Review PORT v Essendon

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
M9tlop worked into the game in the end. Hopefully he can build on that.

Thought Karl was really sloppy with his disposal tonight. I know it was wet but expect better.

McKenzie had a few WTF moments.

Clurey on the Big gut still worries me

Bonner and Farrell are clearly the ones that make way for Butters and Burton.

Other than that a really solid performance.

Motlop needs to just believe in himself, that the harder you put in the more you'll be rewarded. And that the harder you go at the contest the less likely you'll get yourself hurt.

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Highlight of the game: video ump rocking and rolling footage of Motlop's goal for 2 minutes to see if there was a 1 pixel separation on the 320 x 240 video image while the reverse camera angle showed the ball sailing over the goal line by the length of Dixon's appendage.

So it was a close call then?

PORT ADELAIDE 1.2 6.7 7.13 11.13 (79)
ESSENDON 2.1 2.3 3.3 4.5 (29)

GOALS
Port Adelaide:
Dixon 2, Ladhams, Powell-Pepper, Ebert, Gray, Rockliff, Wines, Boak, Duursma, Motlop
Essendon: Parish, Clarke, Cutler, Ham

BEST
Port Adelaide:
Rockliff, Boak, Wines, Rozee, Amon, Gray, Bonner
Essendon: Ridley, Saad, Merrett, Smith, Parish

Rockliff best LOL

He was massive.

I’m a big defender of yours smiffy but I’m starting to doubt if you even football bruh

On Essendon: are Merrett and Shiel the most overrated and vanilla footballers or is it just seeming like that every time I watch them play?

And are stringer and townsend utter knobheads?

Shiel is good. Has not fired at Essendon though.

Then again. No one fires at Melbourne or Essendon

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I just keep having to check the ladder and pinch myself
4EA04E78-814A-48A9-9E4C-1F6F3CA1F06E.jpeg
4770AFBA-E82F-4BB6-B52D-A1B03EB68A0E.jpeg

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Shiel is good. Has not fired at Essendon though.

Then again. No one fires at Melbourne.

Someone like Shiel could be an out and out gun for us. We have Rocky, Wines and Boak doing the tight inside body work and someone like Shiel on the outside of the pack with his pace would be made to look like Danger or Dusty breaking out of a pack

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
For as good as Boak has been this year, Ollie has now been just as good really. He's had a monster season. I'd go as far as saying his best ever season now. After the last couple of years, its a wonderful turnaround.
I keep banging on about it but he’s really becoming a reliable goalkicking mid. Just keeps jagging goals.

He’s struggling big time really need him to step up in finals and nail a couple of goals.
I don’t like forwards that don’t kick goals.
His job isn’t to kick goals. That’s Dixon’s job. Marshall is our 2nd forward , our chf and he was working up the ground. He absolutely torched his opponent whoever the * he was couldn’t get within 30m of Marshall all night. He’s a huge reason why our forward line was so open tonight. Players were either drawn to dixon and ladhams or chasing Marshall up field.
On Essendon: are Merrett and Shiel the most overrated and vanilla footballers or is it just seeming like that every time I watch them play?

And are stringer and townsend utter knobheads?
I really like Merrett and Shiel as players but essendons complete refusal to go after a rocky or wines in and under type hasn’t helped them.

Motlop needs to just believe in himself, that the harder you put in the more you'll be rewarded. And that the harder you go at the contest the less likely you'll get yourself hurt.

Motlop, like all Motlops, needs to just do and not think.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
For some reason some teams seem to think they can get under SPP's skin and appear to target him. It never EVER achieves anything .The man is unflappable.

SPP <3

this reminded me of that game when someone was dragging him along the ground and he was arms folded smile on his face

Rockliff's "just get the ball and bang it over my shoulder in the right direction" approach - ugly as it is - continues to be effective, and will only be more effective given the likely conditions of the rest of the season.

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Maggies, Spurs, Raiders?
Rockliff's "just get the ball and bang it over my shoulder in the right direction" approach - ugly as it is - continues to be effective, and will only be more effective given the likely conditions of the rest of the season.

He will be very valuable at a slimey Gabba

We've been struggling to get clean clearances. The quick kicks work for us if we are set up for it.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I thought Bonner started disastrously with an OOF early, but it was like he flipped a switch late in the first and was then great for 3 quarters.

Marshall finishing negative on those ratings shows that those ratings suck. He was solid again and his role is vital. Having a mobile lead up target opens up so much moving forward and is a big reason for our ability to generate marks inside 50.

Boak and Wines are in elite form at the moment. Wines is having an enormous season. This is the player we all hoped he'd become.

Back 6 was elite as usual. To split the clearances pretty evenly, but keep them to 9 scoring shots is incredible. DBJ and Hartlett both in the top few on the ground again.

Great win in slippery conditions.

Windy Cindy

Premiership Player
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Good win in s**t conditions top 2 guaranteed, have a good hit out against Collingwood and then time to put the foot down

Loved dbj and Hartletts games

Need to kick straight

Need to nail early goals

Stringer is a flog

Daniher is at least the equal of stringer in floggedness

Back