Game Day Port v Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Kingfish73

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Simple, we win and top 2 a near lock. A number of players trying to cement their positions leading into finals - Bonner (cough), Ebert, Ladhams, Farrell, Motlop and to a certain extent Marshall. Heading to game after my last attendance being the Tigers win. Anything close to that performance will be entertaining but expect an ugly slog in the wet. But we have plenty of game time experience last few years in wet, so should suit our inside mids.

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Simple, we win and top 2 a near lock. A number of players trying to cement their positions leading into finals - Bonner (cough), Ebert, Ladhams, Farrell, Motlop and to a certain extent Marshall. Heading to game after my last attendance being the Tigers win. Anything close to that performance will be entertaining but expect an ugly slog in the wet. But we have plenty of game time experience last few years in wet, so should suit our inside mids.

We live in the best of times. We live in the worst of times.

Never before in known history has a generation had so much insight into the deeds of the past. In a quick google we can discover facts about our ancestors (as far back as the 1600's in my case). The urge to discover these things grows stronger as you get older, and our birds eye view on history has never been clearer.

But in looking back on history, we discover that 1000 small decisions shape our paths, those split second decisions that can decide your career, your spouse, your children, your life and your success. The paths we take are for the most part a series of these small decisions, the consequences of which only become truly clear over time.

Back in February, a world away, this was never more obvious than at the 150 year dinner. While I watched it from afar online, there was no doubting its tone. That dinner was a strong reminder of what Port Adelaide means to many of us, the confidence, the success, the never say die attitude, and how that success brings with it opportunities.

A glance at the 2004 premiership photo highlights that opportunity. So many of the players in that photo have had great success either within coaching, or in media, or other endeavours. How much of that was enabled by winning that premiership is unknown, but it certainly helped.

Today the 22 that take the field in our colours are in an unique position. In a year that prevents many from playing at home, a win today guarantees us two home finals. With the exception of Brisbane, no one else can do that. And no other side has as much control of its fate as we do today. A win today doesn't give you a premiership, but a win today allows for decisions to be made to maximise the chance of that happening.

When the final siren goes, I'll be thinking of two people in particular, Travis Boak and Robbie Gray. A win today will give them the greatest possible opportunity to be known to their children as AFL premiership players. Of course it will do the same for others, but others will get more chances. These two in particular have made decisions to remain at the club when others may have found the lure away too attractive. Nothing would make me happier than for them to get a win today.

And so here we are, in the best of times, the worst of times, waiting to observe the split second decisions that can have ramifications for generations to come. We are fortunate to support a club that has given opportunity to so many, but like a parent observing the decisions made by their children, you can only do so much. At some point you need to take a step back and hope that those making the effort appreciate the opportunity in front of them.

Go Ports.

Last edited:

Powertron

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Essendon tend to run one way and lack effort when it’s going against them. Add Hooker, Hurley & Heppel going out of their side and we should flog them tonight.

ports by >36pts.

davesnothere

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Bombers just get numbers back but we should be able to hold it inside 50 although if it does out Daniher is going to look pretty good.

Can see it being an 8 goals 23 points to 2 gaols 2 game if the rain comes.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
I know its a fair while till game time, but looking at the weather radar at 7am, a lot of that rain band seems to be travelling South of Adelaide.
The hour by hour forecast expects the bit that'll hit Adelaide to roll in around 3pm, so they've probably expected that first part to miss Adelaide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
The opening sentence of the post needs to be edited. A win today wins a Top 2 finish- not nearly- fully, finally and certainly.

As Interstater so passionately put, that doesn’t win you a premiership- but you cannot achieve more in a home and away season. Any greater performance brings only illusory prizes. Top 2 is the sh!t.

A win today gives us 3 weeks to get over this achievement and focus on the next challenge - two home finals at the Adelaide Oval for the first time since the 60s.

With such a great prize on offer today, this is really a final for us. We have found ways to lose such opportunities in the recent past. The likely weather will make this a scrap- a battle of wills more than a battle of skills.

That is why I’ll be looking hard at the performance of every player today while the game is there to be won. Who has determination to make sure we win? Who will put every on the line to make sure we grab this opportunity?

Carn Port!

We live in the best of times. We live in the worst of times.

Never before in known history has a generation had so much insight into the deeds of the past. In a quick google we can discover facts about our ancestors (as far back as the 1600's in my case). The urge to discover these things grows stronger as you get older, and our birds eye view on history has never been clearer.

But in looking back on history, we discover that 1000 small decisions shape our paths, those split second decisions that can decide your career, your spouse, your children, your life and your success. The paths we take are for the most part a series of these small decisions, the consequences of which only become truly clear over time.

Back in February, a world away, this was never more obvious than at the 150 year dinner. While I watched it from afar online, there was no doubting its tone. That dinner was a strong reminder of what Port Adelaide means to many of us, the confidence, the success, the never say die attitude, and how that success brings with it opportunities.

A glance at the 2004 premiership photo highlights that opportunity. So many of the players in that photo have had great success either within coaching, or in media, or other endeavours. How much of that was enabled by winning that premiership is unknown, but it certainly helped.

Today the 22 that take the field in our colours are in an unique position. In a year that prevents many from playing at home, a win today guarantees us two home finals. With the exception of Brisbane, no one else can do that. And no other side has as much control of its fate as we do today. A win today doesn't give you a premiership, but a win today allows for decisions to be made to maximise the chance of that happening.

When the final siren goes, I'll be thinking of two people in particular, Travis Boak and Robbie Gray. A win today will give them the greatest possible opportunity to be known to their children as AFL premiership players. Of course it will do the same for others, but others will get more chances. These two in particular have made decisions to remain at the club when others may have found the lure away too attractive. Nothing would make me happier than for them to get a win today.

And so here we are, in the best of times, the worst of times, waiting to observe the split second decisions that can have ramifications for generations to come. We are fortunate to support a club that has given opportunity to so many, but like a parent observing the decisions made by their children, you can only do so much. At some point you need to take a step back and hope that those making the effort appreciate the opportunity in front of them.

Go Ports.
Amazing words.. here here

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
Win today, and we will have given ourselves the best chance of success in the finals. That is what the regular season is all about.

But we have to win today, no ifs or buts about it.

My only concern is that the weather keeps the game close allowing essendon to possibly pinch it. Otherwise we really should have them covered. Good practice for the finals with Daniher in the forward line as well.

Only 2 games before finals, playing an average side.

I want a ruthless 4 quarter performance.

So you'll know we will win by 4 points after scoring 6 goals for the whole game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back