Autopsy Round 17, 2020: St.Kilda v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard on the radio this morning that Lenny is walking away from the Giants. Go get him, boys!
Player/captain/ coach šŸ˜Š
we would have lenny as an assistant for us today if we had Harvey as coach ... was pretty clear from Robert Harvey that if he got either the Crows job or the Saints job Lenny was going to be his right hand man ...

So in the cold light of day, Iā€™m obviously still very disappointed that weā€™ve made it so hard for ourselves to get that final spot, but not nearly as shattered as with our loss to the Dees.

Even with their lack of first tier mids, they were always going to be damn difficult to beat, with their superior experience and still some excellent players in the team.

Think weā€™re a much better chance against the Giants. And if we miss finals, Iā€™ll be extremely disappointed but still not shattered. Two games where weā€™ve been well beaten, but generally hard-fought close losses. The percentage tells the tale.

Weā€™ve taken a huge step forward, but quite obviously still have a fair amount of work to do on the list and on the game plan.

we would have lenny as an assistant for us today if we had Harvey as coach ... was pretty clear from Robert Harvey that if he got either the Crows job or the Saints job Lenny was going to be his right hand man ...

Would still rather have Ratts than Harves at this stage.

King should never have played. Can't mark and can't kick. Mentally shot to pieces.

So how do we expect him to improve if we donā€™t play him?
Definitely not the biggest of our concerns.
You play him, play him again and keep on playing him.

Still, I feel like my life is over this morning, such is the grip these f***ers have over me šŸ˜‚

Itā€™s just amazing, isnā€™t it, the power they have over us?
Still, as they keep saying in Victoria -

ā€œWeā€™re all in this together!ā€ šŸ™„

Well that was a terrible game to watch. We have gone from playing some of the best looking footy to something terrible resembling an u10s game. To me when we are in important games it seems we get in a scared to lose it mindset and lose all composure and panic. We were just rushing to roost the ball as far as we can nearly everytime. We tried our heart out tho.
Carlilsle out obviously a strange decision.
Positive to see Clark given his chance in the middle and showing he can play there. Not sure why they took him out of there tho.
Better win against gws!

Itā€™s just amazing, isnā€™t it, the power they have over us?
Still, as they keep saying in Victoria -

ā€œWeā€™re all in this together!ā€ šŸ™„
Iā€™m not. Iā€™m in st Kilda together. Iā€™m not in lockdown together. Sick of it. And then the team losses. How bad can a weekend be.

How has st kilda set a membership record this year? Who keeps buying these memberships and supporting this dumb footy club when its the same old story at st kilda. Get rid of richo (who was useless himself) for who? Brett ratten who is just as bad of a coach as his predecessor if not worse (even with an upgraded list).

Iā€™m not. Iā€™m in st Kilda together. Iā€™m not in lockdown together. Sick of it. And then the team losses. How bad can a weekend be.

Me too.
I was being facetious. #welloverit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard on the radio this morning that Lenny is walking away from the Giants. Go get him, boys!
Player/captain/ coach šŸ˜Š
Walking away from Footy not just GWS

Looking at this i would say we are.View attachment 958477
15 players under 100 games.

Definitely not making excuses for last night. That's a game that was handed to us and we failed to take, but it does help us understand why we've lost so many games that we were right in until the final 2 minutes.

We win half of those instead of just one, and we are comfortably in the 8, in fact we'd likely be in the 4.

Keep backing the kids and we will be there sooner rather than later.

Last night was bloody hard to take, but I can see the light.

Here's what stinks to me about last night's game.
Xavier O'Neill, Brayden Ainsworth, Josh Rotham, Jackson Nelson, Hamish Brayshaw
WTF even are these people, and who knew they were on a sporting list?
And so all we needed was for Dean Kent, Ben Long, Nick Hind, Jack Lonie, Ben Paton (just half-arsedly choosing our bottom 5 here, leaving out the C and VC)
to win comprehensively over that who's who of nobodies and we'd be a long way towards winning, regardless of how good their top 5 were.
Kent got two handpasses for the game! Long got one kick, Hind 4 kicks. WTF were they doing out there?
Everyone saying Bytel's not ready e.t.c I couldn't give a damn. He'd get more possessions than the 3 of those guys combined and he'd learn a few things along the way.
As for Carlisle, has the club come out and stated that he's out for family-related reasons? If not, why the hell not? He's not a friggin Russian election candidate, just tell us. If he wasn't picked for football reasons against that Eagles forward line, it's a big bloody black mark against the coach and his team.

Speaking of black marks. If you've got the team advantage overall, and you don't start all that well, what's the best strategy. Stick your best tagger (Steele) on their best player (Kelly), make it a hard tag and tell the other blokes in the middle to beat their opponents if they want to play next week. I know Steele was near Kelly a bit later in the game, but not near enough and not early enough, he ripped a new Rsehole in us last night.

One more thing about Jake, he's the only bloke other than Lonie who's got a bit of mongrel in him. We're timid as mice out there, and it sucks balls.

In: Jake, Bytel and anyone willing to flatten Toby Greene
Out: Any player who didn't look sufficiently disgusted in their own performance last night and doesn't burn the track up this week
It wasn't those nobodies who won them the game.

Look at their top 5 players and our top 5 players. That was the difference in the game.

I'll pot the club if i want to
We don't live in fairy land here
Believe it or not people who cough up coin to keep this club alive for the last few decades are going to say negative things and they are going to say positive things
This is the internet
People will give players sh*t, warranted or not it's going to happen.

Report the posts if they're that bad and mods will clean it up and hand out the punishment.

You've got every right to pot the club :) same as I do to say it's embarrassing.

Play on

Point 1. I am disgusted but the blood letting and melting that happened after this match. To accuse players of not trying or picking out individual players is just disgraceful behaviour and you are all so brave behind a keyboard hang your heads and take a good hard look at yourself. Bet you the players review will be harder on themselves than your review on your conduct after the match will be. Just Grow up.

Never ever thought that I would be ashamed to be a Saints supporter but I was last night.....and not from the players but by some of your revolting comments and emotive postings.

Point 2. Fact we are such a better side than last year by both ladder position and percentage tell us that. What you guys expected us to go from 14th to Grand Final contenders. ***g grow up.

Point 3.
Ratts has added so much to the vibe of the team and the club and he is what... not a year into coaching this club with effectively about 10 players at the club less than 3 years and in effect many experiencing the first year playing together. It is an outstanding effort by all concerned.

Point 4. Player Comments
Yes I reckon Carlisle would have made a difference...I do not know why he is not playing maybe there is a no dickhead policy being enforced and we all know Jake and love him as we do can be a dickhead and maybe no selection is the result.

Reckon he is gone..because he should be playing.
Geary was not the reason we lost last night.
Usual suspects Kent and Hind and to an extent Long between them did not get 10 touches for a game. Not good enough. We need to replace them in the line up with players with a better and consistent output.
Membrey was fantastic Battle hard at it.
Reckon Billings looks injured/lame just not as polished as usual...been a few weeks of deteriorating performance trading him is not the answer.
People slagging Paddy Ryder earlier in the year should apologise to all that had to read their dross. He had played a great last few weeks. Also last week posters were bagging Clark he almost won us the game in the second half..you guys that bag our players after one game learn to shut the f**K up.

Point 5.WCE
There is a reason they beat us and it has nothing to do with heart or that they worked out our game plan.

It is called experience and high level of performance over a long period of time with their stars playing with each other or in the AFL system for a number of years.

Their best players were simply better than our best players and they just found a way to win along with some ordinary umpiring in the final minutes.
Kelly was unstoppable so posters here say put Steele on him and thus cut off our main performing mid all year and reduce his output reducing our chance of winning the game. Some of the work that he and NicNat did around the ball was truly elite.
Ross tried and failed to hold Kelly. He is not one of our top 4 on ballers anymore. But drop him, he did kick the goal to put us ahead. We also won the clearance count inside 50s tackles uncontested footy so that's the sign of a strong onball effort.

Nor is Sinclair love him and he is showing great signs with his run through the centre but he will always be a solid B grade. He is in our best 22 at the back end.
Darling schooled Coff on playing CHB. Battle may have been a better choice...next time maybe.
Patton was beaten by Jones who is a human highlight reel all night.
They flooded the backline and we just could not quite get through quick enough...not through a lack of trying or effort. That will be something to work on next year...also another preseason for Winx will only help his ground ball work is mouth watering.

Final point
We need another mobile marking forward aka Toby Greene or DeGoey.
Maybe that is wherevBillings finishes up and then recruiting Williams or Caldwell for a wing makes sense.
We also need an elite on baller unfortunately they do not grow on trees. If Clark can emerge like Steele has next season then that's a start. Would help improve Jones as well.

We are a good side only getting better as our best players are young and still developing our coach is learning how to coach this particular playing group and the new recruits are learning how each other plays.

We are not there yet but we are on the march but eatting our own dies not cut it. We can all see it happening it is like watching a young Rooey Lenny Dal BJ et al and Plugger Loewe Winmar Harvs and Burkey come through together.

Let's have passion and support for our team not anger and derision.

Go Saints

Would still rather have Ratts than Harves at this stage.
i guess we wont ever know ... im content with Ratten and happy with his first season but i was very strongly in the Harvey camp as coach and i feel he would have been a great coach for us ...

It wasn't those nobodies who won them the game.

Look at their top 5 players and our top 5 players. That was the difference in the game.
Yeah, totally agree - but their top 5 players are much better and more experienced than our top 5 players - we needed players to play out of their skins to match those guys. If the other blokes took advantage of playing on those nobodies, and had good games it would have made a huge difference, given the smallish margin.
It's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. You're right, the gulf in class between their top players and ours was evident, but we had a real opportunity to make up for that with the guys playing on Johnny Nonames. They failed miserably.

Point 1. I am disgusted but the blood letting and melting that happened after this match. To accuse players of not trying or picking out individual players is just disgraceful behaviour and you are all so brave behind a keyboard hang your heads and take a good hard look at yourself. Bet you the players review will be harder on themselves than your review on your conduct after the match will be. Just Grow up.

Never ever thought that I would be ashamed to be a Saints supporter but I was last night.....and not from the players but by some of your revolting comments and emotive postings.

Point 2. Fact we are such a better side than last year by both ladder position and percentage tell us that. What you guys expected us to go from 14th to Grand Final contenders. fu****g grow up.

Point 3.
Ratts has added so much to the vibe of the team and the club and he is what... not a year into coaching this club with effectively about 10 players at the club less than 3 years and in effect many experiencing the first year playing together. It is an outstanding effort by all concerned.

Point 4. Player Comments
Yes I reckon Carlisle would have made a difference...I do not know why he is not playing maybe there is a no dickhead policy being enforced and we all know Jake and love him as we do can be a dickhead and maybe no selection is the result.

Reckon he is gone..because he should be playing.
Geary was not the reason we lost last night.
Usual suspects Kent and Hind and to an extent Long between them did not get 10 touches for a game. Not good enough. We need to replace them in the line up with players with a better and consistent output.
Membrey was fantastic Battle hard at it.
Reckon Billings looks injured/lame just not as polished as usual...been a few weeks of deteriorating performance trading him is not the answer.
People slagging Paddy Ryder earlier in the year should apologise to all that had to read their dross. He had played a great last few weeks. Also last week posters were bagging Clark he almost won us the game in the second half..you guys that bag our players after one game learn to shut the f**K up.

Point 5.WCE
There is a reason they beat us and it has nothing to do with heart or that they worked out our game plan.

It is called experience and high level of performance over a long period of time with their stars playing with each other or in the AFL system for a number of years.

Their best players were simply better than our best players and they just found a way to win along with some ordinary umpiring in the final minutes.
Kelly was unstoppable so posters here say put Steele on him and thus cut off our main performing mid all year and reduce his output reducing our chance of winning the game. Some of the work that he and NicNat did around the ball was truly elite.
Ross tried and failed to hold Kelly. He is not one of our top 4 on ballers anymore. But drop him, he did kick the goal to put us ahead. We also won the clearance count inside 50s tackles uncontested footy so that's the sign of a strong onball effort.

Nor is Sinclair love him and he is showing great signs with his run through the centre but he will always be a solid B grade. He is in our best 22 at the back end.
Darling schooled Coff on playing CHB. Battle may have been a better choice...next time maybe.
Patton was beaten by Jones who is a human highlight reel all night.
They flooded the backline and we just could not quite get through quick enough...not through a lack of trying or effort. That will be something to work on next year...also another preseason for Winx will only help his ground ball work is mouth watering.

Final point
We need another mobile marking forward aka Toby Greene or DeGoey.
Maybe that is wherevBillings finishes up and then recruiting Williams or Caldwell for a wing makes sense.
We also need an elite on baller unfortunately they do not grow on trees. If Clark can emerge like Steele has next season then that's a start. Would help improve Jones as well.

We are a good side only getting better as our best players are young and still developing our coach is learning how to coach this particular playing group and the new recruits are learning how each other plays.

We are not there yet but we are on the march but eatting our own dies not cut it. We can all see it happening it is like watching a young Rooey Lenny Dal BJ et al and Plugger Loewe Winmar Harvs and Burkey come through together.

Let's have passion and support for our team not anger and derision.

Go Saints

Lenny wasnā€™t leaving Sydney last year. That Iā€™m sure of.
according to Robert Harvey his pitch to both the saints and the Crows included that he has a line of assistants ready to come with him headed by Lenny Hayes ... Harves mentioned it mutiple times at our function with him, i dont see any reason why he would lie about that so maybe Lenny would have left if the job offer was there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back