Preview Round 17 – GWS Giants vs Melbourne, Saturday 12th September 2020, Gabba, 7.40PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it’s not that as his movement has been fine, he’s just been horribly out of touch, making poor decisions and looking like the burden of captaincy has choked him up.

Dropping him is the right decision and shows that nobody is protected. Jezza has been off too but I thought he tried against Adelaide and he hasn’t exactly been given great service from our mids.

Kelly before getting concussion was very average too. These guys are the leaders, they are very highly paid and on long tenure, if they don’t set the standard the club fails.
Disagree re Kelly. His form was pretty good.

Disagree re Kelly. His form was pretty good.

He’s just a very silky vanilla player, he has little hurt factor. I do recall one game where he lit it up a few years ago and got over 40. Clearly an outlier performance but he hasn’t got close to that again.

Honestly I would sacrifice him over any of the other big names if one had to go. Particularly if it meant keeping young Perryman who we just cannot let go.

For me guys like Whitfield, Greene, Haynes, Perryman, Hopper, Davis, even young Daniels who run both ways, put their head in the hole and contribute to their best nearly every week are the fabric of the club. It is non-negotiable letting these guys go so long as they are fit and well.

Kelly is the icing on the cake but is sour cream if the others don’t play their part.

Tried the last two weeks without any real effect.
Toby works in the middle if we don't play negative footy in the middle

If De Boer is in the middle we are playing a negative brand and then need to decide weather to play 1 less inside or outside midfield. On top of that when you get dominated in the ruck even more behind the 8 ball

If Toby is in the middle without De Boer and a ruckman that wins the tap it works

Right decision dropping Cogs. For once that hack reporter was right. Glad I’m sitting down.

Good thing is, from what I can tell, Cogs is a good bloke and is a leader, he will take this as a challenge more than anything and won’t whinge and sook.

There are a few people out there who have forgotten just how good the skipper is. Out of form yes but he will get there.

Right decision dropping Cogs. For once that hack reporter was right. Glad I’m sitting down.

Good thing is, from what I can tell, Cogs is a good bloke and is a leader, he will take this as a challenge more than anything and won’t whinge and sook.

There are a few people out there who have forgotten just how good the skipper is. Out of form yes but he will get there.
Im not saying how good of a skipper can be etc etc

All im saying is our structure is wrong, we traded in wrong last season and the players can fracture especially when it leaked early last year within in regards to the tied vote and not accepting etc etc
People forget he wasn't over-whelming winner it was a 3 way tie :think:

Could go on but we still have a game to win this weekend 👍

Im not saying how good of a skipper can be etc etc

All im saying is our structure is wrong, we traded in wrong last season and the players can fracture especially when it leaked early last year within in regards to the tied vote and not accepting etc etc
People forget he wasn't over-whelming winner it was a 3 way tie :think:

Could go on but we still have a game to win this weekend

Think they wanted Ward and Cogs to share?

Think they wanted Ward and Cogs to share?
That's where some both within and outside could think Davis and Cogs

Davis could be disgruntled, Ward wouldn't be

Wasn't broken...

Yes was a fantastic signing but will be at cost but we can fix it up -time will tell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? Spent 38% time forward against the Crows. Obviously not playing upto his standard but he was in the forward mix for a large chunk of the game so how is it on him to get the ball forward? I seriously don't understand why he isn't playing full time guts (100%), he's not a forward.

You're paying him huge $$ and you were missing so many guns yet you leave it to guys like Taranto and Hopper to lift the load. Why isn't the scope on them, considering they spent all their time on ball? Just a message sent to the playing group? I'm not sure I like it.

Really? Spent 38% time forward against the Crows. Obviously not playing upto his standard but he was in the forward mix for a large chunk of the game so how is it on him to get the ball forward? I seriously don't understand why he isn't playing full time guts (100%), he's not a forward.

You're paying him huge $$ and you were missing so many guns yet you leave it to guys like Taranto and Hopper to lift the load. Why isn't the scope on them, considering they spent all their time on ball? Just a message sent to the playing group? I'm not sure I like it.
It's not based on just the one game though. He's probably had maybe one or two satisfactory individual performances since the restart, at best.

Part of me is questioning whether it's the right thing to drop your captain at this point rather than sticking by him and letting him persevere. But I feel he has been given his chance to step up, which he hasn't taken with both hands in recent weeks, and they've said enough is enough. Which I'm also okay with.

He is giving 100% and busts a gut, but he couldn’t hit a target if it was the size of the Opera House.
Have no doubt he will but I think he needs a break.

They are all down but Cogs hasn’t really had a great game except round 1.

And who knows there may be an injury.

I can see Zac playing in the midfield for a while with Whitfield and Ash in the backline (assuming Williams is playing). His ability to make quick decisions with high levels of success is elite.

Cogs form is well below Jezzas. Part of Jezzas form has been a role change and the fact the ball barely gets down to the forward line.
Some of Cogs turnovers by foot have been horrendous this year... which is really unlike him.
I wonder how much effect that documentary has had on him... that, plus a pandemic, and being a first year captain, is an incredible load.

Captaincy, or any type of leadership, requires a certain type of personality, one with natural authority. It's one of those things in life which is intangible, even though it has very tangible effects.

Ward has it in spades. Davis too, but not Coniglio. That's not a criticism of him as a person, he has other admirable qualities. But he's not a natural leader, and that is what the team needs.

Captaincy, or any type of leadership, requires a certain type of personality, one with natural authority. It's one of those things in life which is intangible, even though it has very tangible effects.

Ward has it in spades. Davis too, but not Coniglio. That's not a criticism of him as a person, he has other admirable qualities. But he's not a natural leader, and that is what the team needs.
The players voted him in as their leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back