Autopsy vs Fremantle - Rd 17 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Meh.

I switched off just after half time.

Roll on the end of the year.

We look spent. We look completely mentally fatigued.

Can anyone tell me.how many centre bounces Higgo attended?

He is our most senior midfielder. If things are pear shaped and he's not attending them then we're simply not focussed on winning or even stemming bleeding.

We need the end of season the way a horse with a broken leg needs a curtain.

We've got to restructure the team. A bunch of blokes gone, a bunch of kids and whatever other value we can get in.

We need to restructure the footy dept.

We need to change up whoever oversaw such woeful injuries.

There is a lot to be done. A lot.

Hopefully marketing drops the 'never beaten' crap because absolutely beaten is exactly what we have been for the past month.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I never understood why we took what was a nice little anecdote about an old lady who loved us and made a thing of it.

I said it in the Shaw thread but I think what we saw today was simply a snowball effect. Too many inexperienced kids in key posts, too many players with little conditioning returning from injury, too little availability in general, too many senior players playing outside of their preferred position, and everyone playing with the knowledge that the year is almost over and that we're not *truly* trying our best to win anyway. Add it all up and you get a bunch of tired and not very highly motivated blokes who can see the end of the season on the horizon, meaning that they don't run as hard, their skills aren't as sharp, team first aspects get ignored, and generally we just look like a rabble.

I agree with the gameplan critiques, it isn't helping, but it's hard for me to say how much of it is purely the gameplan and how much of it is which players are in which roles (Higgins on a wing vs Higgins in the guts, Walker forward etc).

I'm not panicking yet though. It's been said to death, by me more than most, but this year has been unique in it's challenges. I'll make the decision on whether to get the knives for the coach at some stage next year, after Brady get's his first few touches on the list and we've got a handful or 'regular' games under our belts. Granted Shaw hasn't done much to impress me, but I don't find such calls as "we should pay him out and replace him right now because he's ******* s**t" to be in any way justified.

I know it's easy right now, but I am so worried about Shaw's ability to coach. Really - today we were a shambles. Hard to take any positives out of the game at all. The players looked like a club with no accountability. I hope to god we are tanking then at least there would be an explanation. But we didn't even give a yelp. We didn't even look like we were challenging. Might just be the worst North team I have ever seen. Thats sad.

I do feel a little sorry because he lacks key player types most clubs have several options of but I also think he is not doing enough when the obvious kinks are exposed. Whether he just feels it isn’t the right time, don’t know, but the midfield is one of those areas that really hasn’t had a lot of creativity in its construction and we get the same results. If we don’t look like improving by Rd 10, I would be NFL like and terminate him

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Pretty much no positives this week, lmac played well, garner didn't get injured, couple of flashes from LDU, everything else sucked.

Insipid effort from the team in Goldy's milestone. Yeah, they're a better team than us, but 10 goals better? Thats down to lack of workrate.

The team is on low morale who wouldn't be, with contract ending for over half of the team not sewn up, the majority of the team is planning for the next club or next step in life. The vibe will be negative because you just know that at least a dozen players pretty much have writting on the walls and the other half gone when their contract expires next year. When you have like 20 players out of 40 who will be gone in 18 months time. In my previous job, 70 left in 2 years. Also, the list size will be reduce to 36 so we need to cut the list to the leanest.

Imagine landing the dream job of being an AFL Footballer, and turning up to a game with the attitude and effort of someone working a late night shift at McDonald’s. We don’t expect you to win every week, but for * sake. At least try to. There are supporters who would busted their guts out for Goldy today.

Just saw the presser. That's a bloke out of his depth. Rhyce as head coach of an AFL team this year is "like a chimp with a machine gun"
I think he really is screaming for a mentor . Someone to bounce ideas off & get some support from . I also think he has lost the older senior players support slightly too. That was shown today from the likes of our most senior most reliable players which I never expected. Think we need to forget 2020 very quick , take a break & reload . We all know things can change very quick in footy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said it in the Shaw thread but I think what we saw today was simply a snowball effect. Too many inexperienced kids in key posts, too many players with little conditioning returning from injury, too little availability in general, too many senior players playing outside of their preferred position, and everyone playing with the knowledge that the year is almost over and that we're not *truly* trying our best to win anyway. Add it all up and you get a bunch of tired and not very highly motivated blokes who can see the end of the season on the horizon, meaning that they don't run as hard, their skills aren't as sharp, team first aspects get ignored, and generally we just look like a rabble.

Great post.

There has been so many things that have either gone wrong or we've made the wrong move they've compounded on each other.

TBH against West Coast I legit wouldn't give a s**t if we ran beer instead of water. In fact it'd probably make it more interesting.

I believe some of the problem stems from players with limited skills being gifted games for many years. There seems to have been no improvement in Wood, Atley, Dumont, MacMillan, Daw, Garner, Williams, Ahern, Tiurner and even Ziebel. Same mistakes week in week out. Then we recruit Hall, Tyson, Polec, Bonar who also become fill in players.
It’s going to be a big job fixing this wreck.
Get rid of all of them! Then we may see change!

I really can't wait until the end of season review has taken place. There needs to be some real honesty shown by many of the players who have been on our list for a number of years, the captain included. He must be incredibly frustrated that he can no longer play to his lofty standards, but he has to be realistic. We also have so many list cloggers that must be moved on. While I am talking about honesty, the coach must also take stock and if he needs help or he can't do the job, the club must come first. There is no style of play evident, a severe lack of skills and application. North is by far the worst side currently playing in the league and unless there are some hard decisions made, we will be cellar dwellers for a number of years.

I miss being mid table so much.
The pain might feel worse now but in the grand scheme of things bottoming out for a couple of years will net us closer to building something resembling a contender in the long run, even if that does feel like its a whole galaxy away.

Being "brave old North" that punches above our weight to 9th-12th on the ladder with a butch of experienced, battling old heads leading the way will get us nowhere forever.

Speaking of which, what the fu** is up with the strength differentials between our players & opposition players of the same age?
This has driven me crazy for years. EVERY other club has bigger and stronger physiques than our blokes, it looks like. Other than a couple in Taz and BMac, plus obviously Maj, we are a team full of tuckshop lady arms. Terrible.

Last edited:
I don't think the coaches are helping themselves or the team when they are deliberately playing players out of position. It just saps confidence.
Bonar as a deep defender. When he should be around the ball, and has looked ok when he's been there.
Higgins on a wing or off half back, when he's arguably our best mid with better skills than most.
Walker forward when he's played his better footy as a defender.

Let’s be realistic here . We are clearly the worst side for 2020. I look at the crows play & I think to myself “ thank F### we played them at their weakest in the Goldie “
No doubt we are clearly the wooden spooners & worst team in the comp but the 2020 ladder will never show this

Let’s be realistic here . We are clearly the worst side for 2020. I look at the crows play & I think to myself “ thank F### we played them at their weakest in the Goldie “
No doubt we are clearly the wooden spooners & worst team in the comp but the 2020 ladder will never show this
Agreed, and by extension we might be one of the worst teams of the modern era, but what makes our 2020 so much crazier is that we hold the record for the highest score and biggest win this season! :tonguewink:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back