Autopsy Round 17, 2020: St.Kilda v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Only St Kilda could have a season where they underachieve and overachieve at the same time.

Or maybe just the sign of a developing team - inconsistent.
Gap between our best and worst this season has been a lot closer though.

I just think the point is we aren’t going to get an extra 4 goals a game unless we got about 5 champions. If we had an extra 4 goals a game this year we would 200 points clear of the side with the most points this year. That is just about impossible. We actually only need a goal extra a game to be on top of the ladder. We need to remember 4 goals these days is about 7 ten years ago. And if we do make it this year I wouldn’t rule out winning a final as early as this year. I would rule out a top 4 spot until we get another goal a game.

Well I reckon King could average close to 3 a game by next year easily. He might have us play finals. We need constant improvement everywhere else too but we aren't massively far away. We ned a couple of more Jack Steele like lifts in quality from a few players. Gresham looks most likely to be able to do that and Membrey shouldn't have two years as bad as he was this year. He's gone from 2 goals per game to 1.1.

Overall the season has still being positive given where we were. We have the building blocks for a decent side. We are 1-2 stars short.

We have to move on some of the senior blokes. Geary should retire, and we should look to trade Ross. The Hanners trade is the one that really stings. How we could give him 5 years on big money, it truly beggars belief. To call it reckless would be an understatement. No other club would have gone close to giving him anything more than 3 years.

It makes it seriously hard to challenge when one of your highest paid players still has 3 years left and they are unlikely to play more than a handful of games for the next 3 years. What concerns me greatly, is that despite the lack of star power we still don't have that much cap room. The Hill and Hanners trades will act as a real handbreak for years to come.

We have Finnis and Lethlean to thank for that. Finnis has been an unmitigated disaster. Blows my mind he has not come under more scrutiny. The Hanners trade completely reeks of self interest on Lethean's part, but it was still allowed to go through no problem. This is after giving Richo and Trout free reign to destroy the clubs chances of rebuilding for years.

Time for him to move on.
Can’t agree that our ceo has been a disaster. He’s been great actually getting moorabbin done , girls team , sponsors, lethlean , players behaving , record memberships.
Would you prefer nettlefold back to put the club back on its knees like he did when we actually had some success???

Or maybe just the sign of a developing team - inconsistent.
Gap between our best and worst this season has been a lot closer though.

Yep, didn't get anywhere near as many games that we weren't competitive in. We used to beat the weaklings up and lose to quality. Now we knock off middlers and the odd good team and lose to losers. seriously though we have improved. I think last year actually set us up pretty well. We gave plenty of games to players who otherwise would have been behind regular GOPs. We actually developed a whole heap of good kids. Battle, Wilkie, Marshall, Clark, Coff, Paton etc all got more games than they would have otherwise.

Can’t agree that our ceo has been a disaster. He’s been great actually getting moorabbin done , girls team , sponsors, lethlean , players behaving , record memberships.
Would you prefer nettlefold back to put the club back on its knees like he did when we actually had some success???
We'd be a basket case if we were still at Seaford

I am not saying he is going to kick a bag. But no way an opposition is going to just let him roam. They have to put take him seriously and put a big guy on him. It takes all the focus off King and spreads opposition defence. Right now they just all sit on and around King.

How long did we think the "bomb it to King and pick up goals from crumbs out the back" was going to work. We were lucky to get 10 rounds out of it.

I'd rather play someone like Marsh and just use him like a battering ram. Having him crash side on into any player that tries to double team King. Give away frees but just have them look over their shoulders the whole time.

We'd be a basket case if we were still at Seaford
Finnis and leathlean have been fantastic. Leathlean is on sen about every second week. That is great for the club If finnis never does another thing he has achieved the one thing that will keep this club going. Being back in our community was vital for the future. I don’t think people realise how far Archie and pelchen set us back.

Mids have looked ordinary for about 8 years now. For some reason we’ve barely bothered picking up mids through this entire rebuild. Mids, mids, and more mids should have been the strategy.
You Won’t get an argument from me and many would say that’s impossible

Dont have time to read all the comments, but I feel we are in better shape than many think.
For me , we just lack composure at key moments.
I counted about 20 last night such as king, hill misses, ross /battle kicks membery/ king missed marks/ Ryder ball watching/ kennedy unmanned 30 out, coff deliberate etc etc.
A bit more composure in another 3 or 4 games and we would be on top. Two big changes I'd like to see: swap in 2 or 3 good mids for small forwards and set up to hit up king, membery etc on the lead rather than bomb. Also think if we had a normal vfl season, players like Bytel would be much further advanced.
If we can land 2 guns off season, get a few players back, we will be super competitive next year

Mids have looked ordinary for about 8 years now. For some reason we’ve barely bothered picking up mids through this entire rebuild. Mids, mids, and more mids should have been the strategy.

Yup, in the age of the midfield we loaded up on half back flankers. It was one of he strangest list management decisions ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, didn't get anywhere near as many games that we weren't competitive in. We used to beat the weaklings up and lose to quality. Now we knock off middlers and the odd good team and lose to losers. seriously though we have improved. I think last year actually set us up pretty well. We gave plenty of games to players who otherwise would have been behind regular GOPs. We actually developed a whole heap of good kids. Battle, Wilkie, Marshall, Clark, Coff, Paton etc all got more games than they would have otherwise.

If you think about it, top 5 teams-
Port W
Richmond W
Brisbane - very close L
Eagles - close L
Cats - thumping L

That is not a bad season.

king has become a liability
PwyWRdh.gif

King had more shots at goal than any other player on the ground.
19 goals from 38 shots this year, at least he's getting a look, but needs to improve that ratio.

I had him down for about 30 goals this year which he is around the mark for in a 22 game season.

Last edited:
i guess we wont ever know ... im content with Ratten and happy with his first season but i was very strongly in the Harvey camp as coach and i feel he would have been a great coach for us ...

What we do know is that Ratts has taken us from 14th to wherever we eventually land up off the back of a season like no other -

*Not allowed to have full team training sessions while introducing a new game plan and 7 new players (incl King and Bytel)
*playing pretty much the entire season without our most experienced mid
*winning away games - something we’re notoriously bad at - including back
to back games in Adelaide

Let’s see what he can do in a normal year.
I still think coming out of a successful system, and probably helping to bring people like Rath into the club, gives us more than Harves could right now.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back