Preview Changes vs Hawks (Sunday 13/9 3.35pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep and that plan is to not let pick 3 slip away.

It’s so obvious that we are trying not to win, so I don’t think you have anything to worry about.
Yeah last i heard was that clarko had planned to put omeara and co on ice till next year

Hawks considering going young and inexperienced or Clarko playing games?

HAWTHORN will consider warehousing big-name trio Jaeger O'Meara, Jarman Impey and Jon Patton rather than risking further injury in the final two rounds.

Coach Alastair Clarkson, at least publicly, left the door ajar for all three of them to play again, depending on how they train between now and Sunday's clash with the Western Bulldogs.

However, Clarkson questioned whether it was "worth it" to play them, in the knowledge the Hawks were long ago out of finals contention.

Yep and that plan is to not let pick 3 slip away.

It’s so obvious that we are trying not to win, so I don’t think you have anything to worry about.
Honestly the best result here for you guys would be a <1 goal loss. Keeps you up the top end of the draft, while also showing you can remain competitive

Hawks considering going young and inexperienced or Clarko playing games?

HAWTHORN will consider warehousing big-name trio Jaeger O'Meara, Jarman Impey and Jon Patton rather than risking further injury in the final two rounds.

Coach Alastair Clarkson, at least publicly, left the door ajar for all three of them to play again, depending on how they train between now and Sunday's clash with the Western Bulldogs.

However, Clarkson questioned whether it was "worth it" to play them, in the knowledge the Hawks were long ago out of finals contention.
Not sure what youth they have available to bring in apart from maginess

Out: Hayes, Richards, Bruce
In: Lipinski, Suckling, Schache

B: Gardner - Keath - Crozier
HB: Daniel - Cordy - Johannisen

R: English - Dunkley - Bontempelli
C: B. Smith - Macrae - Hunter

HF: McLean - Schache - Suckling
F: Wallis - Naughton - Lloyd

I: Williams - Liberatore - Lipinski - R. Smith

Probably making more changes than what we likely will.

Not fussed on Hayes out, Lipinski in. Think Lipinski offers a little more, can trust him to hit targets and seems to be dominating the scratch matches since he was dropped.

Still a big fan of Richards but he’s clearly struggling in the hf/wing role and it is probably time for him to move out. Haven’t always liked Suckling in that role either but I think he played well there earlier in the year against Essendon, and think he can offer more with his kicking.

Bruce’s effort was better on the weekend at least but he is so far out of form that he shouldn’t possibly be getting games. One goal in five weeks and is running under uncontested marks and dropping chesties now. Can’t see how Schache will offer less and don’t know why he hasn’t had the opportunity.

Wouldn’t have Lloyd in either to be honest but we need to stop bringing forwards in for one game or two and then swapping them out, so he stays in on that basis. Form hasn’t been good all year. Hopefully with this opportunity, he has a good last month and can finish the year on a real high note.

Gardner and Bruce aren't going anywhere after listening to Bevo's presso.

He takes a little dig as well
What our expertise is in what we think we see and what the experts actually see are two different things. Bevo talks about the goals Gardner saved against Gold Coast is the difference in finals. Our emotions get in the way, I think. Except myself of course. :rolleyes:

What our expertise is in what we think we see and what the experts actually see are two different things. Bevo talks about the goals Gardner saved against Gold Coast is the difference in finals. Our emotions get in the way, I think. Except myself of course. :rolleyes:
That’s fine - we aren’t privy to the internal workings of the footy club so Luke has a dig at supporters calling for Gardner and Bruce to be dropped, but I (as a supporter) want to know why we are so quick to discard Schache and Le Young, yet we give these 2 endless opportunities to find some form.

I am pleased that Gardner is showing a bit, but why are these guys untouchable compared to others ? Tell us what Schache, Young, Lipinski, Trengrove, Sweet need to do to earn their spot.

Not sure about the highlight of your AFL career being standing on the mark really diligently ?

How is it going to damage our chances of winning by explaining that Sweet (for example), needs to work on his endurance and decision making before he is AFL ready rather than ‘he is not AFL ready, next question’ or Schache needs some more grunt and find more of the ball rather than Brucey is not hitting the scoreboard but we love his effort and Schache is behind him in the selection mix right now ?

It just provides a bit of perspective as to what they value in some guys so they are given more opportunities and what the guys that aren’t getting selected need to work on. We as supporters would be more balanced in our observations if Luke and the club provided more feedback on individuals.

Bevo certainly pumped up Gardner’s tyres, and at length - “a diamond in the rough”? Wow. Hope he hasn’t been reading Bigfooty... 🥴

How hard would it be to rig up a microphone next to the computer where I assume the media are on Zoom? It’s extremely annoying not to be able to hear the questions.

Bevo certainly pumped up Gardner’s tyres, and at length - “a diamond in the rough”? Wow. Hope he hasn’t been reading Bigfooty... 🥴

How hard would it be to rig up a microphone next to the computer where I assume the media are on Zoom? It’s extremely annoying not to be able to hear the questions.

Yeah heard that he must be watching a different game to me. I think it was more comment because there is some many people in the media and supporters who question is selection.

That’s fine - we aren’t privy to the internal workings of the footy club so Luke has a dig at supporters calling for Gardner and Bruce to be dropped, but I (as a supporter) want to know why we are so quick to discard Schache and Le Young, yet we give these 2 endless opportunities to find some form.

I am pleased that Gardner is showing a bit, but why are these guys untouchable compared to others ? Tell us what Schache, Young, Lipinski, Trengrove, Sweet need to do to earn their spot.

Not sure about the highlight of your AFL career being standing on the mark really diligently ?

How is it going to damage our chances of winning by explaining that Sweet (for example), needs to work on his endurance and decision making before he is AFL ready rather than ‘he is not AFL ready, next question’ or Schache needs some more grunt and find more of the ball rather than Brucey is not hitting the scoreboard but we love his effort and Schache is behind him in the selection mix right now ?

It just provides a bit of perspective as to what they value in some guys so they are given more opportunities and what the guys that aren’t getting selected need to work on. We as supporters would be more balanced in our observations if Luke and the club provided more feedback on individuals.

Zero chance any club will make public the conversations they have with players regarding development and form.
Probably a bit of a stretch thinking they should do so.

Big danger game, these are the ones we notoriously stuff up. Hawthorn afford to win without moving above Sydney. Clarko is a psychological genius, he will have them up. Having said that our best is good enough against anyone so its a simple equation.

In's and outs seem to be just a rotation of the 20-28 players on the list, so any of R Smith, Hayes, Lloyd or Richards out. Any of Lipinski, Dale, Schache or Suckling in. (Would love Dureya to come in but the backline hasn't been the problem lately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't mind that and to be fair Gardner has been more than adequate the last 2 games. Two of the more vaunted forwards in the game, Hawkins and Kennedy, have not had too much influence and he's been part of the system that curbed them.

Don't mind that and to be fair Gardner has been more than adequate the last 2 games. Two of the more vaunted forwards in the game, Hawkins and Kennedy, have not had too much influence and he's been part of the system that curbed them.

He was good against West Coast but spent most of his time on Rohan in the Geelong game who tore us a new one.

Little extra mayo Snarls. Rohan was given a bath for 3 qtrs, then finished on a high with 2gls from 10 disposals.

I’m pretty sure only one of those goals was kicked on Gards as well.

Maybe a little. Did get a coaches vote

And yeah the second goal was from a goal assist from Macrae which he couldn’t do anything about

Sometimes I feel that supporters hope that some player play bad so the they can say " I told you so".... no doubt gardner was not good on in first few games, but lets be onest he is improving, so let's hope he will improve again and become the defender that we need ...

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Gardner will become a third tall at best, which Cordy is. Would be good depth though.

The fact that Gardner was variously played forward and back (and was even rucking in the VFL team for like up to a third of the games he was playing) pretty much dismisses a lot of what Bevo says. It wasn't some sort of big brain play where he's critical to our defensive structure and irreplacable and he was always going to play the one and only role from Bevo, but rather, it's like throwing 20 darts at the dartboard, having one land in the bullseye, removing all the 19 other darts and saying "see, I was right".

It's that Bevo liked him as a player to the ignorance of others' opinion and the actual, horrendous performance of his AFL games (v St Kilda this year, the fact that he got literally 2 disposals in a game up forward v Carlton last year one which was a dodgy free etc.) and now he's played some not-horrible games after being given too much of a leash and trialled in different positions, Bevo's holding the moral high ground which you really don't get.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back