Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

1. she grew up in western australia
2. she grew up supporting West Coast
3. West Coast wanted her and attempted to court her to play for them

hope that answers your questions hun xx
She was always a Rugby player first, and went to Qld to pursue her Rugby ambitions.

She can also pursue her secondary AFL ambitions there.

She cannot in WA.

It's a draft. If who you support dictated where you play, Roux would be an Eagle. So the Eagles missed out on her no more than Freo did sweety.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

She was always a Rugby player first, and went to Qld to pursue her Rugby ambitions.

She can also pursue her secondary AFL ambitions there.

She cannot in WA.

It's a draft. If who you support dictated where you play, Roux would be an Eagle. So the Eagles missed out on her no more than Freo did sweety.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app
It's not a draft in this situation actually, as a second sport rookie she had the choice to sign where she wanted and she chose Brisbane.
And Freo didn't enter the race for her therefore they didn't miss out, unlike the Eagles who did, hope that clears it up for you darl xxx

She plays Rugby for Qld, so I dont know why you would think playing for Eagles was on the cards.
Jfc Jatz. A bit sensitive perhaps? WC courted Courtney hard and she went to Brisbane to play rugby (instead of AFLW) and now will play AFLW there as well.

If Freo went hard for a player and we lost out in similar circumstances I'd say 'ouch' for us as well.

Jfc Jatz. A bit sensitive perhaps? WC courted Courtney hard and she went to Brisbane to play rugby (instead of AFLW) and now will play AFLW there as well.

If Freo went hard for a player and we lost out in similar circumstances I'd say 'ouch' for us as well.
I dont know that they did though. Havent heard her name mentioned in at least 18 months. She was at the academy, but every talented young female gets invited, it was hardly a special honour for Courtney. People on BF were mentioning her name a lot, but the Eagles may have always known she was headed down the Rugby path first.

The Eagles selected Rosie Deegan last year, knowing short term she was going to focus on Basketball. That they didn't select Courtney suggests she hasn't been on their radar for 2 years or so.

Its like people are now assuming the focus will be on Dowrick, and Davison, but that might not be their intention at all, its an assumption made of not much, and them not ending up at the Eagles would be less an issue of them not getting who they wanted, and more an issue of BF collectively misreading the situation.

I dont know that they did though. Havent heard her name mentioned in at least 18 months. She was at the academy, but every talented young female gets invited, it was hardly a special honour for Courtney. People on BF were mentioning her name a lot, but the Eagles may have always known she was headed down the Rugby path first.

The Eagles selected Rosie Deegan last year, knowing short term she was going to focus on Basketball. That they didn't select Courtney suggests she hasn't been on their radar for 2 years or so.

Its like people are now assuming the focus will be on Dowrick, and Davison, but that might not be their intention at all, its an assumption made of not much, and them not ending up at the Eagles would be less an issue of them not getting who they wanted, and more an issue of BF collectively misreading the situation.
lol - triggered much?

The East Freo v Swans game looks a cracker. Only 3 points in it. East Freo hold on they make finals and push Claremont out. Swans win, they push to 2nd on ladder.

Goal scorers: O'Sullivan, Williams, Sharp, Morrison, Catalano, MHyde

Should have gone to watch it :( Wish it were streamed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two things that amaze me. One, how West Coast Girls is pretty incomplete and two, how Tester has got character not being bitter.

I thought she was ok in the Derby, better than the majority of the weagles girls.

No major surprises with the WA invitees for the AFLW National Combine (except Nyra Anderson)... I'll be shocked if our draftees don't all come from this list.

Sarah Verrier - Peel Thunder
Shanae Davison - Swan Districts
Isabella Lewis - Claremont
Mikayla Morrison - Swan Districts
Abbey Dowrick - Subiaco
Roisin Walsh - East Fremantle
Jess Low - Claremont
Maggie MacLachlan - Subiaco
Ella Smith - Claremont
Brianna Hyde - Swan Districts
Mikayla Hyde - Swan Districts
Sarah Wielstra - Swan Districts

No major surprises with the WA invitees for the AFLW National Combine (except Nyra Anderson)... I'll be shocked if our draftees don't all come from this list.

Sarah Verrier - Peel Thunder
Shanae Davison - Swan Districts
Isabella Lewis - Claremont
Mikayla Morrison - Swan Districts
Abbey Dowrick - Subiaco
Roisin Walsh - East Fremantle
Jess Low - Claremont
Maggie MacLachlan - Subiaco
Ella Smith - Claremont
Brianna Hyde - Swan Districts
Mikayla Hyde - Swan Districts
Sarah Wielstra - Swan Districts
Could you list from best to worst?

Could you list from best to worst?
Shanae Davison / Abbey Dowrick
Mikayla Morrison
Sarah Verrier (admittedly based on seeing her play last year as I haven't seen much of her this year)
Mikayla Hyde / Isabella Lewis
Brianna Hyde
Roisin Walsh
Maggie McLachlan

I'd be happy with any of the top 6 (sorry Brianna). And expecting we'll take 3 from that group. Was thinking Nyra Anderson was also in the mix but with us grabbing Tarnee Tester and McMahon ok to continue playing I'm not so sure anymore. Good news is we need some young mids coming through and 5 of those top 6 are midfielders (all with versatility).

Jess Low and Ella Smith are 20 year olds. I was half expecting Low to get taken last year. Both solid players but neither are going to be superstars like Davison and Dowrick could become. Sarah Wielstra is 25 and a tall (Walsh the only other one in that group) - they'd be behind our existing talls imo so doubtful we'd take either.

Shanae Davison / Abbey Dowrick
Mikayla Morrison
Sarah Verrier (admittedly based on seeing her play last year as I haven't seen much of her this year)
Mikayla Hyde / Isabella Lewis
Brianna Hyde
Roisin Walsh
Maggie McLachlan

I'd be happy with any of the top 6 (sorry Brianna). And expecting we'll take 3 from that group. Was thinking Nyra Anderson was also in the mix but with us grabbing Tarnee Tester and McMahon ok to continue playing I'm not so sure anymore. Good news is we need some young mids coming through and 5 of those top 6 are midfielders (all with versatility).

Jess Low and Ella Smith are 20 year olds. I was half expecting Low to get taken last year. Both solid players but neither are going to be superstars like Davison and Dowrick could become. Sarah Wielstra is 25 and a tall (Walsh the only other one in that group) - they'd be behind our existing talls imo so doubtful we'd take either.
Thanks

Would you say West Coast doesn't have a massive advantage in the draft?

Good to hear that the top group are midfielders because I always felt we lacked depth in that area.

Thanks

Would you say West Coast doesn't have a massive advantage in the draft?

Good to hear that the top group are midfielders because I always felt we lacked depth in that area.
They get to pick first each round so they have an advantage but they also need quality talls and there are simply none in this draft. Their first pick is key. I think they need to pick Dowrick because they could build the whole forward line around her for the next decade but it must be pretty tempting for them to pick Davison given what she's shown in WAFLW this year. If WC focus on the future (not the present) they'll do ok out of this draft - could set them up really well for a few years time.

They get to pick first each round so they have an advantage but they also need quality talls and there are simply none in this draft. Their first pick is key. I think they need to pick Dowrick because they could build the whole forward line around her for the next decade but it must be pretty tempting for them to pick Davison given what she's shown in WAFLW this year. If WC focus on the future (not the present) they'll do ok out of this draft - could set them up really well for a few years time.
Dowrick is a small/medium forward? Can we play midfield on a part time bases?

If West Coast go Davison, then it's a no brainer with Dowrick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back