Review Positives & Negatives V Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Arguably better than the 2006 game in that it was such a weakened team. We were really scraping the bottom of the barrel last night whereas the 2006 team was strong although the comeback was bigger. Both in the top handful along with GF wins.

haha I was referring to the Geelong comeback this year. And I don't think either can compare to 2006, that was something that may never be topped in my lifetime, just like the thrill of the 2018 granny.

2020 Rd 17:
In: Brad Sheppard, Jackson Nelson, Tim Kelly, Jake Waterman, Jack Petruccelle, Hamish Brayshaw, Nic Naitanui, Brayden Ainsworth, Andrew Gaff, Jarrod Brander, Oscar Allen, Xavier O'Neill, Josh Rotham.

2018 GF:
Out: Lewis Jetta, Jack Redden, Elliot Yeo, Chris Maston, Mark Hutchings, Mark LeCras, Willie Rioli, Jamie Cripps, Scott Lycett, Luke Shuey, Dom Sheed, Daniel Venables, Nathan Vardy.

Thirteen changes. Thirteeen! Of the 'Outs' there's three players not at the club, one in limbo, and everyone else is either injured or unavailable. Some handy 'Ins' though.

I think that's probably a pretty standard rate of attrition 2 years after a flag.

We played a little differently in defense in that we didn't try to chip it around anywhere near as much as we usually do. Hurn in particular was launching his 50m+ bombs far more often than he usually does. We still struggled to get it out of defense but at least we were creating most of those 50/50 contests well outside our forward 50. I thought we played the conditions very well.

We played a little differently in defense in that we didn't try to chip it around anywhere near as much as we usually do. Hurn in particular was launching his 50m+ bombs far more often than he usually does. We still struggled to get it out of defense but at least we were creating most of those 50/50 contests well outside our forward 50. I thought we played the conditions very well.

As boring as it is, going long up the line generally suits us.

We all saw what happened last night when gov and JK tried to open things up through the middle. I think Hurn deserves credit here, he rarely bites off more than he can chew, in doubt he just bangs it long.

Ainsworth is coming along, a month or so ago I mentioned his poor body language, not looking like he really believed he belonged, slowly but surely you can see his confidence building and he is going for a bit more, getting a bit of praise from Simmo in the presser won't hurt either. Hopefully he will eventually take over Hutch's role as depth midfielder/tagger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He fought hard but just couldn't get any clean possession, which will come with experience and confidence, but he would be purely inside grunt.

I saw him break some tackles in the thick of it a few times, and saw him get involved plenty of times around the ball in the 4th which told me he can handle it. Hell of a game to play for your 1st in the midfield, getting used to AFL pace when your pace is not a strength.

If Simmo goes in majority unchanged vs NM (if Sheed is not available, and Ah Chee for Gov) and they win again the confidence the <10 gamers would get would be great for their development.

Not sure your pace argument stacks up. Everybody's first game in the AFL will be a step up in pace, whether you're slow or not. If you are indeed slow then making it at that level will be just that much harder. If he's slow in less than ideal conditions then a dry, fast Optus Stadium track doesn't bode well.

Last edited:
Not sure your pace argument stacks up. Everybody's first game in the AFL will be a step up in pace, whether you're slow or not. If you are indeed slow then making it at that level will be just that much harder. If he's slow in less than ideal conditions then a dry, fast Optus Stadium track doesn't bode well.

If Patrick Cripps played in our team, he would probably be the slowest person in our team, which is not particularly quick to begin with.

I'm not saying Hamish will be the next Patrick Cripps, but I think judging a player by what they don't do well is pretty short sighted.

Hamish has obvious limitations, but every player has strengths and weaknesses. Who knows how he will develop. No reason why he can't become inside contested ball beast.

Negative:
- Injuries, but hoping this can build some character. Pressure makes diamonds, right?
- As awesome as Flyin' is playing, can't help but think we're being robbed of seeing some Flyin' Willie magic! Hope he's back in '21!

I
The 2017 draft was great for us no doubt and this year would be very hard to develop thats why i have patience with Brander and Ainers.
Petch has some outstanding qualities but his disposal, decision making and skill execution needs alot of work not sure he will be able to develop them to AFL level

Petch hasn’t developed them to WAFL level.

Sainters board melted hard last night.

Crikey.

Was at the game and sitting next to an absolute campaigner group of saints fans. They spent the whole game whinging about the umps before slagging off their own players in the 4th.

They also laughed at Gov when he went off injured.

Pretty goddamn satisfying seeing them * off out the stadium after the Allen goal.

Wasn't that just simulated crowd noise? And because they were the home team it was played a bit louder than when they played it for us?

I figured they just had mics located in the sections that were open to the public.

Was at the game - thought numbers seemed relatively even, though saints fans were prob a bit more vocal than ours.

Some more stats for those that care.

Hurn gained only 3 metres less than Kelly, from 13 fewer disposals.

Gaff lead the game with ground ball gets with 12.

Barrass had 14 spoils to go with his 4 intercept marks.

Petruccelle's kicking efficiency was 14% (not sticking the fork in, was glad to see him back to add some shut down pace, just interesting).

Gaff ran the equivalent of the length of the field 10 times more than the next closest player (Darling, which is a great effort in itself).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back