Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

Blues177

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Never caught a full recording of even's Big League on youtube until today and the first 40 or so minutes are from a cracker game I attended in late 1983.

We did something similar to top team North the following week at home and had another comeback win. Did we win 6 in a row?
Bosustow punched a North player in the face, got suspended and never played for us again.
Unfortunately we then had to face our nemesis Essendon 2 weeks in a row including the elimination final and we lost both games.
Our horrible midseason slump that season that put us in 8th spot with a bad % about round 15 was costly.

Blues177

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Would have been good if he had stayed as we might have been a chance to get his brother (Slammin Sam)

Midseason 1972 Slamming Sam was suspended by North Melb for the rest of that season because he refused to play in 2 reserves games after he was dropped for poor form.
At that time Sam wanted a clearance to Carlton and stated that he always wanted to play for the blues. North refused to budge and Sam missed the chance to be part of a premiership team that season instead of a wooden spoon.

Last edited:

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
We did something similar to top team North the following week at home and had another comeback win. Did we win 6 in a row?
Bosustow punched a North player in the face, got suspended and never played for us again.
Unfortunately we then had to face our nemesis Essendon 2 weeks in a row including the elimination final and we lost both games.
Our horrible midseason slump that season that put us in 8th spot with a bad % about round 15 was costly.
Yep, sounds like you recall right. Probably the most even top five sides of that era, Certainly losing Bosustow and one or two others seem to de-rail us, but really it was earlier in season where damage was done and costly as we should not have been that low on ladder with our talent. Hawks best was not as good as ours but just were more solid for more of the season and got the double chance. I went to North game the following week. Was another cracker. We played some sensational entertaining football to get our season back up again but ended up being too late to make the double chance spots.

Hopefully that next round game v North turns up on youtube sometime too.

Last edited:

Blues177

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton's position at the moment and what needs to happen for the blues to make the finals reminds me of 1997 when there were 2 rounds to go.
With 2 rounds to go in '97 we needed to win our last 2 games and about 6 other games to go in our favour.
All the games went our way with the exception of our final game against Richmond at Princes Park when we failed to kick a goal in the last quarter and lost by 2 points. I was there and it was frustrating to watch after we had a handy lead for most of the day.
We missed the finals by half a game and Kernahan played his last game.

Carlton's position at the moment and what needs to happen for the blues to make the finals reminds me of 1997 when there were 2 rounds to go.
With 2 rounds to go in '97 we needed to win our last 2 games and about 6 other games to go in our favour.
All the games went our way with the exception of our final game against Richmond at Princes Park when we failed to kick a goal in the last quarter and lost by 2 points. I was there and it was frustrating to watch after we had a handy lead for most of the day.

The difference between the teams couldn't be more contrasting though, the current team being young and on the way up, the 97 team was one made up in great part of aging champions at the ends of their careers.

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
Was a good day up the top deck of the Olympic stand. Still remember the look of horror on mum's face as the handle on her foam esky snapped on the way up the stairs and drinks , lunches, fruit etc rolled all the way down. The day got better though.
I was in the Olympic Stand as well. We must have seen each other.

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
Robbo & Aph

What were your thoughts at half time?

The reactions of people there must have been amazing to see when Jezza kicked the last goal that bounced thru.

A friend of mine once told me that he knew a Carlton fan who left the game at half time and went home!
You know footy’s a funny game but I would have been hurting at half time.

As luck would have it a Collingwood supporter who I knew from school and football, and his dad, were nearby and giving me heaps during the first half. 121,000 people and we sit within earshot of each other. I never liked the bloke so it made it all the more galling that he was giving me s**t during the first half.

I’m probably exaggerating but I reckon Carlton kicked 7 unanswered goals in about 10 minutes during the third quarter. The turnaround virtually happened in the blink of an eye. I still remember the goals that Jackson and Walls kicked during that onslaught. They were special.

It then became a battle of wills for forty minutes and it looked like Collingwood might hang on. However Crozza and Jezza had the nerve and talent to break their hearts late in the game. Jezza’s goal still makes me emotional when I see it. The audacity of it. When it went through I dared to believe that we could win the game. I looked over towards my ‘mate’ to make eye contact but he was gone. It sort of sums up Collingwood supporters. Not as passionate as us bluebaggers. There’s no way I ever leave a game before the final siren.

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
You know footy’s a funny game but I would have been hurting at half time.

As luck would have it a Collingwood supporter who I knew from school and football, and his dad, were nearby and giving me heaps during the first half. 121,000 people and we sit within earshot of each other. I never liked the bloke so it made it all the more galling that he was giving me sh*t during the first half.

I’m probably exaggerating but I reckon Carlton kicked 7 unanswered goals in about 10 minutes during the third quarter. The turnaround virtually happened in the blink of an eye. I still remember the goals that Jackson and Walls kicked during that onslaught. They were special.

It then became a battle of wills for forty minutes and it looked like Collingwood might hang on. However Crozza and Jezza had the nerve and talent to break their hearts late in the game. Jezza’s goal still makes me emotional when I see it. The audacity of it. When it went through I dared to believe that we could win the game. I looked over towards my ‘mate’ to make eye contact but he was gone. It sort of sums up Collingwood supporters. Not as passionate as us bluebaggers. There’s no way I ever leave a game before the final siren.
Not much exaggeration there. Think it was 7 goals in 13 minutes. Syd Jackson kicked the third of them with an amazing snap. 50 years on hey sometimes it seems like yesterday.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
Not much exaggeration there. Think it was 7 goals in 13 minutes. Syd Jackson kicked the third of them with an amazing snap. 50 years on hey sometimes it seems like yesterday.
Two quaters that i can remember like it was yesterday are that 3rd quater in the 70GF and the first quater in the 72GF. Both quaters i watched in disbelief.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember Kekovich he could have been a very good full forward. I think he done a knee which he never recovered from.
Serious back injury he played through with in the 68 GF. Told to immediately retire by doctors. A great career robbed.

Greg Kennedy had a hard act to follow in Jezza. Critics expected him to kick ten every week. He hurt his back too, and slowly went downhill.

Jul 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Ex-Blue Ben Harrison kicked the winning goal with 5 mins remaining.

Kouta's reply a minute later was a couple inches short and touched by a lunging Ashley Prescott.

Never caught a full recording of even's Big League on youtube until today and the first 40 or so minutes are from a cracker game I attended in late 1983.

worth it just for the opening advertisements - mazda 929 - with reclining front seats............

Jul 15, 2008
Blue Balls
AFL Club
Carlton
ACF56C95-2168-469A-ABB9-523650CC959C.jpeg
Found some treasure going through Dad’s stuff
Including 79 grand final tickets and membership badge

Happy 50th Anniversary to the greatest comeback in VFL/AFL history and to the legendary Mark of the Century.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back