Play Nice Which club has the biggest supporter base? Collingwood, Richmond or West Coast?

Which club has the biggest supporter base?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yippy Yi Yeo

Premiership Player
Jul 10, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I have been 5 times now and each time I have got a corporate package, around $3800.00 per package which includes flights, accommodation for 2 nights, match tickets and a lunch or breakfast or an after game event.
We normally stay an extra night or two so with spending money it can be a 5K plus weekend per head doing it this way.
Probably a dumb question but how do you go about buying those usually?

mcfazza28

Senior List
Jul 16, 2011
London
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Fulham
I have chosen to pay it so it's not like I didn't have a choice. Could of stayed home and watched. Have enjoyed every time I have been and it's a great event.
I have seen the Eagles win 2, Geelong win 1, Sydney win 1 and a draw. All been good games.
I have been to Augusta national for the US masters and that was a 14K plus cost.
The only thing i will say is that the AFL are scalping through corporate packages. Remove flights and accommodation and a corporate land package is around $1500. Thats a ticket to the game and a breakfast, lunch or post game event. Thats is scalping at its highest order because the face value for the ticket to the game is $250 and no event is put on in that weekend is worth more than $300 per head.
But again it's my choice.
My Son is 9 and has just started asking if we can go to the Champions League Final at Wembley in 2023. I am scared! Just getting a ticket would be a miracle. I nearly paid the money for the Europa League final in Hamburg in 2010 when Fulham made it but chickened out and we lost in the 116 minute of extra time!

My only AFL GF was the poxy Waverley one! I lived in London for the 2005 Ashes and couldn't get a ticket to that either!

Slightly envious of your successful finals endeavours but also happy you got a great experience.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
My Son is 9 and has just started asking if we can go to the Champions League Final at Wembley in 2023. I am scared! Just getting a ticket would be a miracle. I nearly paid the money for the Europa League final in Hamburg in 2010 when Fulham made it but chickened out and we lost in the 116 minute of extra time!

My only AFL GF was the poxy Waverley one! I lived in London for the 2005 Ashes and couldn't get a ticket to that either!

Slightly envious of your successful finals endeavours but also happy you got a great experience.

It really is not difficult getting corporate packages as long as you book it before the finals. Much harder if you are waiting to see who is in it.
I always work on that if I think the Eagles could possibly make the GF in June then I will book. But really doesn’t matter who is in it.
The US masters is the greatest event I have ever been to.

Sea fog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Richmond has easily the most number of fans now. The Eagles would be right up there too. The Pies used to have the most but don't have nearly as many these days. So many of dropped off because of our modern history of mediocrity. So the sons and daughters of Collingwood fans tend to barrack for other clubs these days. Lots of people don't follow footy anymore because of the alternative entertainment.

mcfazza28

Senior List
Jul 16, 2011
London
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Fulham
It really is not difficult getting corporate packages as long as you book it before the finals. Much harder if you are waiting to see who is in it.
I always work on that if I think the Eagles could possibly make the GF in June then I will book. But really doesn’t matter who is in it.
The US masters is the greatest event I have ever been to.

I don't need a travel agent as I stupidly neglected to mention that I do live in London! It's just tickets are normally ballot or package and I don't need a hotel!

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Richmond has easily the most number of fans now. The Eagles would be right up there too. The Pies used to have the most but don't have nearly as many these days. So many of dropped off because of our modern history of mediocrity. So the sons and daughters of Collingwood fans tend to barrack for other clubs these days. Lots of people don't follow footy anymore because of the alternative entertainment.

Attendances and memberships are form and premiership driven. Membership numbers are a particularly odd thing to bank on given how loose the definition of member is these days. Attendance is inherently a form driven idea which is out the window this season in any case. Pies support likely dormant not gone, to rise again when the flag comes around next time.

If you want evidence of this look at the rise in members when reduced access figures were included with the main membership numbers after 2011, look at the rise in Collingwood members after their flag in 2010, Hawthorn members after 2008 and Richmond members after 2017, as well as the drop off in Lions members after 2004.

coll-haw-rich-members.png

HAPPY BUDDHA

🤣🤣🤣
10k Posts
Oct 2, 2018
Scarborough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Royals
Not to have a go but I don't understand how people can support clubs from a different state (unless you moved states); whats that all about? Support where you come from is my view.
You only come from there because of your parents.
What if you don’t like where you come from or don’t like your parents’ club..??

Do the Dew

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2019
Stuart Dew's Gut
AFL Club
Richmond
I dare say that most of these results are only slightly Covoid related. A lot of the decreases (and increases) were predetermined before the season started and COVID hit. I know in Port's case, the 5000 or so we are down were pretty much all caused by Hinkley fatigue and were down on the Feb/March period last year.
Good point. I wonder what percentage of supporters (having already bought a membership) opted to get a refund. I still think covid plays some part in this though considering that 8/10 Vic clubs (with the exception of Carlton and St. Kilda) decreased in memberships. The potential for good on-field results definitely boosted Carlton and St. Kilda.

What a delicious melt.

What you fail to realise is the Victorian wave will impact on Victorian economy and job market at a much greater level than in any other part of the country.

This will have impacts on Victorian clubs membership numbers next year and the year after.

Victorian clubs are lucky that 70% of members had signed up before COVID had hit. Otherwise 2020 numbers would have been far lower, and it is reasonable expectation that they will be lower next year.

I liked the part where all Richmond and Collingwood supporters are living on minimum wage lol
Eagles supporters getting off on the suffering of Victorians. Colour me surprised.
Is there any level these to which nasty little parasites won't sink?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You only come from there because of your parents.
What if you don’t like where you come from or don’t like your parents’ club..??
NFI why any sane parent would let their kid support another club. I would expect any child to be disowned if they did that, it is only reasonable.

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That sounds like an only child, single, no kids type comment
Nice try at being a social analyst but wrong.
So you'd let your kids, if you have or will have any, support another club? You're passionate enough about your club to go on a footy forum so I'd doubt you would.

May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)
So you'd let your kids, if you have or will have any, support another club? You're passionate enough about your club to go on a footy forum so I'd doubt you would.
100% Definitely, if we ever move to Australia my little bloke can make up his own mind.

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Obvious who i support but the Wife supports Essendon and my 16 year old Son is a Geelong fan. We are a happy family.........most of the time. :)

Last edited:

HAPPY BUDDHA

🤣🤣🤣
10k Posts
Oct 2, 2018
Scarborough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Royals
NFI why any sane parent would let their kid support another club. I would expect any child to be disowned if they did that, it is only reasonable.
Yeah heaven forbid the kid ever have a mind of his own or learn to make a decision. 🤣😂

Move out of the stone age gramps.😅

Back