Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Not even in the same universe. Careless act. Unimportant consequence. Murphy has been rubbed out nearly every second week did we appeal those? Literally who cares if Dmac misses a game for a careless act it's hardly hanging him out to dry. Hyperbolic.
If it were almost anyone bar DMac we'd want to appeal, there's no way it was worth a suspension

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
If it were almost anyone bar DMac we'd want to appeal, there's no way it was worth a suspension
Sure but the upshot is they intend dropping a developing youngster for Gibbs' farewell, when they had the perfect opportunity on a platter to just let Dmac sit one out.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Sure but the upshot is they intend dropping a developing youngster for Gibbs' farewell, when they had the perfect opportunity on a platter to just let Dmac sit one out.
Reckon Kelly would've dropped out, but they upheld the decision anyway

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Keeping the playing group "happy".

Our playing group should get used to not being able to dictate stupid s**t like this. That if they want a professional environment rather than the s**t show they have endured that means the club will be professional about not letting stupid s**t fly just because they demand it.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Our playing group should get used to not being able to dictate stupid sh*t like this. That if they want a professional environment rather than the sh*t show they have endured that means the club will be professional about not letting stupid sh*t fly just because they demand it.
The millennial are strange bunch.....they want to feel constant support.

Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Our playing group should get used to not being able to dictate stupid sh*t like this. That if they want a professional environment rather than the sh*t show they have endured that means the club will be professional about not letting stupid sh*t fly just because they demand it.
Sloane being talked down from contesting his one-match suspension in 2016 was one of the worst mistakes of that year. If a player thinks he is not guilty then the club shouldn't stop him. By all means discuss the chances of success rationally, but nothing is gained from imposing a decision on the player.

(I think the suspension was correct)

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

It's not just a player from the previous week's 22 that misses when wasting a game on Gibbs. It's any of the players that he just jumped past.

Last edited:

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sloane being talked down from contesting his one-match suspension in 2016 was one of the worst mistakes of that year. If a player thinks he is not guilty then the club shouldn't stop him. By all means discuss the chances of success rationally, but nothing is gained from imposing a decision on the player.

(I think the suspension was correct)

Sure, but the player should pay all the costs out of their own pocket if the club disagrees with them.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
1599781502908.png

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I think that strategy stuff has been a bit more evident from Nicks over the last month. Feels like we've started getting the basics of his gameplan down and he's started to introduce a bit more in playing to our opposition, rather than the Pyke mindset of just "play how we want to play" regardless or the matchups.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
I think that strategy stuff has been a bit more evident from Nicks over the last month. Feels like we've started getting the basics of his gameplan down and he's started to introduce a bit more in playing to our opposition, rather than the Pyke mindset of just "play how we want to play" regardless or the matchups.
I was initially concerned whether Nicks was simply appointed on his communication skills and ability to bond a fractured group .....seems there are more dimensions with Nicks than originally thought

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I was initially concerned whether Nicks was simply appointed on his communication skills and ability to bond a fractured group .....seems there are more dimensions with Nicks than originally thought
I mean, they weren't genius out of the box moves or anything, maybe i'm just easily impressed that we now have a coach who seems to scout the opposition a bit and is willing to make moves on gameday to counter an opposition.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
I mean, they weren't genius out of the box moves or anything, maybe i'm just easily impressed that we now have a coach who seems to scout the opposition a bit and is willing to make moves on gameday to counter an opposition.
Wasn't hard with GWS , with Nicks being senior assistant last year .....but you have to admire a very young team with many players under 20 games, able to stick to an obvious tactic for most of the game .....says a lot IMO

mcattack

All Australian
Apr 14, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Weve done well past two weeks. Can finally see some improvement. Good to see easy and others step up. Goes to show got give the new coach some time ... hopefully we recruit well in the off season and have abounce up the ladder.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Weve done well past two weeks. Can finally see some improvement. Good to see easy and others step up. Goes to show got give the new coach some time ... hopefully we recruit well in the off season and have abounce up the ladder.
There has never been a better time to rebuild ....so many players will be forced off lists as a result of TPP restrictions and list size .......hopefully there's another Keays out there (Hately + ?)

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
The commentators showed a couple of down the ground shots talking about our defensive positioning when GWS had the ball. Every player inside their man, forcing them wide and a 'defensive quarterback' guarding the 45 kick and directing traffic (was Sloane in the footage they showed). Imagine it has taken a while to reach a decent level of coordination especially with the environment of 2020.

The other noticeable change is how mobile we've looked at the stoppages compared to 5+ weeks ago when we were flat-footed and teams ran rings around us. We seem to be hunting the ball/player now and initiating things rather than reacting.

And finally it's seemed as though Murphy and Stengle are camping under fewer high balls in the F50. That moronic set up with our smalls deep seems to have gone.

Crow Envy

Cancelled
Dec 2, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
The commentators showed a couple of down the ground shots talking about our defensive positioning when GWS had the ball. Every player inside their man, forcing them wide and a 'defensive quarterback' guarding the 45 kick and directing traffic (was Sloane in the footage they showed). Imagine it has taken a while to reach a decent level of coordination especially with the environment of 2020.

The other noticeable change is how mobile we've looked at the stoppages compared to 5+ weeks ago when we were flat-footed and teams ran rings around us. We seem to be hunting the ball/player now and initiating things rather than reacting.

And finally it's seemed as though Murphy and Stengle are camping under fewer high balls in the F50. That moronic set up with our smalls deep seems to have gone.
Not quite, we still bombed to Stengle manned by Haynes on a number of occasions

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
The millennial are strange bunch.....they want to feel constant support.
A large percentage of our playing group wouldn't be Millennials. Millennials are 38 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back