List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

My Christmas wish list is: offer Brennan a good contract, offer Mundy another year, keep Watson, Meek and Valente (have to find out) on the list, draft Western, Walker and another Vic kid as good as Young and Serong, successfully rehab Pearce, Hamling, Sturt, Tucker and Young, and give JLo what he needs by way of assistants (no senior mentors).
All of this plus one important extra...
Sign Adam Cerra long term! Brayshaw too but especially Cerra. I guarantee every list manager in Melbourne will be looking west and getting in the ear of his manager Every day next season if he’s not signed up beyond 2021.

And yet he was invited to the national combine, meaning at least 5 clubs were interested in him
Lots of players go to combines and don't get picked. Check twomey and any of the draft guys on here. Dude was not rated. It's not like he was close either, missed both national and rookie draft then went back and completely failed to stand out in the WAFL.

I don’t see Watson in danger.
As for O’Reilly he’d still be on the list if it wasn’t for Covid I think.
Really feel for guys like Butters and even Pina. Normally they’re get at least two years to show their worth but alas...
On the other side of this, really good signs that Leno Thomas went to the hub!
Had one foot out of the door at the start of the season after that incident and he has obviously worked incredibly hard to have turned things around,
will be interesting to see if he makes the cut

Lots of players go to combines and don't get picked. Check twomey and any of the draft guys on here. Dude was not rated. It's not like he was close either, missed both national and rookie draft then went back and completely failed to stand out in the WAFL.

I think we viewed the mid season draft as a bit of a freebie and took O'Reilly in case he finished the year strong and pushed himself up the draft order. Based off his Colts form as a 17 year old, there was enough to be interested by - he just didn't really take his game to the next level in his draft year. But he seemingly put in some hard work after going undrafted, which probably got him over the line with the view it could lead to him recapturing some form.

Basically, we thought O'Reilly could have done a Jake Riccardi. He went from nothing to a third round pick. No real loss though, it's just a rookie spot and it sounds like Jarvis Pina was the other one we were looking at.

I think we viewed the mid season draft as a bit of a freebie and took O'Reilly in case he finished the year strong and pushed himself up the draft order. Based off his Colts form as a 17 year old, there was enough to be interested by - he just didn't really take his game to the next level in his draft year. But he seemingly put in some hard work after going undrafted, which probably got him over the line with the view it could lead to him recapturing some form.

Basically, we thought O'Reilly could have done a Jake Riccardi. He went from nothing to a third round pick. No real loss though, it's just a rookie spot and it sounds like Jarvis Pina was the other one we were looking at.
Yeah I don't really have a problem with having stab at a potential development player I just object to the idea he was highly rated in his draft year.

And given we haven't given Pina a debut he would likely have also been selected for list building rather than plug and play.

Pretty sure we weren't one mature player from finals or a flag push so why bother with a short term player. Long term made more sense.
Somewhere in the middle I reckon. Whilst Pickett made zero sense, injured and already 27/28 years old I felt we needed to go mature age but in the 20-24 age bracket.

I reckon we put this Mid season draft discussion to bed as I doubt there will be another one anytime soon. For mine 3 clubs got it right and for us Pickett wasn’t a viable option. Essendon and Collingwood picked two players who were 22 yrs old last year played some AFL games in the back end and have been solid this year in Will Snelling and John Noble. Both were very good performers in the SANFL and have speed. There were plenty of players in WAFL and VFL that also met that criteria like Jake Riccardi (21 yrs old Nov), Chad Pearson (turned 22 in Jun).

You could see what we were doing but just got it wrong and as was mentioned if not for COVID DOR might have got an extra year. If what I read and heard was correct our first choice was Jack Mayo (Subiaco - selected just before our pick), with DOR, Pina and Pearson being considered. There were teams passing before and after our pick so the talent pool dropped away.
  1. Josh Deluca (6 games - Delisted)
  2. Mitch Riordan (0 games - injured ACL)
  3. Kyle Dunkley (5 games)
  4. Michael Knoll (0 games - injured PCL and 27 years old)
  5. Lachlan Hosie (5 games)
  6. Ryan Gardner (9 games)
  7. Will Snelling (21 games - 23 years old)
  8. Jack Mayo (0 games - injured ACL)
  9. Cam Sutcliffe (5 games)
  10. Hawthorn - Pass
  11. Dillon O’Reilly (0 games - Delisted)
  12. Adelaide - Pass
  13. Marlion Pickett (15 games - 28 years old)
  14. John Noble (18 games - 23 years old)
  15. GC - Pass
  16. Cody Hirst (0 games - Delisted)
  17. WB - pass
  18. Essendon - pass

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dodged a bullet with Mitch McGovern it seems. Hes been putrid for the blues.
Yeh he is crapola. Takes the odd hanger but spends majority of the game doing stuff all.

I still have hope for Hogan but in general do away with trading high price for Key Forwards. We have dodged so many bullets
Black, Clarke, McGovern, Cloke, Schultz come to mind.

You could see when he was at Adelaide that he was crap.
who knew that it’s a lot easier when you’re the 4th banana in a forward line?

Another game by SPS where his ball use is slow and sloppy because he has no power at all in his kicking or handballing.

If he does return to WA, I wouldn't judge the club if they decided to give him a miss.

Mediocre development and conditioning of his body from Carltons' end after 70 odd games.

Looking like we will end up with pick 12.and 3 to 4 ngas taken before pick 12? Then we may end up with pick 15 or 16? Carroll in that range? Any one else good in that range? Saw walkers name in that range in some draft rankings. Could be a problem?

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looking like we will end up with pick 12.and 3 to 4 ngas taken before pick 12? Then we may end up with pick 15 or 16? Carroll in that range? Any one else good in that range? Saw walkers name in that range in some draft rankings. Could be a problem?

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we keep that pick it seems based on the phantoms that it could be used on one of
Carroll
Perkins
Reid
O'Driscoll
Henry
Chapman
unless a Thilthorpe, Bruhn, Phillips, DGB fall down to us.

Last edited:
My Christmas wish list is: offer Brennan a good contract, offer Mundy another year, keep Watson, Meek and Valente (have to find out) on the list, draft Western, Walker and another Vic kid as good as Young and Serong, successfully rehab Pearce, Hamling, Sturt, Tucker and Young, and give JLo what he needs by way of assistants (no senior mentors).
Plus Young and Serong to sign on for another two years (min).
And Cerra and Brayshaw long term, especially Cerra. More of a flight risk that Andy IMO.

My opinion only but Walker won’t be bid on at 15. Possibly closer to our second pick which once the dust settles will be around 32-35. I’d say he is 25-45 range and Joel Western 40-60 range. If we can get a third rounder (mid 3rd preferably) for Blakely we will be well set up. Remembering that we will have surplus points (to offset any deficit at the end of the draft) from having our 1st pick pushed down and if we do match a bid close to our second pick for Walker we will then also have some surplus points (after discount) that moves forward our last pick in the ND.

Also if someone pulls the plug on Walker in the top 14 (Extremely unlikely) then we don’t have to match. Stick to our compiled list of best available talent.

Walls knows what he is doing so trust the system. With the impact of COVID it seems to be a very even draft. Was listening to the Brisbane recruiter and he is very happy about having two late first rounders with expectations for some players to slide down to their pick that they rate higher than other clubs.

My opinion only but Walker won’t be bid on at 15. Possibly closer to our second pick which once the dust settles will be around 32-35.

My understanding is that if a player is bid on then the club needs to match if they want the player minus a discount, end up result is that it chews up draft points and hence draft position for the rest of the draft or worst case future draft.

So earlier the bid the more points.

I expect the opposite to the above, and that picks will disappear in the mid range. So don’t expect our second round Melb pick to slide out to mid 30’s.

Clubs needing to use up picks will have picks disappearing, they may trade back, but if they have to match bids in the first round say good bye to 2nd and 3rd even 4th round picks. Look at what happened to Freo and it’s carry over deficit.

It would take a decent spreadsheet but not impossible to come up with ( I’m sure the clubs have something suitable worked out) to deal with matching pick values and which picks would disappear. Gets messy but will be some big winners!

I was looking into it.

The Dogs and Sydney have their picks chewed up after our second, but Port is before so that's the key one.

We will have a better picture after trade week but it's not unreasonable to expect our first pick might be mid teen by the time it gets called.

So trading it might not be terrible if it gets us a best 22 player

Isn’t there a chance our second pick (say pick 32 for argument sake) comes in a bit if some top 10 prospects are bid and matched.
Eg. JUH is bid on at pick 2, dogs match with pick 25, pick 30 pick 50 (whatever). There will surely be some second round picks in the 20s chewed up matching bids. It might shove our second forward a bit in some of the bids?
Going to be fascinating to see what happens on the night actually.

Isn’t there a chance our second pick (say pick 32 for argument sake) comes in a bit if some top 10 prospects are bid and matched.
Eg. JUH is bid on at pick 2, dogs match with pick 25, pick 30 pick 50 (whatever). There will surely be some second round picks in the 20s chewed up matching bids. It might shove our second forward a bit in some of the bids?
Going to be fascinating to see what happens on the night actually.

Picks do come in, but new picks are also created at the bid spot.

The dogs matching #1 will remove their pick #10, but create a new #1. If the academy teams trade their first then it opens it right up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back