TommyD13

Premiership Player
Jul 31, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Adelaide United Southampton
Got to this position much quicker than I thought we would, having it in our own hands. Nice to know that we won't have to be running through many scenarios if we beat Hawthorn this week!

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Best results Round 17

We beat hawks by a big margin say 60 pts plus.

GWS beat dees by say 1-6 Pts This eliminates the dees who should beat the bombers and they have a lot of percentage on us.

GC beats pies highly unlikely.

This would gives us a percentage buffer over GWS and if the saints beat GWS we could make it on percentage even if we lose to Freo.

Seems to be an Australian expression, related to harness racing where the trotter (or pacer?) gets into a rhythm and takes up any slack in the harness (the straps). But I don't think anyone is 100% sure that's the correct etymology. It is unheard of in the US but may have entered UK English.

I think it may stem back to horse and cart days rather than harness racing.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
So it seems we will either play Collingwood, GWS or the Saints if we make finals. Who would you all prefer to play?

Without a doubt GWS. We seem to match up poorly against both Collingwood and the Saints. We've been smashed by the Saints in our last two encounters and it feels like it's been at least a few years since we last beat Collingwood. We smashed GWS earlier this year so we'll be confident that the bullying tactics won't work on us again. Also, I just love beating GWS in finals.

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So it seems we will either play Collingwood, GWS or the Saints if we make finals. Who would you all prefer to play?
I would prefer either GWS or StK, both are in poorish form so we'd have a reasonable chance.

We all remember our last final against GWS, the memories aren't quite as fresh for that floppy Nick prelim, but that one cut deep.

A chance for revenge against either would be most welcomed.

Collingwood are a tougher foe, prefer to avoid.

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Seems to be an Australian expression, related to harness racing where the trotter (or pacer?) gets into a rhythm and takes up any slack in the harness (the straps). But I don't think anyone is 100% sure that's the correct etymology. It is unheard of in the US but may have entered UK English.

I copped the strap a bit, as well as the cane, having spent my primary years in both Vic and NSW. The two jurisdictions always have to be different to each other. It was a badge of honour for us kids. We used to compare our tally each term.

So did getting hit with the strap improve your demeanour over the years? You seem like a nice chap these days ... or are you still a bit of a prick?

And if so, which bit?
No, on second thoughts, I don't want to know.
We had the strap up to Grade 4, then the strap/cane combo in grade 5 and 6 depending on the severity of the offence and cane only from Grade 7 on. Fun times. Ahhh the memories. Ssshhhing everyone so we could hear the strokes and guage the likely sting/hurt factor from the crispness of the contact. Hoping that your assailant wasn't an accomplished squash or tennis player.

I remember my first year at secondary college, some guy, fcuk knows what he did but it must have been bad, was caned on a Monday morning in front of the entire school assembly. Six of the best from the headmaster, on stage in front of a live audience of about 1800 teachers and students. There was a special public caning apparatus that he bent over and held onto (was kind of an L shaped park bench) and was probably about a hundred years old. It was bizarre.

Can you imagine the uproar today. I don't recall any uproar at the time, just everyone being s**t scared that that could happen.

We had the strap up to Grade 4, then the strap/cane combo in grade 5 and 6 depending on the severity of the offence and cane only from Grade 7 on. Fun times. Ahhh the memories. Ssshhhing everyone so we could hear the strokes and guage the likely sting/hurt factor from the crispness of the contact. Hoping that your assailant wasn't an accomplished squash or tennis player.

I remember my first year at secondary college, some guy, fcuk knows what he did but it must have been bad, was caned on a Monday morning in front of the entire school assembly. Six of the best from the headmaster, on stage in front of a live audience of about 1800 teachers and students. There was a special public caning apparatus that he bent over and held onto (was kind of an L shaped park bench) and was probably about a hundred years old. It was bizarre.

Can you imagine the uproar today. I don't recall any uproar at the time, just everyone being sh*t scared that that could happen.

You have to pay for that these days 😜

Actually has to do with doing up the straps on your swag when you move on to find a new job. Hence hitting your straps, onwards
and upwards moving on to find opportunity.
Naah I saw that. Very improbable origin IMO.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades

It depends on who Collingwood get back. If they have Sidebottom, De Goey, Treloar and Howe returning which sounds like a chance then I’d like them the least.

I’d probably rather Saints of the three, but none of them are going particularly well and as it stands I’d back us to beat all three (although we’d struggle against full strength Pies).

I‘m very worried we’ll drop one of these last two. All the teams around us have been in similar positions and blown it, I really hope we’re not the same.

The advantage we have is that we were in the exact same position last year, although we were in much better touch, and we stood up and finished the job.

Can you imagine the uproar today. I don't recall any uproar at the time, just everyone being sh*t scared that that could happen.

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Who do we want/need to win between Melb & GWS?

GWS by a narrow margin takes the dees out of the equation, we beat the hawks by a fair bit and then we can still make it on percentage by losing to freo providing the saints beat GWS. If the dees beat GWS and the bombers then we would need to win both as the dees have superior percentage.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The reality is that we should beat both of Hawks and Freo, but Freo have cleaned their act up a lot lately.

They’ve generally beaten up on weak sides and had valiant losses against sides in our bracket, but the wins against Collingwood and Saints show that they can be dangerous on their day.

Hawks have had a good record against us recently (last year’s game was bad luck for them) but really if we’re serious about finals we should account for them easily this year.

Back