Review PORT v Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta love it when a Victorian teams coach complains about their opponent not having to travel.

They serve Irony in buckets in the AFL, and there's still leftovers.

Even more so when you consider we've played away more than home in a season where we live in one of the states where you can actually play football.

I remember Tredrea missing a very gettable early goal in the 2002 qualifying final against Collingwood, and I immediately thought to myself, "This ain't gonna be our night." So it proved, and if Charlie follows suit in a couple of weeks, it might be deja vu.

What about when Brett Ebert shanked that first shot on goal in the 2007 GF 😱

Even more so when you consider we've played away more than home in a season where we live in one of the states where you can actually play football.

Surely we have travelled the most of any team this season? Perth teams just HUB HOME HUB. Vic teams mostly HOME HUB and a touch of travel. Crows more games than us at AO.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well that was an enjoyable win despite the slog, a complete domination with a gameplan that steamrolled our opposition.

But seriously how good is it to see a more consistent team that shows up during the H&A week to week like clockwork. Finals is a very different beast but the yoyo form seems gone which is a big step forward.

Houston was terrific in defense, I loved the mistake he made and then sprinting to the next contest to spoil the ball out of bounds.

Its insane how hard Boak runs, he is hungry for a flag no doubt.

Wines back to his old self, reminding all of us of that dominant big bodied mid between 2014-2017.

Rockliff playing that s***stirrer Josh Carr role beautifully.

An unpopular viewpoint, but I think currently theres little daylight between an available Burton and Bonner. The latter has had more match time and the one who I'd rather back in the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely we have travelled the most of any team this season? Perth teams just HUB HOME HUB. Vic teams mostly HOME HUB and a touch of travel. Crows more games than us at AO.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I've been saying for a while we've had the toughest travel conditions this year. In the first hub, never had a string of home games in a row, playing in conditions continually changing, two midday starts in Queensland in a row with same day travel, fewer games in our home state than our direct rival.

You can't talk down the travel conditions we have played under.

When the game was there to be won, we won it. Impressive team performance. Motlop grew as the game went on and ended up with a goal and two direct goal assists. Bonner had his best game of the season. People talk about our weaknesses but our strength is our consistency of effort- we are an ugly team with some beautiful components.

Victoria Park update.

Just walked last Charlie Dixon walking his dog. I think he caught me trying to stealth a photo. Fair to say i was a little awestruck.

If you're reading this Charlie, I meant no harm m8.

Not sure if I'm more jealous about Elspeth or Chuck tbh.

Well that was an enjoyable win despite the slog, a complete domination with a gameplan that steamrolled our opposition.

But seriously how good is it to see a more consistent team that shows up during the H&A week to week like clockwork. Finals is a very different beast but the yoyo form seems gone which is a big step forward.

Houston was terrific in defense, I loved the mistake he made and then sprinting to the next contest to spoil the ball out of bounds.

Its insane how hard Boak runs, he is hungry for a flag no doubt.

Wines back to his old self, reminding all of us of that dominant big bodied mid between 2014-2017.

Rockliff playing that s***stirrer Josh Carr role beautifully.

An unpopular viewpoint, but I think currently theres little daylight between an available Burton and Bonner. The latter has had more match time and the one who I'd rather back in the finals.

That Houston went along at 97% efficiency did it even rain during the game?

Seriously, are we the hardest and BEST tackling side in the competition as we have moved the art of tackling up a few notches? Yes, I think we are by a long shot.
I counted at a least 5 occasions last night that an Essendon player was doubled tagged. We are so relentless in stopping the opposition from trying to move the ball on.
With “duckers” being banished from the game our tackles are sticking causing the opposition player to just throw the ball away - an easy HTB decision for the umpires to adjudicate.
At all home games I religiously keep a running tally of free kicks, both for and against and in 2020 we are well ahead in the positive zone. Yes, that’s unheard off for a Port team
I put it down to our clinical and correct tackling methods where we are winning many HTB decisions and the stamping out of the “duckers” and “stagers”.
Go the Power!

Last edited:
Seriously, are we the hardest and BEST tackling side in the competition
This is why I like us against Richmond over say Geelong.

We've gone with their game style and can perform it just as well.

Probably our best football over the Adelaide Oval era has been the manic pressure moments.

What about when Brett Ebert shanked that first shot on goal in the 2007 GF
The flipside is also true.

If Charlie can manage to clunk 2 early in big finals and kick straight we will be up and about and the oppo will be panicking

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back