Review Positives & Negatives V Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

They certainly weren't kidding about Brayshaws lack of pace

I haven't seen someone move that slowly across the field for us since Priddis retired
Needs to be in the guts but it's a huge step up from scrimmage to AFL intensity.

I think we need to give Hammer a chance to find the pace of the game and lose some nerves.

They certainly weren't kidding about Brayshaws lack of pace

I haven't seen someone move that slowly across the field for us since Priddis retired
But priddis had endurance and more determination to get everything out of himself . Hammer should have a chat to him cos he has some inside grunt . Loved his bullocking through tackles .

+ We beat the Saints in one of our best home and away wins in history given the circumstances.

- My fiancée, a Saints fan, is no longer speaking to me.

🤷‍♂️
They give us the silent treatment and we pretend to hate it
I love Ryan. I was so excited when we picked him. Unfortuanately I didn't watch the game but I've watched the highlights twice.
No spectacular grabs in the reel however, needs to extract the digit!:cool:
He had one speccy but natanui knocked it out of his hand on the way down

For those who are bagging out the younger guys for not getting amongst it with lots of touches have to realise we play a system .

Saints repeatedly tried to switch it to the fat side as that has been their game plan all year and almost every time they were halted by mostly our younger guys gut running to clogs up space and stopping them getting a free run down the other wing .

Hill must have been so frustrated as every time he got it he had to go back behind the mark and search for a free player .

That doesn't happen without our system that has been drilled into these young guys .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives +

+ Tim Kelly standing up when our top mids are out.
+ Gaff was also one of our best mids standing up when the top mids are out and played 100% TOG.
+ Won without Shuey, Yeo, Redden and Sheed.
+ Liam Ryan was one of our bests. Competed well in the air and played like a proper crumber. Lock him in for AA.
+ Nic Nat at his best and giving our mids silver service. He spent 80% TOG. Lock him in for AA.
+ Barrass stood up when Gov went down and shut down Membrey and King although King couldn't kick straight.
+ Schoey and Rotham solid down back.
+ Waterman working hard and linking up with the defense and midfield.
+ We won in wet conditions.
+ Duggan provided hardness in the middle.
+ Ainsworth shutting down Jones. Although he can be too slow with decision making and fails to bluff the umpire with "genuine attempts" thus getting done HTB.
+ Nelson was composed with ball in hand.
+ Bunga led the backline well.
+ Cole's after the siren goal which helped our percentage.
+ Allen and Darling provided us good targets.
+ JK was decent but was a bit quiet.
+ I'm soo happy that I was way off in my predictions.

Negatives -

- Gov doing his hamstring. Time for Edwards to shine.
- Too fumbly. Yeah I know it's wet but against a cleaner team, that will bite us hard.
- Brander was quiet.
- Petch was also quiet but is coming back from injury.
- Missing crucial shots especially near the end of the third. Will come back to bite us in finals against a straight kicking team.

After game review.

The Saints looked on top early but our defense managed to repel the Saint's constant F50 entries after they smashed us on the outside thanks to our aerial presence with McGovern when he was still on and Barrass who stood up when Gov went off. Both Barrass and Gov play better when Schoey's in the side since he actually plays on a man and provides subtle blocks to allow either Barrass and McGovern to intercept. We did well in blocking the corridor so we force them down the line where we were ready to fist to the boundary. I noticed when Darling was outnumbered or the kick isn't to his advantage, he did well in killing the contests and even spoiling the footy to the boundary where Nic Nat can work his magic.

With no Shuey, Yeo, Redden and Sheed and with the Saints having a decent midfield, you'd think we'd get smashed even I thought so too. Kelly stood up like his life depended on it and Gaff showed he can play on the inside having improved his inside mid ability from 2019. Our make shift mids filled with half back flankers Duggan, Nelson and Cole did a great job and our C grade mids in Brander, debutant Brayshaw and Ainsworth also was decent despite Brander being quiet. We've managed to get +1 in contested possessions considering the Saints are a good contested possession team. It's nice seeing Cole linking up to our forward line to provide us an easy target as he's scored three goals this year.

Speaking of Nic Nat, he beated both Ryder and Marshall in the ruck and Allen did well with solid support. He had 18 disposals, 33 hitouts, 9 clearances and played 80% TOG mostly when Allen went off. It showed why we badly missed him against the Dogs since he would've destroyed English but resting him was the right call though. Ainsworth did a great job tagging Jones since Jones had 7 disposals in the first half when the Saints was firing but he only had 8 disposals for the rest of the game which slowed the Saints mids down as Jones is one of their faster players. Ryan showed that he can also crumb like Rioli did and it's nice that he's cutting down those mark of the year attempts to be threatening ground level making him the perfect small forward who's also damaging in the air.

Petch has been quiet but he's providing good pressure but just needs to stick them and not let them slip otherwise the ball will be rebounded at will. JK's quiet game but he did kick a crucial goal.

+ Tim Kelly played a blinder could have really kicked 3 goals;
+ Gaff ran his guts out and 33 touches worked his backside off
+ Shuey, Yeo, Redden and Sheed - We will get Yeo, Shuey and Sheed back to add some class
+ Liam Ryan - His class was there some of his skills was just sublime
+ Nic Nat - Went into full beast mode
+ Barrass - Took some
+ Schoey and Rotham solid down back. - Brilliant, will need them down we have Gov out
+ Waterman working hard and linking up with the defense and midfield. - Brilliant link man

The absolute highlight for me was Gaff bursting/accelerating out of the guts to kick into the 50. I have never seen a burst of speed from Gaff. He runs all day but is exceptionally one paced. He actually found another gear. Shocked the s**t out of me and it was a great bit of play. Gaff was outstanding.

Ryan - what can you say. The spacial awareness and kicking he is showing is unbelievable. Has gone to another level in the last few weeks and if he can do that around the ground regularly, what a weapon.

NN - in the last particularly. He won it for us in the 4th.

Kelly - won if for us the whole day. Outstanding game.

So many honourable mentions given our situation. Shep, Barrass, Schoey, the young guys for playing their part and a specific honourable mention to Ainsworth. He is growing slowly. I have not been convinced but, as a tagger, he is really doing his part.

On the negative side (apart from Gov of course), whilst the youngsters have done their best, the game really showed we have a depth problem. We need at least a couple of players that can come in, are hard bodied, and can get 15 to 20 possessions with some versatility. Not world beaters but play a role to a reasonable standard. Our depth is youth who may or may not make it (and are stuck in the single digits for possessions for now) and, I guess, Hutchings, who we all know is limited (but been fantastic for us) but who is aging and now struggling to get on the park. We need to seriously consider at least one more mid-age player that can slot in at AFL level, even if no world beater. They are around. JJ may be that for us going forward but he is obviously injured and we haven't seen enough (but liked what I saw).

Last edited:
Sainters board melted hard last night.

Crikey.
To be fair, so did ours after the bulldogs loss.

Saints really should not have lost that. We only had two midfielders of any quality - saints should have tagged the s**t out of them and won.

They also had the same number of scoring shots but missing sitters cost them dearly.

Would have been frustrating as hell watching that as a saints supporter.

Would have been frustrating as hell
watching that as a saints supporter.

You could probably say the same thing about supporting them.

Jesus that flying shot in the last by Kelly was a ballsy decision :oops:

Watch the replay, he literally has JK and Ryan calling for it in the clear to his right...

And he goes a flying shot, turning off a couple steps kicking it around/between a couple defenders. Could've been touched, smothered, or missed.

Massive moment :fire:
Massive goal :fire:
Massive erection :eggplant: (missus laughs)

I actually thought JK was pointing at the goals saying kick it.

But yes JK and Ryan were there to use.

Only just sneaked past being smothered.

To be fair, so did ours after the bulldogs loss.

Saints really should not have lost that. We only had two midfielders of any quality - saints should have tagged the sh*t out of them and won.

They also had the same number of scoring shots but missing sitters cost them dearly.

Would have been frustrating as hell watching that as a saints supporter.

This!

Saints have gone all in on their new recruits. And they need to start seeing results to keep their members engaged during this difficult financial time.

Not being able to beat an Eagles outfit with 7-8 of their best players out was a huge blow.

Plenty of posters had been calling for Brayshaw to get a game and couldn't understand how he was continually being ignored by the match committee. I think we now know why. Your optimism is admirable.

Where was Brayshaw played?

It looked moee forward than on ball. I didnt seehim in any centre bounces but what 1st gamer does.

He put on some pressure and got 5 touches. He looked like he had won a game based on injuries to others in what may be his one and only AFL game.

I actually thought JK was pointing at the goals saying kick it.

But yes JK and Ryan were there to use.

Only just sneaked past being smothered.
I could be wrong but I remember him kicking a few like that one for Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back