have been tough on our drafting and trading but it's slowly improving. We have 12 players I'm confident should play in our next proper finals side.

At the start of last year our best players were Jack Steven, Seb Ross, Jack Steele, Jarryn Geary and Jade Gresham if you went by 2018 Trevor Barker Award placings.

Webster, Carlisle, Membrey, Billings and Mc Kenzie were our best after that. Steele has stepped up but the rest haven't done much this year or haven't played.

Don’t apologise
Many feel the same way that was a Eagles 2nd team, we have many on our list who shouldn’t be playing and a lack of leadership from the likes of Geary and Ross. Still two to three years away need keep turning the list over
Hopefully we stop persisting with some of these guys who have been there for several years who continue to let this club down.

I kind of hope they trade a few and give the picks to libba and see what he can do.

I’m not usually a coach bagger. Matter of fact usually stick up for them as I did with Carlisle not playing but in hindsight we made 2 bad selections yesterday. Bytel has to play as an extra mid over hind and Carlisle had to play for a back. Not sure who but the coach is paid for hard decisions. Then we continue with this switch that worked for half the season but basically hasn’t worked since the geelong game. It was a quick switch that opened up the ground. Now it’s a painful slow switch that does nothing at all. It even cost us a simple goal when Wilkie kicked it like me to one of our players. Hard to change game styles in this era of covid but we need to work out another way of going forward. You have 7 days rats.

03 is a good comparison. We are learning and we will learn how to win close games as we get more experience.

Luckily we have 3 golden chances left.

1) If the Dogs lose on Sunday we are in regardless of other results.

2) We win next Friday night

Or 3) Dogs lose to Fremantle next weekend
If Melbourne beat GWS I think we can still make it too

ok so my 2c on this game :

Ratten - Let me be very clear im not calling for his head but the concerns i had about him as coach when we were deciding between him and Bangers as head coach have not been removed in this first year of him coaching us .. he has us playing similar to how he had Carlton playing when he was coach there wher the team would swing from great to woeful in the space of ten minutes, he had a game plan that when teams allowed the game to be played on those terms looked fantastic but when the opposition changes the tempo and style of the game it falls to crap.. I have buy in with Ratts and ill support him as our coach but he needs to show the footy world that his time at Hawthorn has developed his coaching beyond what he did as a middling Calton coach.

King - we are playing him like the player we want him to become not the player he is at the moment... give him a few years and he will be clunking everything and dominating the the forward line but at the moment him getting crunched in packs and lamenting he doesnt mark it is again expecting him to be what he will become too early - we did the same with Roo to and extent but we also have guys like GTrain and Sammy who were more focal points in that early development .. we need the guys to look to Membrey Ryder and Roma more also we as fans need to just cool our jets on the big fella, give him some time

Geary - much respect for gears to become the player he is and he has been a good captain for us as a leader of hard work and determination and a big part of the disipline our team have shown by just getting on with the job in the face of adversery .. But if we are to make that next step . if we are to move from okay team to strong team to feared team we need a captain that is going to lump the team on his back and drag us forward, a captain who is going to fill the team with that killer instinct that when the opposition are weakend we go to work on that and exploite that weakness. Marshall sometimes shows that, Long sometimes shows that the rest ......

i was out and about yesterday so i was force to have to only listen to the game on the radio not watch it but ill put this to you there is no greater pain than listening to that game being called by Karl Langdon , Glenn Jackovich and the other guy... people complain about Eddy calling Collingwood games my god you eastern staters have no idea what biased comentary sounds like til you have heard the game called by these muppets ..
Good summary. I don't think King is the player we thought he might be- IMO at the moment looking more like Tom Hickey playing as a permanent forward. I thought Paddy showed more potential in comparison, but sadly we know injury cut him down. Hopefully a couple of seasons will see his body mature and become a better player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back