List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

O'Reilly being terrible doesn't make Picket good. They are independant.

Clearly we should have picked Riccardi in that draft if you want to hindsight it.
Of course they're independent. Picking up Pickett would also have been a poor decision, because he couldn't play last year anyway. The mid year draft as far as I know was designed to pick up players to plug holes that year. O'Reilly clearly wasn't going to play last year.

Of course they're independent. Picking up Pickett would also have been a poor decision, because he couldn't play last year anyway. The mid year draft as far as I know was designed to pick up players to plug holes that year. O'Reilly clearly wasn't going to play last year.
Who cares what the draft was designed for? You look at the rules and try and figure out the best way to get an advantage legally for your club. Clearly the execution was poor but I don't mind the idea.

Who cares what the draft was designed for? You look at the rules and try and figure out the best way to get an advantage legally for your club. Clearly the execution was poor but I don't mind the idea.
We have drafted exceptionally well since 2016 and the recruiters deserve huge credit. However the O’Reilly pick was a missed opportunity and given the fact his dad was a board member, some fans are understandably questioning the motives behind the decision. I know it was only a mid season draft with minimal elite talent available but you still want to maximise every opportunity that presents itself, big or small. Ricciardi would be a nice addition to our list now, though I acknowledge hindsight is 20:20.
Interestingly with reduced lists, the value of a list spot greatly increases. So every draft selection from now on needs to count even more than before.
That’s for every club apart from Gold Coast of course, who Gill allows to have a 51 man list with something like 11 rookies. 😡

We have drafted exceptionally well since 2016 and the recruiters deserve huge credit. However the O’Reilly pick was a missed opportunity and given the fact his dad was a board member, some fans are understandably questioning the motives behind the decision. I know it was only a mid season draft with minimal elite talent available but you still want to maximise every opportunity that presents itself, big or small. Ricciardi would be a nice addition to our list now, though I acknowledge hindsight is 20:20.
Interestingly with reduced lists, the value of a list spot greatly increases. So every draft selection from now on needs to count even more than before.
That’s for every club apart from Gold Coast of course, who Gill allows to have a 51 man list with something like 11 rookies. 😡
Gold Coast exist simply to give every other teams' supporters something to laugh at.

Prime opportunity to get a plug and play player on a short term contract to fill a hole for little cost. Why blow it on a project player?

No issues selecting a project player in the Mid Season Draft tbh. O’Reilly was just a strange choice.

Obviously Riccardi would’ve been the best option but if we’d gone with Michael Frederick for example, I feel we’d be happy enough with the pick.

You can pick a project player anytime. The players in the midyear draft aren't usually in high demand. A midyear draft is the perfect opportunity to pick up someone who you think may not be worth a list spot but is worth having a look at if you're short through injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. People are getting all hot and bothered about this mid season draft.

The thought process was to get in early with a 19/20 year old who would go in the next ND. Like Luke Ryan. The selection of O’Reilly was odd. He was injured needed a mini pre-season and hadn’t done anything in any of the games he played for East Fremantle earlier that year.

If you go through that draft not many will amount to much. We would have been better off drafting Chad Pearson or a developing ruck slightly more advanced than Meek. But whatever it was a failed rookie pick.

Ultimately most clubs will go for who they consider the best long term player to be.

I still think the MSD was designed by the AFL to essentially be priority picks in disguise and (in theory) guarantee that when the next Tim Kelly comes along they go to one of the bottom sides in the league rather than being drafted by a top eight side in the National Draft.

The AFL said it was for short term injury replacements as the football public wouldn’t react well to the AFL admitting the above.

Anyway, once you’re through the first 3-5 picks you’re probably looking at rookie standard players rather than guys that’d go second or third round. It’s very much going to have rookie list level success rate.

Last edited:
Failing at the mid season draft is so much better than failing in the first 20 picks of the real draft. Still hurt by drum, Dunn, Pitt, Simpson.
This is very true. Out first round drafting has been excellent since picking Weller in 2014. I don’t really care about the wasted rookie pick for the mid season draft. If there was however, some truth to the theory that O’Reilly was picked partly because he was Stephens son, now THAT would be a big concern.

This is very true. Out first round drafting has been excellent since picking Weller in 2014. I don’t really care about the wasted rookie pick for the mid season draft. If there was however, some truth to the theory that O’Reilly was picked partly because he was Stephens son, now THAT would be a big concern.

Some players are late developers so the mature age draft pick or mid season draft captures that.

D O’R was a potential of that, but never transitioned.. end of story...

It’s sort of like picking Farmers kid just in case he eventually came good as a late developer... not unheard off.. DNA being what it is But if he doesn’t O Well

Prime opportunity to get a plug and play player on a short term contract to fill a hole for little cost. Why blow it on a project player?
Pretty sure we weren't one mature player from finals or a flag push so why bother with a short term player. Long term made more sense.

I remember the times when we were going to petition the AFL to allow us to take Dillon O'Reilly as a father son pick.

Drafting is not an exact science until after the event.
To be fair that was just fans on here, none of the more serious draft guys had him getting picked up.

My Christmas wish list is: offer Brennan a good contract, offer Mundy another year, keep Watson, Meek and Valente (have to find out) on the list, draft Western, Walker and another Vic kid as good as Young and Serong, successfully rehab Pearce, Hamling, Sturt, Tucker and Young, and give JLo what he needs by way of assistants (no senior mentors).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back