Is GWS's premiership window about to close?

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
3 years ago they needed a small forward and a ruckman. And a coach. They would have a flag now.

How would the Giants had gone if Choco Williams had coached them? I believe they would have been a premiership team!
I can't believe they extended Camerons contract! Massive reshuffling needed!

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
How would the Giants had gone if Choco Williams had coached them? I believe they would have been a premiership team!
They kind of got the best of both worlds with Choco providing the skills training and mindset early which carried over with a decent game plan in 2016.

Every year since the skills, attitude and game plan have deteriorated.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Sheedy staying on 1 year too long really did set them back. He always should have been more mentor than coach.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
No way the window closes when they have good talls at both ends - Phil Davis and Taylor will be back, the forwards can't play any worse - and a gun midfield.

Kelly, Whitfield, Taranto, Hopper, Tom Green, there's too much talent there. Like Tom Green, wow, imagine having him not even a regular in the side.

They are primed to do a Richmond 2016-2017 eventually. But they need to have a trade period like the Tigers did and unearth some hidden gems from the draft. And the coaching changes. And the attitude changes.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Forget about Leon, do they resign Jeremy Cameron?

Seems like they are getting nothing more from him than they can get from Finlayson up the ground and Riccardi inside 50.

They need a proper key forward willing to stand under some packs.

I’m surprised his current contract and potential move hasn’t been at the forefront this year.

I know he’s almost the poster boy for GWS (huge probably undeserved contract, plays like a millionaire some weeks - others he might not even be out there) but re-signing him is going to have some serious long term ramifications. I doubt he’s going to be willing to take much of a pay cut, if at all, and GWS have much worse issues than their key forward stocks.

Maybe they need to actually plan for a more even forwardline and re-sign Findlayson instead, or offer someone like Casboult a 4-year contract to head up there.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Forget about Leon, do they resign Jeremy Cameron?

Seems like they are getting nothing more from him than they can get from Finlayson up the ground and Riccardi inside 50.

They need a proper key forward willing to stand under some packs.

I hope we can get Finlayson.

He and Riccardi would cost half of what Cameron is chasing. For double the output.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I’m surprised his current contract and potential move hasn’t been at the forefront this year.

I know he’s almost the poster boy for GWS (huge probably undeserved contract, plays like a millionaire some weeks - others he might not even be out there) but re-signing him is going to have some serious long term ramifications. I doubt he’s going to be willing to take much of a pay cut, if at all, and GWS have much worse issues than their key forward stocks.

Maybe they need to actually plan for a more even forwardline and re-sign Findlayson instead, or offer someone like Casboult a 4-year contract to head up there.
I think Casboult will sign for another year at Carlton, he's always a year to year man.

I wonder if Ben Brown at half the price could provide GWS with a proper full forward and then HH, Riccardi and Finlayson can be free to roam up the ground. A fit Brown would be better ruck support than anyone else as well.

Or if you want to really gamble we know Daniher has been keen to move to Sydney before. Go get him and let Jezza leave. That would be bold.

Maybe playing for a contract is hurting Cameron and the teams awful ball movement is hurting too, but geez he doesn't look anything like the player he was last year and seems to be in really bad habits.

Levi turns 31 in March next year. No chance he's getting a 4 year deal.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Levi turns 31 in March next year. No chance he's getting a 4 year deal.
I'd love for another club to offer him that.

Watched a bit of last quarter of GWS last night.
Do not know what their story is but right now, they have lost the plot.
They still got the most talented list right now but if they do not pull things around very soon, they are going to blow an enormous chance of premiership success early this decade.
They are not ruthless enough for a team with as much talent as they have.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
What I think our best 22 next year looks like:
Ash Davis Haynes
Williams Taylor Corr
Whitfield Cogs Kelly
Daniels Cameron Greene
Lloyd HH Hill
Briggs Hopper Taranto

Finlayson Green Perryman Ward

Close: Caldwell, Buckley, Idun, Hately, Flynn, Cumming, Riccardi, XOH, Keeffe, DeBoer

Obviously we’ll lose two or three - I’m tipping Corr, Hately, and maybe Williams. We’ll get some decent picks in return - maybe use to trade in a ruckman.

Just 2 players who are 30 in best 22. Great spread of age.

I hope everyone keeps talking about a window being shut - that will only drive them more.

All in all I think the list looks great. I think a part of the problem this year was cumulative fatigue. They’ve had a huge injury list over the last four years and still won finals. That’s bloody good considering they are a relatively young midfield. It showed this year when they thought they’d conserve energy and coast against Sydney, North and Adelaide.
Hopefully they get a good rest in the offseason and they’ll come back strong.

Just quietly, with Hill and Daniels in the forward line we have two bloody exciting little fellas to watch for the next ten years.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
What I think our best 22 next year looks like:
Ash Davis Haynes
Williams Taylor Corr
Whitfield Cogs Kelly
Daniels Cameron Greene
Lloyd HH Hill
Briggs Hopper Taranto

Finlayson Green Perryman Ward

Close: Caldwell, Buckley, Idun, Hately, Flynn, Cumming, Riccardi, XOH, Keeffe, DeBoer

Obviously we’ll lose two or three - I’m tipping Corr, Hately, and maybe Williams. We’ll get some decent picks in return - maybe use to trade in a ruckman.

Just 2 players who are 30 in best 22. Great spread of age.

I hope everyone keeps talking about a window being shut - that will only drive them more.

All in all I think the list looks great. I think a part of the problem this year was cumulative fatigue. They’ve had a huge injury list over the last four years and still won finals. That’s bloody good considering they are a relatively young midfield. It showed this year when they thought they’d conserve energy and coast against Sydney, North and Adelaide.
Hopefully they get a good rest in the offseason and they’ll come back strong.

Just quietly, with Hill and Daniels in the forward line we have two bloody exciting little fellas to watch for the next ten years.
If you believe the rumours Corr, Williams, Hately and Caldwell are all gonski.

Obviously Williams is the biggest loss there but the combination of Williams and Corr plus Shaw either being moved on or being very old is a concern for the backline, need to find some mature age replacements.

When's Briggs going to get a game? Surely should've played by now.

footy75

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
How is JeremyCameron payed so much money.
I believe GWS still has the most talented list something is definitely amiss at the club at the moment.

They need to turn around the attitude problem quickly next year or changes will be made in all areas.

A good coach would sought them out.

deskc

Team Captain
Jan 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'll never forget the 3 flags in first 10 years that most football people would speak of. Now more than ever if you don't have a good tactical coach you won't win a flag even if you have the best list in the comp. I can't see how Leon Cameron will coach next season because they will not win it in the next few years so is he going to be there for another 5 years. I don't think so

queensberryrules

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Game plan is all up the creek. Fix that.

New coach, maybe. Or some other new coaching personnel. I wouldn't make any rash decisions based on this particular year, but clearly a coaching shake up, a reset, a fresh approach, will do wonders, and a turn around can be very fast.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
No way the window closes when they have good talls at both ends - Phil Davis and Taylor will be back, the forwards can't play any worse - and a gun midfield.

Kelly, Whitfield, Taranto, Hopper, Tom Green, there's too much talent there. Like Tom Green, wow, imagine having him not even a regular in the side.

They are primed to do a Richmond 2016-2017 eventually. But they need to have a trade period like the Tigers did and unearth some hidden gems from the draft. And the coaching changes. And the attitude changes.

Unearth hidden gems?

Why do they need to do that, the list is overflowing with top end talent. Talent isn't the problem it's attitude and application.

The old saying 'a star team will always beat a team of stars' perfectly describes Richmond and GWS.

The Giants don't need more talent they need to develop and bring in players who will do the hard work, the selfless acts, the 1%ers that don't get noticed except by real football people.

It is all above the shoulders at GWS and some of this is unhealthy egos and lack of team first culture.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
Unearth hidden gems?

Why do they need to do that, the list is overflowing with top end talent. Talent isn't the problem it's attitude and application.

The old saying 'a star team will always beat a team of stars' perfectly describes Richmond and GWS.

The Giants don't need more talent they need to develop and bring in players who will do the hard work, the selfless acts, the 1%ers that don't get noticed except by real football people.

It is all above the shoulders at GWS and some of this is unhealthy egos and lack of team first culture.
Gws. Where talent goes to die

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Unearth hidden gems?

That's what I mean by hidden gems. They don't need skilled players in terms of kicking and handballing but they need guys who bring other talents to the table. Being a role player isn't just a matter of luck and heart. It's guys like Castagna who have excellent speed and really good ability to tackle. Or McIntosh who runs all day and thrives on winning one on one contests on the wing so you can kick it to him at any time and know he'll win or halve it.

Or the Puopolo and Stratton from the Hawks mini rebuild between 09 and 11.

Back